News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2356 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03 am

Vacancies at Rundle Mall continue to fall as international retailers circle for space
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 15de53a125

VACANCIES on Adelaide’s premier shopping strip fell further last quarter on the back of two bumper lease deals.

Telstra will establish a new flagship business hub at 49 Rundle Mall after signing a 10-year lease at the 338sq m site, while Michael Hill has relocated to 102sq m at 74 Rundle Mall.

Polites Real Estate director Marcus Polites brokered the deals, with Telstra agreeing to pay more than $3200 per sq m, while Michael Hill signed up at approximately $5700 per sq m.

“The Telstra deal is possibly Rundle Mall’s biggest total leasing deal ever, while Michael Hill is possibly Rundle Mall’s biggest leasing deal ever at price per sq m,” Mr Polites said. “With such high demand it is not often that space becomes available for lease in these particular areas and locations on Rundle Mall.”

“When the brands and retailers start to cluster, it really brings momentum to the area, and I am noticing great interest levels by international labels and brands wanting to secure space on the Mall.”

According to figures from Colliers International, the vacancy rate at Rundle Mall fell to 2.1 per cent in September, down from 2.8 per cent in June and 4.2 per cent a year ago. Rundle St has also tightened, falling from 3 per cent to 2 per cent in the past 12 months.

Colliers director of retail leasing Ben Laycock said suburban high streets were currently experiencing mixed fortunes, with Prospect Rd and The Parade tightening in the past year, while King William Rd and Jetty Rd have both reported increases in the number of vacant shopfronts.

“The categories which we are seeing good demand for are clothing and cafe restaurants, which have really driven tenant demand. “We have seen a lot of tenant movement in Rundle Mall and although there is interest from international brands, the challenge is finding the right tenancy for them.”

“Many internationals would like large street frontage and large floor plates – there are only a few owners which are able to accommodate this.”

“Prospect Rd has seen a resurgence with the council investing in a better streetscape, which has seen vacancy fall and more refurbishments of current space.”

CBRE senior negotiator Julie Thomas said the west end of Adelaide was benefitting from major infrastructure projects in the precinct.

“As expected, there has been a noticeable increase in enquiry from food and beverage tenants in the west end of Adelaide, resulting from the opening of the new Royal Adelaide Hospital and medical university schools, together with the tourism growth expected from the Adelaide Riverbank redevelopment,” she said.

“We have secured two food and beverage tenants for the new Holiday Inn Express development on Hindley St and received strong enquiry for Riverbank opportunities related to the Adelaide Festival Centre redevelopment.”

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2357 Post by how good is he » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 am

This should put the cat amongst the pigeons..I have been told that a major chain are negotiating for most of the ground floor Citi-centre space...with 3 street frontages plus rear docking bay on-site etc. The old shops/food court at back etc would all go...once confirmed I will advise... anyone want to guess who?

Nathan

#2358 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 am

how good is he wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 am
This should put the cat amongst the pigeons..I have been told that a major chain are negotiating for most of the ground floor Citi-centre space...with 3 street frontages plus rear docking bay on-site etc. The old shops/food court at back etc would all go...once confirmed I will advise... anyone want to guess who?
If H&M are lined up for RMP, then it would have to be either Zara, or maybe a Uniqlo & Muji double. Hopefully it wouldn't all be ground level — take over the first level offices and completely rebuild the podium. Citi-Centre really needs to be a statement as the eastern entry to Rundle Mall, and ideally should make more of linking the mall to Hindmarsh Square.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2359 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:56 pm

how good is he wrote:
The space would suit a Debenhams. First Aussie store opened a few weeks back in Melbourne. I couldn't see uniqulo doing well in Adelaide.

i see this as unlikely though as Westpac, McDonalds and Nike all just signed 10 years leases last year.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2360 Post by Mpol03 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Having seen what Uniclo have her at Pac Fair on the Gold Coast I have to disagree. Would fit perfectly in Adelaide.
We really need the likes or Uniclo, HnM and Zara to have a presence in Rundle Mall. Would make for a solid shopping experience. Glad to see more international brands are wanting to move in.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2361 Post by ml69 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:56 pm
how good is he wrote:
The space would suit a Debenhams. First Aussie store opened a few weeks back in Melbourne. I couldn't see uniqulo doing well in Adelaide.

i see this as unlikely though as Westpac, McDonalds and Nike all just signed 10 years leases last year.
I think Uniqlo would do a roaring trade in Adelaide. Nice contemporary designs and affordable. Nothing weird.

I have bought numerous items from Uniqlo when travelling overseas in recent years.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2362 Post by how good is he » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 am

Ok good try but what would you say if it was going to be a supermarket......any guesses?

Llessur2002

#2363 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:33 am

how good is he wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 am
Ok good try but what would you say if it was going to be a supermarket......any guesses?
Really? That's a bit disappointing.

How big is the space?

Maybe a largish IGA?

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#2364 Post by Allkai » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:41 am

Aldi

Nathan

#2365 Post by Nathan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:10 am

A supermarket would be a definite disappointment.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2366 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:15 am

Such a prime location with so many premium brands to still move into Rundle Mall... and we get a supermarket? Piss off.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2367 Post by how good is he » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:23 am

The good news..its not an Aldi

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2368 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 am

If it is any other supermarket, it makes it no better. We have two off the Mall already.
FML this city never gets it right. It's frustrating being an Adelaidian sometimes.

Llessur2002

#2369 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 am

Well I presume the space isn't big enough for woolies to move to a spot where they could be single-level. Coles already has a new building so that's out. You've ruled out Aldi.

Leaves Foodland or IGA really.

Foodland doesn't have a CBD presence that I know of, not sure if that's their thing or not. IGA seems the most likely contender - unless there's another player that I've forgotten?
Mpol03 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 am
FML this city never gets it right. It's frustrating being an Adelaidian sometimes.
The trouble is, who could control such a decision? I don't think the Council or Mall Authority have the power to dictate which particular retailer can occupy an area of retail space so ultimately it's a market-driven thing. Presumably whoever this retailer is thinks there is a good business case for opening in this location, and the building owner is happy to have them as tenants.

Frustrating indeed, but I'm not sure what the solution is.

Nathan

#2370 Post by Nathan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am

Really, if a new supermarket was to open in the city, it should be tied to the railway station to capture a heap of rail commuters (and people going to the oval). It doesn't make much sense to me to open in the mall and have to compete for the same slice as the existing Woolworths and Coles.

As for any other players... Kaufland?