SA Liberals propose new road, airport, rail bypass

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: SA Liberals propose new road, airport, rail bypass

#46 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:58 am

Norton summit road is even more dangerous than the old Eagle on the Hill climb before the Heysen Tunnels were built! Get real.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by HiTouch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Norton summit road is even more dangerous than the old Eagle on the Hill climb before the Heysen Tunnels were built! Get real.
For once I agree with you Shuz. It doesn't make sense! Maybe Aidan meant Eagle on the Hill road or something via Strathalbyn?

Aidan

SA Liberals propose new road, airport, rail bypass

#48 Post by Aidan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:31 pm

HiTouch, I DID NOT MENTION NORTON SUMMIT ROAD. You did and fraudulently attributed it to me.

The route the Liberals are spruiking is via Truro. It's likely Labor will also encourage trucks to go that way before long. A rail route that way is even more desparately needed, though Labor are less likely to support that having wasted hundreds of millions upgrading the existing route.

FWIW I'd also like to see a new road from Macclesfield to Woodchester. so that traffic from the outer southern suburbs can reach the freeway at Callington without havign to detour into Strathalbyn. But I'm not suggesting that become a major freight route either.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:35 am

:!: HiTouch is warned for gaslighting.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by HiTouch » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:37 am

Aidan wrote:HiTouch, I DID NOT MENTION NORTON SUMMIT ROAD. You did and fraudulently attributed it to me.
Ok ok, so maybe you didn't say those things and I'm sorry if you feel I put words in your mouth but it doesn't discount the fact that it is a terrible idea and trucks can't go up that road. No Road Train would be able to approach those turns let alone get the right angle. Plus, it's only 2 narrow lanes and there is no room for any overtaking lane. It would also hassle the locals who already use this road to commute. There is heaps of wildlife in that area that would be negatively affected as well by the noise and roadkill. There is also a high amount of blindspots where drivers struggle to see incoming traffic today and with road trains going up, it would make things incredibly dangerous.
The route the Liberals are spruiking is via Truro. It's likely Labor will also encourage trucks to go that way before long. A rail route that way is even more desparately needed, though Labor are less likely to support that having wasted hundreds of millions upgrading the existing route
Surely you cannot deny that an alternative freight route to P'Rush road is desperately needed. The freight is literally going through a school zone. It's actually a disaster waiting to happen. What would be your alternative to this? Upgrade the road? Build a tunnel?

FWIW I'd also like to see a new road from Macclesfield to Woodchester. so that traffic from the outer southern suburbs can reach the freeway at Callington without havign to detour into Strathalbyn. But I'm not suggesting that become a major freight route either.
I like this idea for connecting the outer southern suburbs but that only sorts out the south part of the issue, the inner north, port, eastern and western suburbs are still negatively affected.

Aidan

#51 Post by Aidan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:30 pm

HiTouch,
Of course Norton Summit Road's not suitsble for road trains. Where did you get the idea that anyone was suggesting trucks go that way?

Where's the school zone the freight on Portrush Road is going through?

I do have plans for a tunnel, though I'm not willing to discuss them yet. Meanwhile Cross Road is a practical alternative to Portrush Road, and the detour via Truro is already an option.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by HiTouch » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:21 pm

Aidan wrote:HiTouch,
Of course Norton Summit Road's not suitsble for road trains. Where did you get the idea that anyone was suggesting trucks go that way?
I'm not willing to share where it came from but lets just say it has been a legitimate idea that has been going around for the past couple of weeks.
Where's the school zone the freight on Portrush Road is going through?
Although not technically a schoolzone there is a school crossing to Loretto College and Marryatville High School that could prove disaster.

I do have plans for a tunnel, though I'm not willing to discuss them yet. Meanwhile Cross Road is a practical alternative to Portrush Road, and the detour via Truro is already an option.

A tunnel would only be part of equation though wouldn't it?

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#53 Post by victorious80 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:44 am

Living in the area and having school aged kids, the fact that the major freight route runs past the front door of no less than 6 schools before it reaches Hampstead Rd (Loreto, St Josephs Memorial, St Ignatius College, St Josephs Payneham, Trinity Gardens Primary, Vale Park Primary) is a major concern. I don't profess to have the answer, but the current route is extremely unsafe and not a long term solution. Cross Rd seems the logical solution with space to widen the road until around Belair Rd. Further west of Belair Rd will be trickier; something for the transport gurus to handle.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:11 am

victorious80 wrote:Living in the area and having school aged kids, the fact that the major freight route runs past the front door of no less than 6 schools before it reaches Hampstead Rd (Loreto, St Josephs Memorial, St Ignatius College, St Josephs Payneham, Trinity Gardens Primary, Vale Park Primary) is a major concern. I don't profess to have the answer, but the current route is extremely unsafe and not a long term solution. Cross Rd seems the logical solution with space to widen the road until around Belair Rd. Further west of Belair Rd will be trickier; something for the transport gurus to handle.
Except that there's schools that way as well.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide Hills Freight Bypass

#55 Post by fishinajar » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Aidan wrote:...We need a new route to enable trains to carry double stacked containers on the Melbourne route...
Is double stacked even possible in and out from Melbourne? I didn't think it was.
Patrick_27 wrote:I've felt that if they moved the RAAF base to Monarto it'd open up Edinburgh for a more appropriately located Adelaide Airport. Don't expect anyone to agree with me on this point but perhaps there might be an option to create both a freight and RAAF airport at Monarto...
More appropriately located? What is wrong with our present airports location? Yeah sorry I don't agree with you on this one.

johnnydougherty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#56 Post by johnnydougherty » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:49 pm

I agree, I don't see any point of this new airport. We haven't even had any cargo freights coming in to Adelaide, and most of the cargo is exported through existing passenger around Australia. But then I came here with a positive outlook, who knows maybe this will be a big change and improvement in the near future with the help of BRI air freight in Adelaide. They want build a new freight only airport with rail and roads links back to Ports of Adelaide which is good.