[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | ~115m & 70m | 35 & 20 Levels

#31 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Is the building of any architectural merit or is it just an emotional attachment to the business that's inside? As great as the business inside is it can be moved and it's unfortunate but the reality is the building is run down and of little architectural significance and the proposed development sounds like a massive improvement.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by SRW » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I have to admit I feel rather less strongly about Rhino Room than I did the Jade Monkey, probably in part because it played less of a role in my formative years than did the Jade, but also because the space it occupies is not IMO particularly unique or irreplaceable. I'm prepared to judge this proposal on whether it has more benefits for the East End than detractions overall. That being said, I think it's rather lazy for developers to buy into an area and then wipe clean away the things that make the area attractive. Hopefully, if in their proposal the Rhino Room is demolished, they dedicate space in the resulting development for the continuation of such entertainment in the East End. After all, it's one of the reasons why people want to come to and live there.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#33 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Oh, there's definitely no outstanding architectural merit for keeping the building around that I'm aware of, it's just that if fills a great niche in being a small venue with multiple areas suitable for shows, music events and the like. While the businesses and events involved will move, the scene and the Fringe will lose one of its major hubs.
It's not culturally large enough to justify blocking the development, but it's significant enough that its loss will be felt.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Mpol » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:32 pm

So help me god if there will be another blank 100 or 70m wall... Too many of this round of proposals are just blank... With wall... So sad

Algernon

#35 Post by Algernon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:41 pm

Mpol wrote:So help me god if there will be another blank 100 or 70m wall... Too many of this round of proposals are just blank... With wall... So sad
Blank walls occur on narrow alotments mostly, although there are exceptions like Kodo.

If this has blank walls it'd be maliciously dodgy as there's technically no need for it.

Patrick_27

#36 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:19 pm

Well, that's me out. Fuck this development. I have more integrity than to simply froth at the mouth over yet another proposal for a 100m+ tall building in this city. To users such as ghs, I may come across as a whinging nanna or a member of the APPA but this is more than that; the character of these kinds of venues is irreplaceable, these sorts of venues give this city life, and your comments seriously demonstrate just how lacking your understanding and respect of culture is.

Algernon

#37 Post by Algernon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Well, that's me out. Fuck this development. I have more integrity than to simply froth at the mouth over yet another proposal for a 100m+ tall building in this city. To users such as ghs, I may come across as a whinging nanna or a member of the APPA but this is more than that; the character of these kinds of venues is irreplaceable, these sorts of venues give this city life, and your comments seriously demonstrate just how lacking your understanding and respect of culture is.
I wouldn't say this is the end of culture as we know it. Really, the peculiar thing about Adelaide is these sorts of places are pretty sporadic in where they pop up. Maybe this can spur things along for operators in this industry to consolidate around one area where your noisy neighbour can't complain about the noise because they're also your noisy neighbour. If they all dot the landscape individually then they're bound to be picked off one by one as each new tower is proposed.

We've got plenty of empty C and D office buildings, paint one of those purple.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Spurdo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:08 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Well, that's me out. Fuck this development. I have more integrity than to simply froth at the mouth over yet another proposal for a 100m+ tall building in this city. To users such as ghs, I may come across as a whinging nanna or a member of the APPA but this is more than that; the character of these kinds of venues is irreplaceable, these sorts of venues give this city life, and your comments seriously demonstrate just how lacking your understanding and respect of culture is.
Because everyone knows that as soon as the Rhino Room gets shut down, all live music venues, pubs and nightclubs will just go *poof* and magically disappear into thin air.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by Mpol » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:39 am

With the west coming alive, it would be nice to see entertainment hubs developed on both sides of the CBD. Rundle St, with the potential RA redeveloping, could really prosper in-spite of the hospital leaving. The West, with the University/student accom coming through, could see a lot flourish. Hindley St has a lot of older spaces waiting to be turned into great little venues. Adelaide's CBD has so much potential. I really hope the next five years see it really shake off the county town image.

I love the Rhino Room an the cluster of buildings in this area are very cute. I hope if this development goes ahead, RR can move into a space as accommodating.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by Pikey » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:48 am

Culture doesn't die with a building. Culture dies with a lack of people wishing to perpetuate it. I'm sure that through Renew SA, a suitable location (maybe even better) can be found for the Rhino room.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by mshagg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Algernon wrote:
I wouldn't say this is the end of culture as we know it. Really, the peculiar thing about Adelaide is these sorts of places are pretty sporadic in where they pop up. Maybe this can spur things along for operators in this industry to consolidate around one area where your noisy neighbour can't complain about the noise because they're also your noisy neighbour. If they all dot the landscape individually then they're bound to be picked off one by one as each new tower is proposed.

We've got plenty of empty C and D office buildings, paint one of those purple.
Yeah, this was picked up by the live music resident thinker that prepared a report on the topic back in 2013.

http://www.dunstan.org.au/resources/pub ... rt2013.pdf

In essence, the type of use across Adelaide is so mixed that it makes this challenging, as opposed to having defined precincts.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Ben » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:56 pm

I wonder if we've matured as a forum. This is likely to be our second tallest or potentially even new tallest at 35 levels and no one even cares. Back in 2008 everyone would have left wet patches behind them.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by Plasmatron » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:18 pm

I understand both sides of the argument, but my excitement for the prospect of this massive development going ahead far outweighs the disappointment of losing a venue that can easily be relocated.
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

noted
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by noted » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Plasmatron wrote:I understand both sides of the argument, but my excitement for the prospect of this massive development going ahead far outweighs the disappointment of losing a venue that can easily be relocated.
Tend to agree- sad to see some cultural heritage go with the Rhino Room and some historical heritage go with the G&G building, but the benefits outweigh the costs imo.

I have been impressed with some of the 100m+ proposals going around at the moment, which leaves me pretty hopeful for this one too. Having said that if it the same sort of low standard as Kodo (which will hopefully fall over), then I will be the first to join the protestors.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by Mpol » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:01 pm

To add to it, I feel with Renew Adelaide doing some wonderful things, the relocation and potential revamp of this venue could only be a good thing.