Tv Series "Fucking Adelaide!"

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Tv Series "Fucking Adelaide!"

#1 Post by PeFe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:43 am

This is a new ABC (black) comedy series "Fucking Adelaide!".......yes, it is a pisstake......conceived by ex-Adelaide residents.
Free to air starts on July15.

From The Guardian
F*!#ing Adelaide review – Pamela Rabe and Brendan Maclean in love letter to a city
Eli (Brendan Maclean) in Fucking Adelaide on ABC iview: ‘It can be a difficult city’. Photograph: Daniel Purvis/Closer Productions

“I think the world could end and this city would go on unchanged,” says Eli (Brendan Maclean) staring out the car window, driving down Adelaide’s wide arterial roads. The sun sets, casting an orange glow over the flat suburbia. Lights path into the car unobstructed by apartment buildings and hills. The car moves calmly and steadily. This is not a city of traffic.

The family at the heart of Fucking Adelaide – a six-part series out now on ABC iview, stylised as F*!#ing Adelaide – is, like many families from Adelaide, split over state and national lines. Eli lives in Sydney; older sister Emma (Kate Box), in Thailand. The youngest, Kitty (Tilda Cobham-Hervey), has stayed in Adelaide in her childhood bedroom, while she attends art school. “Adelaide actually has a lot to offer now,” she retorts to Eli, with all of the conviction of someone desperately trying to make herself believe what she’s saying.

Creator and director Sophie Hyde never shows us Adelaide city, yet it is a story undeniably of Adelaide, seen only the way locals can. Adelaide is in the skateboarding down wide, empty suburban streets; the sandstone-fronted houses; the backyard bonfires; the way Kitty wears the city, literally, in the jewellery of Naomi Murrell, in the scarves of Julie White.

Full story : https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -to-a-city

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Tv Series "Fucking Adelaide!"

#2 Post by Will » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm

I am disgusted that my taxes went towards allowing some east coast elitist wanker the opportunity to create such a self indulgent exercise in hatred towards our city.

We do not deserve such vitriol.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 pm

Yeah I won't be watching this garbage. :toilet:

Nathan

#4 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Will wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm
I am disgusted that my taxes went towards allowing some east coast elitist wanker the opportunity to create such a self indulgent exercise in hatred towards our city.

Err... it was an Adelaide production (Closer Productions). And it's not really about Adelaide, but about family coming home. It could really be any smaller city or town, but in this case it happens to be where the filmmakers are familiar. There's some small digs (the young sister who still lives here talking up Peel St to her brother returning from Melbourne, and the two degrees of separation between "strangers"), but nothing remotely approaching hatred or vitriol. I get a lot more ex-pat spite from the the reviewer than I got from the three episodes I've watched.

Ho Really

#5 Post by Ho Really » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 pm
Will wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Err... it was an Adelaide production (Closer Productions). And it's not really about Adelaide, but about family coming home. It could really be any smaller city or town, but in this case it happens to be where the filmmakers are familiar. There's some small digs (the young sister who still lives here talking up Peel St to her brother returning from Melbourne, and the two degrees of separation between "strangers"), but nothing remotely approaching hatred or vitriol. I get a lot more ex-pat spite from the the reviewer than I got from the three episodes I've watched.
It makes no difference what it is about. Satire, black comedy or whatever you want to call it. The title will give many the wrong impression and just reiterates the message this place is for losers.

If you have time read some of the comments on The Guardian. See link above. As always

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Yes, because comments on news websites are filled with representative opinions. :roll:

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by ynotsfables » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 pm

If this was written by Adelaidians then they should be ashamed of them selves, and yes there was one comment in the Guardian that is partially true, that is some of us are generally to blame because we focus on the negatives and rubbish our own state ( which is quite a common Adelaidian thing to do) hence contributing in sending the wrong message as does the title of this series.
Maybe we should start to appreciate what we have because it's not that bad in fact it's quite good.

Nathan

#8 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 pm

How about people actually try watching the show before trying to form opinions based off the title. :secret:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:37 pm

Nathan, you don’t get it. Whilst the title of this show is repugnant, that is not my main source of concern. It is the underlying tones of the series that I find so upsetting. The youngest member of the series is shown as a loser. In fact she is still sleeping in the same room that she grew up in.... reminds of that Paul Kelly song about Adelaide.

The series normalises and indeed celebrates young people leaving Adelaide. Whilst those who stay are portrayed as mediocre hicks. This is why I’m so upset. The fact that my taxes went towards this adds further insult to injury.

Nathan

#10 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:59 pm

Will wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:37 pm
Nathan, you don’t get it. Whilst the title of this show is repugnant, that is not my main source of concern. It is the underlying tones of the series that I find so upsetting. The youngest member of the series is shown as a loser. In fact she is still sleeping in the same room that she grew up in.... reminds of that Paul Kelly song about Adelaide.

The series normalises and indeed celebrates young people leaving Adelaide. Whilst those who stay are portrayed as mediocre hicks. This is why I’m so upset. The fact that my taxes went towards this adds further insult to injury.
No, it represents (and certainly doesn't "celebrate") young people leaving and returning home to smaller cities. The story could be interchangeable with many other smaller city. It definitely doesn't portray anyone who stays as a "mediocre hick", and what world are you living in where an early 20-something student still living at home isn't a common thing? It's certainly not a dig at Adelaide.

I'm starting to feel like I'm on AdelaideNow. People making judgements based on a headline, and moaning about "taxpayers money" on something they don't personally like.

jorcoga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by jorcoga » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:37 am

Will wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:37 pm
I mean... it is normal. It's happening. It has been for a long time. It's perfectly valid to not like that fact but it's still a reality for so many people and it's not worth hiding away from that. There are plenty of series on TV set in Sydney and Melbourne that don't make them seem like great places and just like this series that's OK.

A fictional series where the characters extol the virtues of the place they live in constantly would be about the least compelling thing on the planet; if you want that then you can always just watch Maggie Beer or Postcards.

jorcoga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#12 Post by jorcoga » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:44 am

Sometimes I feel like the backlash against the Eastern states perception of Adelaide as a backwater has come too far around the other way, to the point where daring to suggest that perhaps there are good reasons someone might not want to live here forever is taken as heresy. Adelaide is a good city with lots of good people but with a lot of problems and a lifestyle that isn't inherently for everyone. Just like any Australian city.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 am

Nathan wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 pm
How about people actually try watching the show before trying to form opinions based off the title. :secret:
Ahhhh no.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm

In the meantime the reality is Adelaide is a growing and progressive city that is gem to a lot of people around the world and in Australia,you would have to be blind not to see it. Australian cities like to compete with each other like we do with our football yet each Australian city has its own unique beauty as well, we just bag each other about it.
At the end of the day it's all good.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by crawf » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 am

None of this probably related to the show... but I'll put in my 2c.

I just arrived back from Europe and to my surprise so many people have heard of Adelaide, they just didn't know where it was located. To their defence, some didn't know where Melbourne was located and Perth may aswell be in the middle of Australia. Everyone knew Sydney.

Flying in tonight and seeing cranes filtered throughout the city skyline and the riverbank lit up, it really gives you a sense of how much this city is changing. Walking the streets on a previous quiet week night and seeing bars and restaurants packed, is a far cry from only a couple of years ago.

The biggest negativity I found in Europe was from fellow Aussies (not all). Even speaking to some Europeans they were advised to avoid Adelaide by people from Syd/Melb unless if you like wine, sad but true. I put on my South Aussie cap on as many times I could and boast about our bustling bar scene and other positive changes and many were surprised by it. This is why the SA Govt needs to stop focusing on boasting to locals how great SA is, and heavily focus on interstate marketing. Adelaide itself needs to stop comparing it's self to other cities, and gain some confidence and realise Adelaide already has so many qualities. I actually think when we start seeing some real changes in our skyline over the next 24 months, this is going to boast confidence and reputation. Right now we have a constant changing street landscape but the city skyline looks like a relic from the 1980s. Same with projects like the LeCornu site, which has long been an embarrassment. A major new art gallery will also help put Adelaide on the map, as would attracting a major international event or two. Adelaide Expo 2024?

In saying this, SA marketing has improved alot in recent years compared to the previous failed promotions. However things like our legendary festival season is still unknown to the rest of Australia despite being the biggest in the country. If we are going to jam all these major events into a short period of time, then market the f*ck out of it. Adelaide is the place to be in Feb-March.

And yeah she isn't perfect, but she's a far better city compared to five years ago and cities like London absolutely shit over Melbourne and Sydney. So let's change it to... Fucking "love" Adelaide ;)