News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: Apartments, Shopping Centre, Office Complex: Parade Norwood

#91 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:13 pm

HA well looks like Norwood has become a "look but don't touch" region, and wont be seeing any expansions or decent developments any time soon.

What a shame, another proposal to throw in the bin for Adelaide.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#92 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:08 pm

I am very much 50/50 on a high rise development on the Parade.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#93 Post by Ho Really » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:19 am

I wouldn't be unhappy if they built decent looking apartments or mixed-use buildings up here around Norwood. I think all main suburban centres like Norwood, Noarlunga, Glenelg, Unley, Marion, Salisbury, Elizabeth, Port Adelaide, Modbury and a few others should go that way, and build them on the main roads, such as this one proposed on The Parade. That can only attract small businesses and better public transport! You guys know that... :wink:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

MaximumForce
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Yatala to go for new homes

#94 Post by MaximumForce » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:31 pm

Anymore news / updates on this item? I'm hangin out to build a house at Magill, when this land opens up.

Ho Really

#95 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:39 am

MaximumForce wrote:Anymore news / updates on this item? I'm hangin out to build a house at Magill, when this land opens up.
Should get reasonable views from there.

Cheers

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Thank god for that....they got some nice areas around there but no one wants to buy them cos of the prison.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: UC - The Ashbrook - Ashford - 5 levels

#97 Post by Will » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:05 pm

This development is complete. The building looks very attractive.

Georgk
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Parcels of undeveloped land?!

#98 Post by Georgk » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:57 am

There seems to be a considerable amount of land, not far from the CBD, that I've not even heard mentioned when land shortage is discussed. Considering the debate over urban sprawl and land prices, I imagine there are very good reasons for this, which have just escaped my attention. Could someone tell me why the following aren't considered for development:

* Wasteland (??) North of the Port River Expressway (Bordered by the salt pans in the east and Whicker Rd & Grand Trunkway in the west)
- Proximity to the Wingfield dump would be a factor?
- Smell, birds, land contamination?
- Conservation issues?

* Torrens Island
- The same considerations as above?

* Salt pans
- Is the revenue from such a generic product still high enough for the owner not to consider selling off?
- A great amount of landfill would obviously be required to bring the area above sea level, but Pt Wakefield Rd would provide access for trucks etc.
- Would it be necessary to remove the soil , before land fill, for residential purposes?

All of the above offering "seaside" views etc, which would surely add to the attraction.

Cheers,

Georgk

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Parcels of undeveloped land?!

#99 Post by bm7500 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:35 pm

As i work in Wingfield, I have often wondered why the land to the North of the Port River Expressway remains vacant myself. From memory, this was to be used for the ill fated MFP development and i think it was also flagged as a possible location for a new Adelaide Airport. You would think that it could be used for commercial / industrial purposes at least...
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#100 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:48 pm

I agree. You might say it's mud, a leached podsol or whatever, but it was going to be good enough for the MFP.

My preference would be to relocate the industry from the Le Fevre peninsula to that wasteland. Think of it - you could dredge a harbour there and put the Sub factory there, as well as Adbri, Pivot fertilisers etc. Le Fevre peninsula would become a recreational and housing peninsula full of yacht clubs, canal developments etc.

Meanwhile, on the crook land to the north of the Expressway, the trucks leave the new container harbour and head away from the city without having to even enter the city road system. In fact most heavy haulage would now be able to bypass the city. The new harbour/industrial complex would be adjacent the Dry Creek rail terminal (incoming and outgoing Darwin and east west freight)

The troublesome freight line to Outer Harbor could be pulled up and replaced by a landscaped bike track, and the there would be no more B-doubles trashing the Port's roads.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#101 Post by Cruise » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:08 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I agree. You might say it's mud, a leached podsol or whatever, but it was going to be good enough for the MFP.

My preference would be to relocate the industry from the Le Fevre peninsula to that wasteland. Think of it - you could dredge a harbour there and put the Sub factory there, as well as Adbri, Pivot fertilisers etc. Le Fevre peninsula would become a recreational and housing peninsula full of yacht clubs, canal developments etc.

Meanwhile, on the crook land to the north of the Expressway, the trucks leave the new container harbour and head away from the city without having to even enter the city road system. In fact most heavy haulage would now be able to bypass the city. The new harbour/industrial complex would be adjacent the Dry Creek rail terminal (incoming and outgoing Darwin and east west freight)

The troublesome freight line to Outer Harbor could be pulled up and replaced by a landscaped bike track, and the there would be no more B-doubles trashing the Port's roads.
Wouldn't that render new bridges practically useless?

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by Bulldozer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:24 pm

Georgk wrote:* Salt pans
- Is the revenue from such a generic product still high enough for the owner not to consider selling off?
- A great amount of landfill would obviously be required to bring the area above sea level, but Pt Wakefield Rd would provide access for trucks etc.
- Would it be necessary to remove the soil , before land fill, for residential purposes?
I did some looking into the salt pans recently, 40km^2 and produces around 650,000 tonnes per year. It's some of the highest-quality sea-salt in the world and is used to make soda ash for glass manufacturing and sodium bicarbonate for things like baking and kidney dialysis(!). It's the only one in Australia as well (the chemical plant) and is strategically located to be close to input materials (salt pans and the limestone quarry) and customers (glass manufacturers). Due to growth in China, India, etc. there's currently a world-wide shortage of soda ash, so I don't think it's going to be going anywhere. Penrice recently sold off the salt pans to Cheetham Salt for a large amount of money so they could fund the upgrade and expansion of their plant, which they reckon would cost around $300 million to replace.

Georgk
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#103 Post by Georgk » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:40 pm

Bulldozer wrote: I did some looking into the salt pans recently, 40km^2 and produces around 650,000 tonnes per year. It's some of the highest-quality sea-salt in the world and is used to make soda ash for glass manufacturing and sodium bicarbonate for things like baking and kidney dialysis(!). It's the only one in Australia as well (the chemical plant) and is strategically located to be close to input materials (salt pans and the limestone quarry) and customers (glass manufacturers). Due to growth in China, India, etc. there's currently a world-wide shortage of soda ash, so I don't think it's going to be going anywhere. Penrice recently sold off the salt pans to Cheetham Salt for a large amount of money so they could fund the upgrade and expansion of their plant, which they reckon would cost around $300 million to replace.
Learn something everyday. And I thought salt was just salt.

Thanks Bulldozer.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#104 Post by rogue » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:10 pm

Aren't there contamination issues with the soil within the old MFP area?

Ho Really

#105 Post by Ho Really » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:32 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I agree. You might say it's mud, a leached podsol or whatever, but it was going to be good enough for the MFP.

An interesting but very costly idea. Just digging and dredging the new port (to a current 14.2 metre depth) would take a long time, and what about the infrastructure?

Cheers