Fleurieu Fast Rail

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Fleurieu Fast Rail

#1 Post by Goodsy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#2 Post by Nort » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 pm
http://www.victorharbortimes.com.au/sto ... n/?cs=1537

the latest pie in the sky idea
If that line could be built for 1.5 billion it would be an absolute bargain, but all those travel time estimates are laughably optimistic.

claybro

#3 Post by claybro » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm
GoodSmackUp wrote:

If that line could be built for 1.5 billion it would be an absolute bargain, but all those travel time estimates are laughably optimistic.

claybro

#4 Post by claybro » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:29 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:26 pm
Nort wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm
GoodSmackUp wrote:

Could it be that this is not a serious proposal, and these guys are just after a profit for producing a feasibility study from the federal government?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:07 am

Doesn't matter if this "vision" doesn't get built, it will at least spark interest and thought bubbles in the heads of people in parliament and other places.
Before the tram extensions, people questioned why the network was ripped up decades ago, and many pondered what if we still had a tram network like our nearest neighboring capital.
I'm not saying that's the reason for the extensions and wider network plans, but something is needed to get people talking.
Why shouldn't there be a 'fast' regional train network linking key regional centres and the capital?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:20 am

Why not? Because we are one of the most centralised states in the world, centred in Adelaide. Justifying regional rail, when regional populations are falling or stagnant, land in Adelaide in plentiful supply and difficult terrain anywhere but north makes the case for regional rail difficult.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by Mr Smith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 am

I didn't realise it was 1 April today

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 am

Apparently only South Australia has terrain that isn't completely flat :lol:

Some of the pissant nimby excuses from people..

Now land is plentiful.
In other threads you lot complain of urban sprawl, but now land is abundant. Wow.

Very narrow minded, short sighted. Mirror image of what's wrong with this state collectively.

Perhaps a fast rail connection to say, Whyalla, Murray Bridge, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Victor Harbor, would help increase confidence in those regions? If a government isn't going to invest in a regions infrastructure, why are businesses going to expand or setup shop there, and why would people move there if there's no work?

What are the several tens of thousands of people living in country SA going to do, move to Adelaide? Where are they going to live, in dog boxes like some of you?
We should abandon those country towns/cities because they've fallen on hard times.
Cut their water supply and power too.

I'm starting to wonder if the bigger nimby's aren't right here on S-A, and not the likes of the parklands preservation group.

rhino

#9 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:57 am

Adelaide to Aldgate in 11 minutes via Belair .... four minutes from Aldgate to Hahndorf, which doesn't even have rail access (the article says existing routes will be used and upgraded) .... 200km/k along the existing alignment through the Adelaide Hills .... obviously not going to encounter any freight trains along the way - put that on the road, passenger rail is more important .... :roll:
cheers,
Rhino

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Goodsy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am

Surely a line following the freight line from Salisbury to Port Pirie would make more sense, and would be much easier than trying to navigate through the hills. Port Pirie is almost exactly 200km if it followed that line and it's on flat ground. We could have stations at Virginia/Buckland Park, Two Wells, Mallala, Snowtown, Crystal Brook and Port Pirie, It could even detour east for a little bit and service Balaklava

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by mattwinter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:42 am

If they divert freight to the North at some point then the idea is worth thinking about I reckon. Just times all the expected travel times by 1.5 and you're getting closer to being realistic. Just upgrading the current track and maybe gauge converting.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Goodsy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:52 am

mattwinter wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:42 am
If they divert freight to the North at some point then the idea is worth thinking about I reckon. Just times all the expected travel times by 1.5 and you're getting closer to being realistic. Just upgrading the current track and maybe gauge converting.
I dont mean using the freight line, I mean building a new line along it's alignment

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am

While regional services might be a good idea coupled with identified economic activities, this proposal is really out there. The travel times, as others have indicated, are wildly optimistic, and the estimated cost seems to be in 1970's dollars.

But the biggest "wait a minute" quotes are:
"...200 kilometre per hour..."
and
“We proposed re-using existing tracks to ensure construction is cheaper which should make the proposal more appealing to the government… usually developments like this are so expensive because they require all new tracks.”

None of the current tracks would be suitable for a 200kmh service, let alone the bed under them. They would all have to be replaced.

Also there's many curves in the current route that would not support high speeds. A lot of the Hills' part would need to be tunneled or similar.

There's no way the price and speed are estimates based on any kind of reality.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

[Shuz]

#14 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:51 pm

I would have thought any rail connection through to Encounter Bay would go via the Seaford line.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by mattwinter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:52 am
mattwinter wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:42 am
I dont mean using the freight line, I mean building a new line along it's alignment
Sorry I'm thinking about the Hills in my post.

I think most would agree that the better way to get to Victor from Adelaide would be via Seaford, but the point is there is a rail corridor already there through Mount Barker. Still operational too if you count the Steamranger. There'd need to be a gauge conversion though and a major upgrade / replacement of the line, which still makes it expensive but probably way more realistic than a new line from Seaford.