News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1846 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Kick the ground floor tenants out and converts the ground and first floor into 2 level h and m and Zara or top shop.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#1847 Post by mshagg » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:29 am

Rundle mall plaza really is a fantastic example of a terrible arcade. It's entrance is dark and unwelcoming, set back by the display windows either side and completely dominated by the stairs to the basement with the actual ground floor tenants 'hidden' from view.

Compare the entrance with Adelaide Central Plaza or Rundle Place which feel bright, open and welcoming... and you can actually see who/what is in there.

If jbhifi wasn't a tenant I'd be surprised if any shoppers would ever set foot in there. Little wonder tenants come and go without fanfare.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1848 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:43 am

The place really is crying out for a total refurb of the retail space. Such a wasted opportunity.

ghs

#1849 Post by ghs » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:07 am

The western food court in Chinatown has closed down and work on the refurbishment has started.

I live on the western side of the CBD and there's 'For Lease' signs everywhere.
Adelaide City council and the state & federal governments have made it impossible for retailers to do business in the city.

There's parking inspectors all over the place.
There's less car parks in the street these days.
Weekend Penalty rates are ridiculously high.
Superannuation is increasing.
Liquor licences involve a lot of red tape.

To startup a retail outlet in the city, outside of Rundle Mall, you would have to be off your rocker.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1850 Post by monotonehell » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:05 pm

ghs wrote:The western food court in Chinatown has closed down and work on the refurbishment has started.

I live on the western side of the CBD and there's 'For Lease' signs everywhere.
Adelaide City council and the state & federal governments have made it impossible for retailers to do business in the city.
...white noise....
Please provide evidence that any of the points you've highlighted have caused the exodus of tenants on that side of the city.

Sounds more like failed business models in an ever changing economy.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#1851 Post by Spurdo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:10 pm

ghs wrote:There's parking inspectors all over the place. There's less car parks in the street these days.
Mate, this is SenAd, you're supposed to despise motorists, not sympathise with them. jks :lol:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1852 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:57 pm

ghs wrote:Liquor licences involve a lot of red tape.
Over 60 new bars/eateries have opened up in the city alone since the liquor licence changes. Plus the opening of new nightclub / entertainment venues.

Tuesday night just gone, venues along Peel Street were completely full of people. A far cry from 2-3 years ago.

If you want to look at extreme red tape, look at our largest city.

The Scooter Guy

#1853 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Spotlight will be vacating Level 2 Rundle Mall Plaza in the next 4 weeks or so.

Levels 1 and 2 will then be vacant which is a sizeable space in a prominent spot with direct access through to the Myer Centre.

Granted, it's not at ground level but I reckon the two floors together would easily be big enough for a large TopShop or a medium-sized H&M. If only...
The former HS on Level 1 Rundle Mall Plaza has been vacant since Rundle Place opened.

I think Harvey Norman could take over both floors as City Cross could be under profound risk of foreclosure.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1854 Post by how good is he » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Harvey Norman have a long term lease so doubt they could/would move. On what info/grounds to you make the comment about a foreclosure (which I seriously doubt) on citycross? So if you are referring then to the landlord Mr Makris, please elaborate?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1855 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:27 pm

how good is he wrote:Harvey Norman have a long term lease so doubt they could/would move. On what info/grounds to you make the comment about a foreclosure (which I seriously doubt) on citycross? So if you are referring then to the landlord Mr Makris, please elaborate?
City Cross is on the market, and being promoted as a major development opportunity.

ghs

#1856 Post by ghs » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:40 pm

Over 60 new bars/eateries have opened up in the city alone since the liquor licence changes. Plus the opening of new nightclub / entertainment venues.

Tuesday night just gone, venues along Peel Street were completely full of people. A far cry from 2-3 years ago.

If you want to look at extreme red tape, look at our largest city.
I probably made a mistake in mentioning liquor licensing as an issue.
There's still a ridiculous amount of retail outlets
for lease in the city. Government and ACC need to get more
people into the CBD. There must be some frustrated property
owners around town who can't find tenants.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1857 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Rather than wanting everything handed on a platter, maybe the property owners should convert some of their empty officers into affordable apartments.

Residential developers have never had it so good in this country and in this state. Stamp duty concessions. Low interest rates. Open residential market. Low construction costs. What else do they want?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1858 Post by how good is he » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:05 pm

Yes City Cross is on the market but the word foreclosure implies the bank has foreclosed/called in the debt and it's a forced sale. If this is what Scooter Guy means I would say that is quite a serious misrepresentation without any evidence. Further it shows (to me anyway) that Makris is serious & cashing up to develop the Le Cornu site next year.

gingernuts
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1859 Post by gingernuts » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:07 pm

I noticed that the fancy Max Mara has closed down on North Terrace. Nice location for a boutique brand.

Nathan

#1860 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:42 pm

In brighter news, Burger Theory are expanding into China, franchising 120 stores. That's a pretty meteoric rise from a single food truck a few years ago.