[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#31 Post by Norman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 am

Just to be clear, the $42m is a loan, not a grant. However, I think the Oval is great as is, and I think the hotel will get in the way of the beauty of the existing building.

LMB
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#32 Post by LMB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 am

For AFL games, cricket games and concerts - this is a no brainer. They will have no problems filling it for 30 days of the year (22 x AFL, 7 x cricket, 1 concert)

The other 335 days - that is the big question. It's not exactly the most accessible location.
It will need to be rated and priced 4.5 to 5 Star so it's not really going to be a hotel for the average punter either.

It could definitely help AO with their function enquiries and might also put a few bottoms on seats in the Hill of Grace restaurant, but not sure that the hotel is going to be commercially viable.

Tommo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#33 Post by Tommo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Looks pretty ugly to me, Adelaide finally gets something nice (Adelaide Oval upgrade) then they wrap it with a rather gross building so no-one can see it. Occupancy should be ok during the AFL season and T20/one day/test matches, I'd imagine a decent amount of visitors would stay from Friday to Sunday but otherwise it's a rather out of the way hotel (no tram right outside :hilarious: ). Going through bag checks each time you enter would get old pretty fast. On a separate note the Government has $37m of the budget to reallocate by axing the tram turn...

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by mshagg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:51 pm

I actually really like the idea of a hotel built into a stadium, but they're talking pure and unadulterated bullshit if they're claiming this wont affect the amenity of the eastern grandstand. In fact the whole "oh you wont even notice it's there" angle is pretty suspect, although not surprising given how predictable ACC and APPA responses would be (to be fair they have a point but the horse around the Adelaide oval bolted long ago).

On the plus side if mumbles marshall has a hard on for the development it might encourage him to extend the KWS tramline to its next logical point...

I assume SACA will figure out a way to nickle and dime the members with a hotel, too.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Plasmatron » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Its a No From Me.jpg
Its a No From Me.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

YellowRoad
Gold-Member ;)

#36 Post by YellowRoad » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:56 pm

This will put a private hotel operators offside, a spokesperson from the Majestic group raised concerns re: the government loan. Cited that their 6 hotels (counting the one soon to be U/C 5m away at the old channel 9 site) had no government support - and now they face the prospect of having to compete with a hotel that will be publicly financed. How will this loan compare to a bank loan in terms of interest and payment timelines?

On a side note when this was announced I was half expecting Jay to be calling a media conference - a very labor-like concept.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by how good is he » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:03 am

The reason Marshall gave for the Govt. loan was that the SMA couldn’t get a normal commercial loan from a bank to build a hotel as the land it was on was not owned by it (so obviously it couldn’t be mortgaged).

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Honey of a City » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:24 am

-10 for the design. In the renders it looks like a clunky block of flats hanging off of what is currently a facade which is an enhancement to its setting and an impressive arrival experience for events patrons. Indeed the only feature dragging the proposal up to the lower levels of mediocity is the curved design made necessary by an attachment to an oval. The sense of lightness and symmetry which was an original design intention for all of the grandstands will be lost. That’s a very personal aesthetic opinion from a very regular and enthusiastic attendee of events at the Oval year round. As for the idea of a hotel at the Oval, if that’s such a necessity there’ll be a massive development site on State Government land directly across the road if/when the Women’s and Children’s hospital relocates. As for the process, the owner of the surrounding land (ACC) was again shunted aside in the (non) consultation and announcement process. As for the government jeopodising future hospitality investment in SA, fair and predictable point from current stakeholders. Not a lot going for it for this ratepayer, taxpayer, sports supporter, lover of great design and my city.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#39 Post by ghs » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 am

Will there be a road guy going thru the parklands into the hotel ? If not then this is a recipe for disaster.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by how good is he » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 am

Don’t think will be a road to it but I would expect the current underground carpark would be linked to it.

Nort

#41 Post by Nort » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Don't know how I feel about this.

I'm generally opposed to any expansion of commercial development into the parklands because I think they are a unique asset that in the long term have the opportunity to be as iconic for Adelaide as Central Park is for New York. That said Adelaide Oval is already there and if it was a sympathetic development that brought life into that area year round without increasing the footprint of the site then that seems like a good thing.

The development as rendered doesn't look like it improves the area for anyone except the guests however. if it was a more unique development, incorporating green ivy walls and the like as a nod to the Ovals history then it could be a fantastic upgrade. As it is though it just seems like the government giving a loan to some of their mates and not benefiting anyone except the owners and those rich enough to stay in what will almost certainly be a very exclusive location.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#42 Post by HeapsGood » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Not overly enthused at this plan. Looks kinda lame and uninspiring. Maybe if it was built on the western side and incorporated a new tennis centre that would be somewhat more exciting.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#43 Post by rev » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:20 pm

ghs wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 am
Will there be a road guy going thru the parklands into the hotel ? If not then this is a recipe for disaster.
Why would there need to be a road going through the parklands for this? There's an undercover car park directly below it.
That underground car park also serves as a drop off/pick up point for the Hill of Grace restaurant in the eastern stand.

AdelaideGold
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#44 Post by AdelaideGold » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Would be a good way to activate that side of the Torrens in my opinion and sounds as though there is strong demand for further 4-5 star hotels. In addition some of those older hotels would likely need to consider upgrading as people would be more likely to stay in a new hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llessur2002

#45 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm largely ambivalent to a hotel being built here, although a little bit suspicious of public money being loaned for the purpose.

I don't like the design very much - not that it is bad in itself but because it detracts from the arguably good looking eastern facade of the existing Oval and upsets the overall balance of the three stands when viewed from above (this wouldn't really be a problem with most structures but sporting grounds do tend to feature in aerial views quite regularly).

Not sure how I feel about it overall.