[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#16 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:30 am

SRW wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:59 am

4) is this a security risk? I'm not aware of any major stadiums that have done this, and maybe there's a reason.
This is a really good point.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Pikey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 am

https://www.facebook.com/adelaideoval/v ... 482238928/

Looking at this video, the hotel has a very small footprint, and actually integrates with the eastern stand quite well. Still, I'm personally questioning the need for a SMA controlled hotel, wouldn't those funds be better invested in ways of enhancing/increasing affordability of the current experience of Adelaide Oval? Subsidisation of food and drink prices, permanency of the Footy Express service?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by citywatcher » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Deputy chairman of SMA is Liberal Party president John Olsen

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Ben » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:12 pm

I hope and assume all guests will be security scanned before checking in.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by ml69 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:42 pm

Pikey wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 am

Looking at this video, the hotel has a very small footprint, and actually integrates with the eastern stand quite well. Still, I'm personally questioning the need for a SMA controlled hotel, wouldn't those funds be better invested in ways of enhancing/increasing affordability of the current experience of Adelaide Oval? Subsidisation of food and drink prices, permanency of the Footy Express service?
I've got no issue with the location and design.

My issue is that this is funded by taxpayers, in a commercial venture which effectively competes with the private sector hotel market.

Why is a semi-government authority building and operating hotels for?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#21 Post by rev » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:13 pm

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by SRW » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Ignoring the merits of the proposal for now, I will say the design of the hotel subtracts something from the elegance of the eastern stand. It adds a great deal of bulk, that I think could be somewhat addressed by making its roof a green roof (recalling the vines of the old western stand) or a public space (parklands outlook for spectators).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Jaymz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm all for thinking outside the box, but this is one strange proposal.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#24 Post by floplo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:09 pm

ml69 wrote:
Pikey wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 am

I've got no issue with the location and design.

My issue is that this is funded by taxpayers, in a commercial venture which effectively competes with the private sector hotel market.

Why is a semi-government authority building and operating hotels for?
SMA / the Oval is already operating a conference, events and function space business competing with hotels, so adding hotel rooms isn't that much of a step

Sent from my G3116 using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#25 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:33 pm

I've got very mixed feelings about this one.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:24 pm

:wallbash: :wallbash:
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by wilkiebarkid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:45 pm

A fantastic addition to the Adelaide Oval experience. Imagine how well occupied this hotel would be. Another draw card for the sports lover to come to Adelaide.

The footprint doesn't even encroach on any undeveloped parkland. Therefore the ACC wankers and Parkland zealots are simply attention seekers for their own media profiles.

BRING IT ON.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:58 am

Not sure how this has already been submitted for consideration by the DAC without going to vote by SACA members? (as a SACA member, this point alone pisses me off).

To me, this proposal compromises the design of the Eastern Stand and the stadium as a whole. It's an unnecessary addition that only further corporatises a proud public asset. It's also another commercial property built into our parklands which not to side with the APPA but they have a point, both sides of politics have stopped at nothing to find ways of exploiting the parameters of commercial investment on the parklands. These are my initial concerns, the next would be the taxpayer dollars going into launching the project to kickstart it, any security issues that come with private rooms and proximity to the 53,000 seat stadium, how this is going to be noise proof and the overall viability of such a facility.

Frankly, I'd be incline to ask the question: "Why are we moving toward spending $42m on an unnecessary pipe-dream hotel attached to AO when that money could be better spent bringing a new lease of life into Memorial Drive Tennis Centre."

I say ditch this proposal and move on elsewhere with trying to bring money into the venue.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:07 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:58 am
Not sure how this has already been submitted for consideration by the DAC without going to vote by SACA members? (as a SACA member, this point alone pisses me off).

To me, this proposal compromises the design of the Eastern Stand and the stadium as a whole. It's an unnecessary addition that only further corporatises a proud public asset. It's also another commercial property built into our parklands which not to side with the APPA but they have a point, both sides of politics have stopped at nothing to find ways of exploiting the parameters of commercial investment on the parklands. These are my initial concerns, the next would be the taxpayer dollars going into launching the project to kickstart it, any security issues that come with private rooms and proximity to the 53,000 seat stadium, how this is going to be noise proof and the overall viability of such a facility.

Frankly, I'd be incline to ask the question: "Why are we moving toward spending $42m on an unnecessary pipe-dream hotel attached to AO when that money could be better spent bringing a new lease of life into Memorial Drive Tennis Centre."

I say ditch this proposal and move on elsewhere with trying to bring money into the venue.
For the aesthetics of the Oval, I don't like this proposal either. The Eastern stand looks great and is an excellent example of modern Adelaide architecture. It deserves to be seen as it is, from King William Street and the parklands. Not by having to get right up close and behind a hotel that's a spit away from it. Or maybe I'm wrong and it's built flush against the Eastern stand. That means it'll be blocked from view completely.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by omada » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:52 am

Echoing previous posts, no issue with the hotel, in fact, I think its great, but I do have an issue with throwing 42 Million of Public money at it- this money could be better spent elsewhere, ie PUBLIC infrastructure that everyone can benefit.