[U/C] WEST (Football Park) | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: AAMI Stadium Redevelopment | 1800 homes / offices / retail

#46 Post by how good is he » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm

No incorrect Nathan...from The Advertiser March 19 2016 -

AAMI Stadium’s four 60m light towers are poised to shine on in Papua New Guinea because a freight company is considering shipping them from the defunct stadium.

PNG’s cricket authorities are in talks through Cricket Australia with Adelaide-based Commercial & General, which in late 2014 bought the stadium from the SANFL for $71 million.

The lights are being considered for an upgrade of Port Moresby’s Amini Park ground, the home of PNG Cricket.

An Irish ground had expressed interest, but PNG is now the most likely option to take the towers as part of C & G’s planned stadium demolition. C & G is planning a residential project at the one-time home of South Australian football.

To save money, project director Chris Menz says dismantling the lights and shipping them overseas is being considered.

The steel light towers were built in sections, are in good condition and can be relatively easily dismantled, Menz says. The light frames, however, are a ­little worse for wear.

If the PNG option falls through, Menz says C & G is open to other offers from overseas or regional Australian city sports grounds that might be interested in some second-hand stadium illumination.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by crawf » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm pretty sure Nathan was being sarcastic and referring to the ridiculous retractable lights at A.O. in the 90s. :P

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 pm

crawf wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 pm
I'm pretty sure Nathan was being sarcastic and referring to the ridiculous retractable lights at A.O. in the 90s. :P
Yes, specifically the one that literally fell over. :banana:

Algernon

#49 Post by Algernon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 am

how good is he wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:41 am
Ok I thought the developer owned the light towers and had done a deal to sell them overseas...possibly it fell over. I think they will also be building the retail/new shopping strip in that area also. Maybe the shopping centre will be on the ground and the retirement apartments built above it?
Was going by an interview with John Olsen of the SANFL. No buyers for the light towers according to him.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#50 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:30 pm

New $50m aged-care plan for Footy Park unveiled
DEMOLITION STARTS A NEW $50 million, five-storey aged-care complex has been unveiled for the northeast corner of the Football Park site — as demolition on the old AAMI Stadium starts.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 0f0554cb7d

SUBSCRIBER ONLY
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: WEST (Football Park) | Developments & News

#51 Post by Norman » Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 am

Bulldozers move in at West Lakes as development kicks off
Emily Cosenza, Westside Weekly Messenger
May 29, 2018 3:50pm

WORK has finally started on demolishing Football Park, with workers preparing for a “safe and smooth” knockdown of the old stadium.

Preparation began this week, with safety huts and perimeter fencing erected around the oval.

Heavy machinery is expected to be on site within the next three weeks.

Developers Commercial & General have contracted McMahon Services for the demolition, which is scheduled to start mid-June.

Commercial & General communities manager Chris Menz said demolition workers would begin dismantling the stadium in the northeast corner of the site and work in stages.

“You expect it to be smash and grab but it’s a meticulous process and they have to take structures down so it’s done safely and smoothly,” Mr Menz said.

“We’re starting there because it’s the easiest and we’re making way for Uniting SA’s health and aged facility.”

The developers aim for the section to be demolished by July.

Construction of Uniting SA’s five-storey, 120-bed aged care facility is expected to start early next year.

The next section of the stadium to be demolished will be the southern side, with the northern grandstand last on the list.

“The northern grandstand is a significant piece of infrastructure so that will take time (to be demolished),” Mr Menz said.

“There will be times where things collapse and fall over, which will be done in a controlled way. We picked this method of demolition to limit noise, dust and interference and we’re working hard so it has limited impact on the surrounding area.”

It will take about eight months to completely demolish the 60,000 sqm stadium.

About 100,000 tonnes of concrete and rubble will be removed from the site.

The demolition is part of Commercial & General’s $1 billion WEST housing and retail development. The company bought the site from the SANFL in 2014 for $71 million.

“We’ve already opened six stages of WEST since commencing work in late 2015 and we’re delighted to be moving ahead with the next step,” Mr Menz said.

The stadium is making way for the Charles Sturt Council’s library, a childcare centre, Uniting SA’s aged care facility and a shopping strip.

The Adelaide Football Club’s training ground will be unaffected.
The proposed $50 million aged care home to be built by Uniting Care SA on the AAMI stadium site.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 4011f5e80e

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by how good is he » Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Anyone know where exactly the new Foodland and retail precinct will be located? They keep referring to Charles St as the new high/main street but where is this street going to be?

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Mpol03 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:56 pm

I am told the Foodland and retail centre will be opposite McDonalds, where the stadium hasn’t it’s largest stand. Not sure how valid this is now as this was discussed with us when he development first went for sale.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu May 31, 2018 10:16 am

I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

PeFe

#55 Post by PeFe » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Football Park stands coming down

From The Advertiser
Major demolition begins at Footy Park, grandstands torn down
THE home of South Australian football for 40 years is going, going … nearly gone, as major demolition works begin to make way for a whole new community who will call West Lakes home.

IT was the home of South Australian football for 40 years.

But now the stands of Football Park are being torn down to make way for a whole new community who will call West Lakes home.

After much internal work, major demolition has begun on the eastern stands. More than 100,000 tonnes of concrete and rubble will be removed, mostly to be recycled as roadbase and construction footings.

Full article : https://www.news.com.au/national/south- ... b5da3ed415

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by HiTouch » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 pm

The end of an era. A bit sad but not to worry as I am excited for the premiership dynasty that is about to unfold with the mighty Port Adelaide Football Club. The next 4 years are in the bag. Adelaide Oval will need to enlarge its capacity because it's about to get quite packed every week with this team playing!!

[Shuz]

#57 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:45 pm

They'll always choke, choke, choke at the top, top, top. History in the making, Port always give in when the flags there for the taking.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#58 Post by rev » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:44 am

The light towers are being sent to Papua New Guinea and will be installed on their main oval for cricket, which is good.
Was organized through Cricket Australia apparently. The state government should take advantage and build some cultural links, and trade links through this, with our countries closest neighbor. We have a train line that goes from Adelaide to Darwin...send freight up it, to the Darwin port, and off to Port Morseby..

Llessur2002

#59 Post by Llessur2002 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:58 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 pm
The end of an era. A bit sad but not to worry as I am excited for the premiership dynasty that is about to unfold with the mighty Port Adelaide Football Club. The next 4 years are in the bag. Adelaide Oval will need to enlarge its capacity because it's about to get quite packed every week with this team playing!!
I'm really confused. Most of the time I'm pretty certain your posts are tongue in cheek (in which case they're subtly hilarious) but every now and again I'm concerned that you're serious 🤔

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Definitely the end of an era. Going to be hard to believe that this time next year Football Park will merely be a patch of grass and the Crows facility.

Many, many good memories of the ground.