[COM] Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#16 Post by Cruise » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:14 pm

pushbutton wrote:The upgrade has already taken place and is now complete.

To fully appreciate it you have to go up to the rooftop carpark.

There you will be able to see that most of the barriers surrounding the rooftop carpark have been painted in a very - erm - unusual dark blue, and the 4 huge concrete lumps sticking out of the rooftop carpark are no longer as ugly as they once were.

They're now even uglier and have been painted various eye-catching colours, depending on what was going cheap at Paint Supplies on the day.

Why not spend a few hours walking around the centre (inside and outside) and see how many different paint colours you can count on the various pillars, fences, walls, doors, signposts, barriers and concrete lumps.

I'm told that no other shopping centre in Australia has such a bright and varied colour scheme. There really is something for everyone at Arndale!
I was there today and ummm.... i guess the 60 million went to pay the fine for the crime against good taste. Also i believe there would be no other shopping centre with such a bright colour scheme because no other centre in Australia would be stupid enough to approve it?

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#17 Post by JAKJ » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
pushbutton wrote:The upgrade has already taken place and is now complete.

To fully appreciate it you have to go up to the rooftop carpark.

There you will be able to see that most of the barriers surrounding the rooftop carpark have been painted in a very - erm - unusual dark blue, and the 4 huge concrete lumps sticking out of the rooftop carpark are no longer as ugly as they once were.

They're now even uglier and have been painted various eye-catching colours, depending on what was going cheap at Paint Supplies on the day.

Why not spend a few hours walking around the centre (inside and outside) and see how many different paint colours you can count on the various pillars, fences, walls, doors, signposts, barriers and concrete lumps.

I'm told that no other shopping centre in Australia has such a bright and varied colour scheme. There really is something for everyone at Arndale!
I was there today and ummm.... i guess the 60 million went to pay the fine for the crime against good taste. Also i believe there would be no other shopping centre with such a bright colour scheme because no other centre in Australia would be stupid enough to approve it?
This sounds awesome I have to get down there sometime.. A monument to bad taste :lol:

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#18 Post by Edgar » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:55 am

Cruise Control wrote:
pushbutton wrote:
sorry out of topic a little bit, but your nicknames are funny and happily go along together :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cruise Control Push Button. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#19 Post by pushbutton » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Glad you like my name!

Yes the Arndale centre really is one of a dying breed, In the 60s andf 70s and even early 80s there used to be numerous shopping centres in Adelaide with a similar style and look to Arndale.

Sadly most of these have long ago been "modernised" and all the colours and so forth have been replaced by bland, sterile and far too professional looking decor.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#20 Post by Cruise » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:54 pm

Cruise Control PushButton

All forums seem to like my name LOL

And Push Button good name too!!!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Approved : Centro Arndale Redevelopment - $60m

#21 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 am

From the Messenger
THE Arndale shopping centre will undergo a $100 million upgrade instead of the $60 million revamp proposed last year.

The upgrade will expand the Kilkenny shopping centre by 28percent, adding nearly 11,350sqm of floor space.

Centro Properties Group had originally wanted to expand it by 5800sq.

Centro Arndale manager Mario Boscaini said the centre layout had been revised.

``Rather than doing it in two separate stages we've decided to do it in one,'' he said.

Vacant warehouses north-east of the centre will be razed to make way for the expansion.

The revamp will include a new food court, a fresh food precinct and a bigger Big W.

Mr Boscaini said more than 1000 jobs would be created during construction and in retail. The works will be finished by 2009.

Centro Properties Group bought the shopping centre from Westfield in 2003 for $117 million.

It was last upgraded in the late 1990s when the cinemas were added. Charles Sturt Council is amending its development plan to allow the expansion to go ahead.

Under the site's current zoning rules, shops including supermarkets, discount shops and restaurants, are not allowed.

The council has released a draft Plan Amendment Report (PAR) to amend its plan and allow these types of shops to be part of the centre.

People wanting to comment on the PAR need to submit their representations to the council by Wednesday, August 15. For more information visit the council's website at http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Howie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks for that beamer.. hope they move quickly on this, they were initially planning to start construction beginning of the year.

Here's the floor plan for the new Arndale, it similar in size to West Lakes shopping mall.

And here is the current site as viewed through google earth

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#23 Post by Cruise » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:15 pm

Under the site's current zoning rules, shops including supermarkets, discount shops and restaurants, are not allowed.

ummm so what is currently allowed?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#24 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Cruise Control wrote:

ummm so what is currently allowed?
Warehousing, one would assume. The "site" they're taliking about is the now-vacant warehouses northeast(?) of the current centre. That would put them across Hanson Road. I suspect the journo had his/her map turned sideways or something.
cheers,
Rhino

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Howie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:03 pm

Just uploaded an image of the current site along side the plan..

check my edited post above.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #Approved : Centro Arndale Redevelopment - $100m

#26 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:05 pm

My bad. Across Hanson Road would be northwest. :oops: :oops:
The warehouses to the northeast are clearly visible on that photo.
cheers,
Rhino

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#27 Post by rev » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:27 pm

The warehouses are located in the top left corner of that photo, they are opposite the existing Big W. Used to be an auto action joint.
Those aren't the real problem with Arndale anyway, the problem is its dated exterior and interior. Lets hope they get the overdue facelift they need. The surrounding suburbs are being rejuvinated, so would be good for Arndale to get a proper make over.

Btw, this hasn't been approved yet.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#28 Post by rev » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:44 pm

Now approved.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:01 pm

excellent... was this in the messenger?