News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#3391 Post by [Shuz] » Tue May 01, 2018 4:34 pm

You do realise that about 85% of all new urban development is infill? Only 15% is being built on broadacre land. We are doing way better at infill development (even though it's not quite showing at train stations just yet) than all other Australian cities. Catalyst developments like Kent Town, Bowden, Port Adelaide, Mawson Lakes, Tonsley are all just getting started. Give it another decade and we'll really start to see some results in higher density development around these areas.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3392 Post by Eurostar » Wed May 02, 2018 9:02 am

This artist impression was posted in The Bunyip, the council wants to improve Gawler Central
Attachments
a25_transit-proposal-2-768x504.jpg
a25_transit-proposal-2-768x504.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 3099 times

PeFe

#3393 Post by PeFe » Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 am

I like this idea a lot....I have always tought that Gawler central should be a "hub" station. A bus interchange for local Gawler buses and buses from the Barossa valley, along with retail and apartments integrated into the station precinct.
We are doing way better at infill development (even though it's not quite showing at train stations just yet) than all other Australian cities.
Err no ....I would put Adelaide 30 years behind Sydney, and 10 years behind Melbourne and Brisbane. maybe just ahead of Perth (not really sure of this one, friends have told me that there is quite a lot of apartments going up in Perth suburbia, but not necessarily next to the train stations)

SBD

#3394 Post by SBD » Wed May 02, 2018 2:48 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 am

I like this idea a lot....I have always thought that Gawler central should be a "hub" station. A bus interchange for local Gawler buses and buses from the Barossa valley, along with retail and apartments integrated into the station precinct.
We are doing way better at infill development (even though it's not quite showing at train stations just yet) than all other Australian cities.
Err no ....I would put Adelaide 30 years behind Sydney, and 10 years behind Melbourne and Brisbane. maybe just ahead of Perth (not really sure of this one, friends have told me that there is quite a lot of apartments going up in Perth suburbia, but not necessarily next to the train stations)
Is the tall thing on the right in the picture an apartment block, or a multi-level carpark where the current open-air station carpark is? There appear to be cars on the top level.

Also, is there space and inclination to duplicate the track all the way from Gawler Junction (including another bridge over the North Para River)?

rhino

#3395 Post by rhino » Wed May 02, 2018 3:21 pm

No, that tall building doesn't exist, nor does the amount of space in that render. Also, our trains don't look like that. I think this is a render from a different project in a different place, that somebody thought would be good in Gawler.
cheers,
Rhino

EBG

#3396 Post by EBG » Wed May 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Adelaide is 20 -30 years behind Sydney in terms of transport orientated housing. One only has to see projects like Jacksons landing 2004, Wolli creek, Paramatta ,Wentworth point. not to mention Chatswood ,Lane Cove, Lindfield . The majority of Sydney's tower cranes are in the suburbs on residential projects.
Attachments
jacksons landing.jpg
jacksons landing.jpg (460.12 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
wentworrth point.jpg
wentworrth point.jpg (202.44 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Woli creek.jpg
Woli creek.jpg (423.77 KiB) Viewed 2947 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3397 Post by Norman » Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Infill isn't all about apartments. The are a lot of subdivisions happening across the suburbs, including former housing trust properties. Also 2, 3 storey buildings across all suburbs and, of course, 4-5 storeys along Churchill and Prospect Roads.

claybro

#3398 Post by claybro » Wed May 02, 2018 6:00 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 am

I like this idea a lot....I have always tought that Gawler central should be a "hub" station. A bus interchange for local Gawler buses and buses from the Barossa valley, along with retail and apartments integrated into the station precinct.
The graphic for the Gawler Central station looks great. Gawler central is anything but central to Gawler CBD. This will really activate a tired area.
And yes , I was puzzled by the statement relating to Adelaide doing better at infill than other states. The population density of Adelaide, particularly the use of station precincts is decades behind. re Perth, I can confirm construction is about to commence on 4500 apartments in a mixed use commercial/residential/retail precinct, adjacent to the Belmont racecourse 5 minutes from the CBD and just near the Optus stadium train station. It is envisaged to be a mini city within itself. These "mini cities" are popping up around main train stations all over Perth. 3 new rail lines are either under construction/planned including station precincts and interchanges within the next 5 years, and despite the current bust cycle, they are still planning for a population of 3 million within the next 20 years.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#3399 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 pm

No point upgrading the station if there's no service further to the east
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD

#3400 Post by SBD » Wed May 02, 2018 8:09 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 pm
Perhaps dual gauge to Gawler Central (formerly North Gawler) is necessary to provide the intended frequency of services out to Concordia/Kalbeeba/Sandy Creek?

Also, the "service" does not have to be trains - there is a point in upgrading the station even if it is as bus interchange and park-and-ride for Willaston and Hewett (not served by existing railway tracks anyway), Roseworthy, Gawler East and beyond. That's why I thought the building in the picture might be denser parking. The canopies on the car park the other side look like the ones at Coles, and the train looks a bit like a blue version of the 4000 class.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#3401 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed May 02, 2018 10:32 pm

If they want to have Gawler as a transport hub, you can't have the trains stopping at every stop into the city. The weird expresses don't work either.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

[Shuz]

#3402 Post by [Shuz] » Thu May 03, 2018 7:54 am

Infill does NOT exclusively mean apartment developments.

Infill includes subdivisions of blocks. So even one detached dwelling being demolished to make way for two is considered infill.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#3403 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:28 am

In ARS this morning:

rhino

#3404 Post by rhino » Thu May 03, 2018 10:33 am

SBD wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:09 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 pm
Perhaps dual gauge to Gawler Central (formerly North Gawler) is necessary to provide the intended frequency of services out to Concordia/Kalbeeba/Sandy Creek?

Also, the "service" does not have to be trains - there is a point in upgrading the station even if it is as bus interchange and park-and-ride for Willaston and Hewett (not served by existing railway tracks anyway), Roseworthy, Gawler East and beyond. That's why I thought the building in the picture might be denser parking. The canopies on the car park the other side look like the ones at Coles, and the train looks a bit like a blue version of the 4000 class.
The services you speak of (transport hub) are already available at Gawler Station, where there is also ample parking. There is actually no need for Gawler Central to be a transport hub as such, as long as the bus routes go through the main street, and the train route has a station there.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3405 Post by crawf » Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:28 am
In ARS this morning:

Lipstick on a pig.