News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3271 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:21 pm

rubberman wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 pm
claybro wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:27 pm
Waewick wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm
Its from Tom so no doubt its an exaggeration.
Why would Tom Koutsantonis be commenting on how much longer it will take to open the extension? The technical problems are not now a political issue. The faults are being addressed by the suppliers, not the current government. In fact, most of the unexplained delays with the project occurred on the previous governments watch.
I agree that it's not a political issue. It was actually proceeding quite well until a month before the election. At that point it turned to excrement (I mean, five months to build platforms - you can build a whole house in that time).

I suspect that DPTI lost the previous project manager, and has struggled to find another one. Good project managers are hard to find, and keep. Especially on public service pay. Finding a competent project manager is not easy, but then finding one who knows something about tram systems is another level of difficulty as well. Then, assuming DPTI coukd find that person with tram expertise somewhere in Australia, how would they be lured to work for just a few months to finish a job?

Either that, or the government has gotten someone in from Sydney light rail project to help. THAT would explain everything.
Either way, It would be most disappointing if at this early stage Tom is trying to gain cheap political points over this. It is as bad as Steve Marshal banging on about the opening of segments of the motorway commenced when Labour were in office. It is just not a good look. Just focus on what positive contributions can be made to the tram/train system when next in office.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3272 Post by citywatcher » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 pm

claybro wrote:
Waewick wrote:
timtam20292 wrote:Please tell me this is a joke.....

From Twitter.
Why would Tom Koutsantonis be commenting on how much longer it will take to open the extension? The technical problems are not now a political issue. The faults are being addressed by the suppliers, not the current government. In fact, most of the unexplained delays with the project occurred on the previous governments watch.
Er because he is a shadow minister perhaps
Your comments are not substantiated
The biggest delays have occurred since the change in govt and most of the track infrastructure had been completed by the time of the election

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

claybro

#3273 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 pm
claybro wrote:[quote=Waewick post_id=170013 time=<a href="tel:1533012481">1533012481</a> user_id=1673]

From Twitter.
The biggest delays have occurred since the change in govt and most of the track infrastructure had been completed by the time of the election

[/quote]

You are confusing the inexplicable delays on basic construction prior to the election, with the documented technical issues to be resolved by the contractor since. Tom really shouldn't comment on these delays.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3274 Post by Goodsy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 pm
citywatcher wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 pm
claybro wrote:[quote=Waewick post_id=170013 time=<a href="tel:1533012481">1533012481</a> user_id=1673]

You are confusing the inexplicable delays on basic construction prior to the election, with the documented technical issues to be resolved by the contractor since. Tom really shouldn't comment on these delays.
[/quote]

But it was fine for the Libs to comment on every delay before the election

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3275 Post by citywatcher » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Yeah that's right
Any perceived delays prior to the election were of course inexplicable and the fault of the labor party but any delays since are well documented and the contractors fault and Tom k as shadow transport minister has no place to comment on it

claybro

#3276 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:55 pm
Yeah that's right
Any perceived delays prior to the election were of course inexplicable and the fault of the labor party but any delays since are well documented and the contractors fault and Tom k as shadow transport minister has no place to comment on it

citywatcher wrote:
Yeah that's right

So what was Tom Koutsantonis' answer to the current problems? I think we are all a bit over politicians of all persuasions taking cheap shots without providing any solutions. If Tom can't provide a solution because it is a contractor technical issue, he shouldn't comment. Likewise, had the previous delays been due to documented technical delays by the contractors, the liberals should have given it time to resolve. But some of the delays then were due to lack of work scheduling rather than technical problems. In that case, the government should have been all over the project managers.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3277 Post by how good is he » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:01 am

Ok all it needs now is the German tram expert flown out to say (cue Sargeant Schulz’s voice) “I see nothing, I know nothing, noth-ingggg!”

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3278 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:33 am

claybro wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Yeah that's right

citywatcher wrote:
Yeah that's right

So what was Tom Koutsantonis' answer to the current problems? I think we are all a bit over politicians of all persuasions taking cheap shots without providing any solutions. If Tom can't provide a solution because it is a contractor technical issue, he shouldn't comment. Likewise, had the previous delays been due to documented technical delays by the contractors, the liberals should have given it time to resolve. But some of the delays then were due to lack of work scheduling rather than technical problems. In that case, the government should have been all over the project managers.
It's now the libs responsibility
Their first and only move was to sack the project manager immediately and not replace him
If you do that you are not interested in the project

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3279 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:50 am

claybro wrote:
Waewick wrote:

From Twitter.
I can’t believe Koutsantonis is going complete ‘slope shoulders’ for responsibility on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan

#3280 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:12 am

citywatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:33 am
Their first and only move was to sack the project manager immediately and not replace him
Was that actually confirmed, or just conjecture?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3281 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:12 pm

It was reported on the news ..........

ChillyPhilly

#3282 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:55 pm

DPTI boss Michael Deegan was sacked by Marshall for no real reason as soon as he won office.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-21/n ... ts/9571042
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#3283 Post by SBD » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:43 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:55 pm
DPTI boss Michael Deegan was sacked by Marshall for no real reason as soon as he won office.

Was he directly involved in the tram project? Did he know it was coming a month before the election when work seemed to have slowed down?
Last edited by SBD on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claybro

#3284 Post by claybro » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:55 pm

No real reason? So the multiple examples of incompetence from his department that has been consistently highlighted on this forum is not reason enough?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3285 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:07 pm

He was sacked because he was a labour appointment
Pure and simple
To have not replaced him in the following months resulting in the project falling into shambolics is incompetence