Atira Waymouth Street Building

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
morty137
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Atira Waymouth Street Building

#1 Post by morty137 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi Guys,

I've started petition for council to step up and do something about this ugly building. This is disgrace for CBD.
Appreciate if you guys could sign it.

https://www.change.org/p/nick-xenophon- ... k-and-feel

PS: My first language isn't English, but I hope people get the message.

Thanks,
MortyC137

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Atira Waymouth Street Building

#2 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm not exactly sure what the council would do against this building, unless it is not built to the approved specifications and plans. Some people might even like it...

morty137
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by morty137 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:31 pm

I think there is a law saying that new building should be sync with the areas other building. Am I correct?. This law is clearly broken and its so ugly. I am sure value of neighboring building will be also effected by this crap as prospective buyers looking for great view skies. Council and law makers should able to force owners to modify building appearance otherwise demolished.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Llessur2002 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:46 pm

I quite like it. When the surrounding area is built up it will stick out far less than it does now...

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 pm

:roll:

Personal aesthetic preference does not factor into "law". You're wasting your time.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by timtam20292 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:08 pm

:roll:

I’m not bothered by the building either.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:18 pm

morty137 wrote:I think there is a law saying that new building should be sync with the areas other building. Am I correct?. This law is clearly broken and its so ugly. I am sure value of neighboring building will be also effected by this crap as prospective buyers looking for great view skies. Council and law makers should able to force owners to modify building appearance otherwise demolished.
The building can only be demolished if it is not the same as the development application that was approved. It was always going to be controversial, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it will be demolished.

morty137
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by morty137 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 pm

If we let this building go unnoticed, many developers will start building this kind of cheap crap around the CBD to earn more profit. I am appalled by the Council decision to approve this building in the first place. Who ever responsible for approval must be investigated for possible corruption. I know many guys may not bother much as this is just a one building. Now lets put 10-20 around CBD and see how that will look. Adevertiser has carried several news article about this building and many people found its very ugly and offensive. You can read comments section in those new articles. So its not me find this building ugly. To be honest this building looks like a big chicken cage than human accommodation. Its neither futuristic nor classic.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Again, that's your opinion.

The opinion of others and myself is that the building is interesting and attractive.

Either way, opinion is not grounds for the kind of action you're proposing.

What matters in development is whether proposals meet community-guided plans. This building did.

If you feel so passionately, seek instead to change the development plan or get involved in the consultation phase of the next proposed building you dislike.

As for this building, it's built. Get over it.
Last edited by SRW on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:43 pm

The DAC (now SCAP) approved the development, not the council. And I wouldn't use the Advertiser comments section as a litmus test of the community.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Matt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:19 am

Good lord. Get a grip.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:45 am

Good architecture has a way of polarising people. You can’t say that it looks bland, and it does generate quite a bit of attention. I myself quite like the design.

YellowRoad
Gold-Member ;)

#13 Post by YellowRoad » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Is this the same guy that started up the petition to have Parafield airport moved? There are far more worthwhile causes to focus your energy on.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 am

Love it, or hate it.

It's built, get over it.

Nort

#15 Post by Nort » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 am

It's built now, it's there. Although I think it would make sense for the developers to look what they can do with the building finish simply because it's currently embarrassing to include in their portfolio.

I do think there should be stricter guidelines on renders put forward when a building is being approved to ensure they are closer to what is going to be built:

Sure you will always have ideal lighting and a bit of creative license in renders, but that is just taking the mickey. :lol:

As has been said though, the developers built what their application said they were going to, if you want the building demolished exactly who do you propose pays for it?