Kangaroo Island | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #U/C: Southern Ocean Lodge (K.I.) 6-Star Resort

#16 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:06 pm

I would say it's got something to do with being able to offer something the 5-star hotels can't - wilderness.
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#17 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:49 am

Diamondov wrote:Out of all the other places in Australia, why is our second 6-star hotel on Kangaroo Island??? :?
Im guessing youve never been to kangaroo island have you?

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Diamond » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:00 pm

No siree..
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:53 am

KI is a beautiful place!!!

Should go there diamondov......preferably when this resort gets done....then give us feedback!! hehe

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#20 Post by Cruise » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:43 pm

ive heard its $900 a night.......

and im going to KI at the end of the month!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:28 pm

Well going at the end of the month isn't that useful to us now isn't it!! lol

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Edgar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:57 am

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

CARA JENKIN, REGIONAL REPORTER

January 31, 2008 12:10am

WEALTHY international tourists have booked to stay at South Australia's newest luxurious resort well into next year – two months ahead of its scheduled opening.
Kangaroo Island's $12 million Southern Ocean Lodge has been completely booked for the opening night on Saturday, March 29.

The development is nestled among pristine bushland on the southern side of the island, near Flinders Chase National Park, and overlooks the coastline of Hanson Bay.

Suite rates start at $900 per person per night, with the cost for the most luxurious suite with sweeping views of the coastline and bushland fetching $1800 per person per night.

The cost includes all meals, beverages and nature-based activities offered through the lodge.

Baillie Lodges director James Baillie said the island, like much of regional South Australia, was missing a "top end" accommodation facility.

He said the natural beauty of Kangaroo Island was very attractive to international tourists with money to spend.

"We have been doing a lot of international promotion but we also have done relatively well in the domestic market," he said.P> Construction began in January, 2007 and the remaining land on the 100 hectare property has been granted conservation status to prevent further development.

The lodge has 21 suites, each with their own unique interrupted view of Hanson Bay through wall to ceiling glass frontage.

Mr Baillie said the environment had been at the forefront of the development's ideals since its inception and it would continue to be a nature-based facility.

He said rainwater was the major water source, although a small desalination plant had been built to compensate during summer.

Recycled materials had also been used in the buildings and walkways.

The lodge has been built with minimal removal of native vegetation and an extensive bushfire protection system had been installed.

This is what the Vic doesn't have!
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by JamesXander » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:14 pm

Whenever I talk to someone about KI they say they always end up playing monopoly.

Whether thats a good thing or not

I am not sure.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Wayno » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:44 pm

i foresee K.I. having 1-2 huge marina's, several boutique resorts, and extra ferries going to/fro daily in 3-5yrs time - all while retaining those far away beaches and vistas where all you can do is sit and play monopoly :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by JamesXander » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:50 pm

haha. Some serious games of monopoly have been played on that island. They always end in allegations of cheating though.

Kangaroo Island- Monopoly playing capital of the world

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Kangaroo Island | Developments & News

#26 Post by Wayno » Thu May 01, 2008 1:16 pm

The Seafront Hotel (including adjacent apartment block) in Kingscote is up for Sale. I believe this will be a litmus test for Kangaroo Island, and SA in general.
ozone.JPG
ozone.JPG (32.54 KiB) Viewed 9338 times
I'm still amazed that K.I. is yet to have any large marinas, and is ripe for a swag of retirements housing. K.I is starting to get more international attention due to the new "super-pricey" southern Ocean Lodge resort that charges $900+ per room per night.

My prediction is property prices will soon start skyrocketing. As a rough guide, you can still buy 1/4acre housing blocks with rustic holiday shacks just back from some nice beaches for around $150k - amazing.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Kingscote Ozone Hotel up for Sale (incl apartments)

#27 Post by Omicron » Thu May 01, 2008 11:56 pm

From that view, the apartment wing looks like a prison. I eagerly await the day when people are able to make the distinction between 'ugly,flat, obviously cheap shit' and 'proper Bauhaus minimalism'.

urban
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by urban » Thu May 15, 2008 3:54 pm

Don't hold your breath

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by muzzamo » Thu May 15, 2008 5:58 pm

We are just after the peak of the largest housing bubble the world has ever seen so i'm not sure about house prices on the Island.

The new part of the Hotel is actually quite nice (i've stayed there), the old part across the road especially the pool is really quite crappy.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Pistol » Tue May 27, 2008 12:17 pm

Wayno wrote: My prediction is property prices will soon start skyrocketing. As a rough guide, you can still buy 1/4acre housing blocks with rustic holiday shacks just back from some nice beaches for around $150k - amazing.
My best mate just bought 100 acres of land with ocean views just back from a beautiful beach on the island for 90k. If your prediction is correct (and I am sure it is near the mark) he is sitting pretty for the future.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken