Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Beer Garden

#2431 Post by Waewick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:04 am

crawf wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 am

And on the flip side, where are people watching the game who are staying in Adelaide?

Don't they normally put a big screen in Elder Park for the grand final? This year they're showing the game on the big screens in Telstra Plaza outside the Oval but it's a pretty small and concretey venue for 3-4 hours watching.
Elder Park is off bounds due to the OzAsia Festival. The council is closing off War Memorial Drive tomorrow to allow more room for spectators and food trucks, while the SMA have confirmed they will open up Adelaide Oval if there is a massive crowd.

Either way the city will be electric tomorrow night if the crows win.
More than 5000 supporters are anticipated to pack out the Adelaide Oval’s southern plaza to watch the “Big Dance” clash against Richmond from the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

A further 1400 have bought tickets for two sold out for functions.

Officials have contingencies in place for a larger crowd and will open the Crows’ home ground if needed.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... c030874fb1
---------------
Can't believe there's nothing going on in Vic Square or any of our hectares of parklands. Someone's missed a trick surely, or are they just worried about organising something that might end up being a lot busier than anticipated?
Yeah I'm really surprised by this. What was the point of spending millions on transforming the square into a events space.... are the council afraid of a potential backlash from 'some' nearby businesses?. Wasted opportunity.
We went along to the plaza and it wasnt the right place really.

We also went to ozasia and once again their inability to plan an event shone through.

I admit we got there late so accepted the fact that i had to line up. 1 hr and 15 minutes into that line, when i could see the entrance, i didnt expect a few things

1. Event staff telling us to go elsewhere as they were only letting in people as others to leave.

2. The police to close King William Street.

3. Rude, selfish pricks to then move to the entrance, creating a third line and forcing themselves in.

4. The ozasia security to do nothing about it. They watched as these arseholes walked straight past people who had lined up for over an hour to get it and try to push past. It is as close to a riot as I've seen. i saw people in original lines walking over to the scummy line jumpers and going nuts.

5. When you finally get in, line ups for any sort of convenience just as long as the entry ( we brought stuff so we were fine) and the toilets well lets not go there.

Over all it was another inspid effort by the organisers. If this was the first time you could give them the benefit of the doubt but this is years and years of the same shit.

The Scooter Guy

#2432 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:08 pm

GreenYoshi93 has uploaded some nostalgic videos of Adelaide in the mid 1990s.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC54Nt7 ... aNQo2O4B9Q
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

serca
High Rise Poster!

#2433 Post by serca » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:43 pm

I am Port supporter, but would have rather seen the crows win. I think anything to stick it up the biased VFL/AFL ladyboys club.

I have to agree the Crows players didn't come across just confident they come across very cocky and over confident leading into the GF.

Makes you wonder if it is a cultural issue at their club ? They say not but, the club too often looses key players to other clubs purely on the $ value. Even the current crows team lining up to play a GF knowing that 2 big stars in Cameron and Lever are more than likely heading interstate for better $ must not have been good for moral. It seems the great clubs of recent times have most players willing to even take a pay cut or a contract worth less to better the teams premiership chances and stay unified.

No doubt Richmond culture acknowledged players like Dusty and previously Rance knock back other contracts worth much more money to continue their journey as a team to win premierships.

Nathan

#2434 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:09 pm

We didn’t have much trouble at the Moon Lantern Festival, although some friends lined up on the KWS and couldn’t get in (after driving down from the Barossa). We went in at the gate near the footbridge, which didn’t have much of a line at all, even after 6:30 (I figure there was a steadier flow of people also leaving through that gate to go across to the Lucky Dumpling Market, so they were able to let more in). Managed to get a good spot on the parade route, and only waited around half an hour for food.

Nathan

Re: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#2435 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm

Something needs to seriously happen about that fucking preacher that rocks up in the mall.

Just witnessed the arsehole insert himself into a busking performance by kids to spew his bile. Security had to play the 'hear both sides of the story' game, but apparently he's been attracting complaints left right and centre today. It's about time they stop playing nice with the prick and ban him permanently from even entering the mall.

Llessur2002

#2436 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:50 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm
Something needs to seriously happen about that fucking preacher that rocks up in the mall.

Just witnessed the arsehole insert himself into a busking performance by kids to spew his bile. Security had to play the 'hear both sides of the story' game, but apparently he's been attracting complaints left right and centre today. It's about time they stop playing nice with the prick and ban him permanently from even entering the mall.
Back during Fringe he was out in the mall spouting rubbish about same sex couples "not being able to bring up children properly" - I sent an email to every single ACC Councillor asking if anything could be done to prevent those working and shopping on the Mall having to listen repeatedly to such nonsense but only ever received a reply from one (Sue Clearihan) who said she was going to look into the previous ruling about what they could and couldn't do in the mall, but that was the last I heard.

Can't believe the ACC, the Rundle Mall Authority et al are seemingly quite happy to allow these nutjobs to spout their backwards hate speech willy nilly - how fucking embarrassing to think that interstate and international visitors to the Fringe are presented with that mob as the 'face of Adelaide'.

I watch him most days from my office window shouting his nonsense whilst his 'interesting' looking helpers leave leaflets in phone booths, on parked bikes etc. I just wait until they've moved on then pop down to collect them and chuck them in the bin.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2437 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:57 pm

I saw him a few days ago too, yelling out like a lunatic.

Llessur2002

#2438 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:07 pm

I wonder if the ACC, Mall Authority etc realise exactly how often they are active in the Mall? I imagine they get a few reports from security but it might be that they are not fully aware of the scale of the problem?

From my vantage point in Rundle Mall Plaza (and who doesn't love staring out of the window whilst at work?) I see and hear them at least every other day, often several times per day. It's not unusual for them to show up every single day for a week or two. They just move up and down the mall like buskers, generally about 30 mins in each location. Sometimes it'll just be the banner-holders, but most of the time the angry, shouty, year-round tan dude is there. Occasionally they head off to harass commuters at the Railway Station etc but they're very (and perhaps increasingly) present in the Mall.

Edit: I've just been through my emails and realised I did actually get one other reply from ACC 'Community Safety', almost a month after I sent my original email. It was as follows:
As you may be aware the behaviour of people "preaching" in Adelaide City has been of concern to Council in the past. As a result, Council has a permit system in place for anyone who wishes to "undertake activity" in the Public Realm (including the Mall). This includes members of the public who want to exercise their rights of freedom of speech and engage the public within Adelaide City. These permits have a long list of conditions attached to them which include:

• Limiting the number of approved permit holders that can be undertaking their activity together;

• Limiting the location, time of day and length of time of the activity;

• Limiting the number and size of hand held signs; and

• Prohibiting the approaching or singling out for specific attention any member of the public or business.

Council Community Safety Officers and Rundle Mall Security Officers patrol the Mall regularly and do monitor the “preaching’ activities to ensure they do not escalate and/or breach the conditions of their permit.

If you identify any behaviour from “preachers” that you believe may be in breach of the conditions above please feel free to contact Council as soon as possible on 08 8203 7203.

claybro

#2439 Post by claybro » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Ok, so to put this in another context, imagine if this was a fellow in Islamic garb with a long beard spouting aggressive nonsense about religion. I would hope there would be some sort of police or security there in a flash...for obvious reason. No reason this fellow should be treated as "harmless" and excercising his right to free speech just because he is Christian? Most practising Christians I know just cringe at these people. In this day and age, a public shopping space is no place for this behaviour, and that includes the colourful Hare Krishna mob. Fundamentalist religionists are a growing and dangerous development in society in general.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2440 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:53 pm

To be honest, you see these people in other cities as well, interstate and overseas. I came across a whole bunch of them in LA holding signs and chanting slogans. However, this does not mean we should accept their bile and hate here, so someone should make that phone number more public to try and improve the situation.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2441 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Day one of the Tram extension and Grenfell street is a carpark.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2442 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 pm

monotonehell wrote:Day one of the Tram extension and Grenfell street is a carpark.
Hopefully this will tell people to catch public transport instead. Or just bear with it for the two weeks.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2443 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 pm

^^
King William Street and all other northern roads were chaos this morning. Like many people I ended up getting off the bus near the Torrens River and walked into the city. Getting home was just as bad.

I think it was a bad planning move to have both the North Terrace restrictions and the closure of the Gawler and Outer Harbour Lines running at the same time, considering those train substitute buses were stuck in the madness. Not to mention also having to deal with the T2T project.

I know in the long term it will be worth it...

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2444 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 pm
monotonehell wrote:Day one of the Tram extension and Grenfell street is a carpark.
Hopefully this will tell people to catch public transport instead. Or just bear with it for the two weeks.
I thought this too travelling through the one lane traffic along there.

Nathan

#2445 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 pm

Good chance to try out a yellow share bike :wink: