[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed Use

#1036 Post by Plasmatron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:40 am

claybro wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm
Great hall... wrong location. Needs to be near the "cultural boulevards"
Methinks it would be very suitable for the old RAH site on North Terrace.
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1037 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Plasmatron wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:40 am
claybro wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm
Great hall... wrong location. Needs to be near the "cultural boulevards"
Methinks it would be very suitable for the old RAH site on North Terrace.
Except few in the music arts community want a concert hall on the old RAH site, hence the ASO's lack of support for the idea. But let's face it, it's bureaucrats who will make that decision and then expect the ASO and its following to be grateful.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1038 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 pm
Except few in the music arts community want a concert hall on the old RAH site, hence the ASO's lack of support for the idea. But let's face it, it's bureaucrats who will make that decision and then expect the ASO and its following to be grateful.
Where do they want it built then?

Patrick_27

#1039 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:17 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 pm
Where do they want it built then?
Originally, on the site of the Festival Plaza. They have a few ideal locations, their latest plan was either the Sir Samuel Way Building or atop the Market Precinct.

ChillyPhilly

#1040 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 am

ACC may yet get its wish.

Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#1041 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:55 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 am
ACC may yet get its wish. Image
FFS, and how many of you said that this site falling into ACC hands was a good thing? If this becomes a carpark, it will never change from that.

SBD

#1042 Post by SBD » Thu May 10, 2018 11:54 am

Does anyone know the height limit for the area? It'd be a fantastic spot for a tall tower, except that it is almost exactly under the straight approach path to the main runway.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#1043 Post by ml69 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:49 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:54 am
Does anyone know the height limit for the area? It'd be a fantastic spot for a tall tower, except that it is almost exactly under the straight approach path to the main runway.
A tall tower will NEVER be built in North Adelaide.

ChillyPhilly

#1044 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

A few updates on here. I recommend clicking the links on the right hand side, in particular the Community Engagement Report.

https://yoursay.cityofadelaide.com.au/88-OConnell
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

#1045 Post by Hybrid » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 am

LOL here we go again,

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 32f8c3a908
Proposed building height for former Le Cornu site prompts political blame game among councillors
Simeon Thomas-Wilson, Urban Affairs Reporter, The Advertiser

TENSION is brewing between Adelaide councillors over plans to develop the former Le Cornu site in North Adelaide, amid claims the land is being used as a political football.

After buying the O’Connell St site for $34 million, the council released a draft of guiding principles for its development, with a preference for an eight-storey residential block with multiple small shops.

But North Ward councillor Phillip Martin is arguing the development should be restricted to only four storeys.

Cr Martin has dropped leaflets to local residents saying the decision made at a confidential session to allow eight storeys was not in line with community consultation.

But councillor Houssam Abiad says Cr Martin could put a “handbrake” on the economic benefits to North Adelaide by arguing the development should be restricted to only four storeys.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said building heights from four storeys to 20 storeys were suggested at the community consultation, and council made a “conservative and responsible” decision.

“A medium density development is the right use of ratepayer funds,” he said.

“There is a very strong argument to suggest that a considerably lower development would breach our fiduciary responsibility to our ratepayers to get a return on this.

“We don’t want this very key project to be frustrated by politically motivated shenanigans.” Cr Abiad said four storeys would be a “handbrake” on North Adelaide.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Martin Haese says eight storeys is an appropriate height for a development on the former Le Cornu site
“I would argue that he is playing a political game and representing an extreme minority view,” he said.

“This could cost the community a significant amount of money.”

But Cr Martin said other elected members were playing politics trying to rush through a development on the Le Cornu site before the election — and said it should be an issue for the next council.

“The fence at 88 O’Connell may have come down but a veil of secrecy has been drawn over what will happen there,” he said.

“There have been confidential meetings where Councillors have been presented with inadequate information and modelling which has not been subjected to independent review.

At a council meeting on Tuesday, a discussion was held for the land to be used as a temporary carpark for sporting and community events.

Llessur2002

#1046 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:36 am

As I read somewhere recently: the Le Cornu site is fast becoming Adelaide's next Le Cornu site.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#1047 Post by HiTouch » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:05 am

Seriously, I have become apathetic to this cause. It's the best example of Bureaucratic ridiculousness and bad developers.

I have gotten to the point where I actually wouldn't mind if it became a park. At least it would be a commitment.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

#1048 Post by Smithy85 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:49 am

There is an election later this year.

Absolutely zero chance anything will get agreed before Council goes into caretaker mode.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1049 Post by how good is he » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Under the tenders section in The Advertiser the ACC were seeking tenders for real estate services/agent for the 88 O'Connell St site. I expect they will appoint an commercial agent to advise on how best to handle the development and/or sale. I think the ACC will put in place guidelines/policies/covenants on what they want built [if they can agree] and then offer the site for sale either in parts and/or a whole by tender to the open market.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#1050 Post by HiTouch » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm
Under the tenders section in The Advertiser the ACC were seeking tenders for real estate services/agent for the 88 O'Connell St site. I expect they will appoint an commercial agent to advise on how best to handle the development and/or sale. I think the ACC will put in place guidelines/policies/covenants on what they want built [if they can agree] and then offer the site for sale either in parts and/or a whole by tender to the open market.
Unfortunately when it comes to anything in North Adelaide, the ACC won't agree. That's why the State Government made sure the ACC had no responsibility in Adelaide Oval or the footbridge.

I can't recall there even being a significant project in North Adelaide in the past 20 years that the ACC have been put in charge of and successfully completed. If anyone can think of one, feel free to inform me.