All other development discussion.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#Official Space Thread

#1 Post by rev » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:44 am

Adelaide to host Australia's space agency
DECEMBER 12, 201812:01am
Australian Associated Press
Australia's new space agency will be based in Adelaide, reinforcing South Australia as a hub for innovation and technology, Prime Minister Scott Morrison says.

The PM says the Australian space sector is set to reach new heights and the agency will open doors for local businesses to access the $US345 billion global space industry.

"Our government's $41 million investment into the agency will act as a launching pad to triple Australia's space economy to $12 billion and create up to 20,000 jobs by 2030," Mr Morrison said.

“This agency is part of our plan for a stronger economy for South Australia and the country which is about delivering long-term, high-wage, high-skills jobs."

Premier Steven Marshall said South Australia was the ideal location for the space agency with a range of local businesses already established along with a rapidly growing defence sector.

"Establishing the headquarters of the Australian Space Agency in South Australia will launch our space and defence sectors to the next level," he said.

Federal Industry, Science and Technology Minister Karen Andrews said Adelaide was selected to host the agency after putting forward the strongest case.

"South Australia is already home to more than 60 organisations and 800 employees in the space sector and this decision builds on the very strong technology and defence presence in the state," she said.

"We are committed to growing Australia's space sector and our government is also investing $260 million to develop world-leading satellite capabilities and to significantly increase GPS accuracy in our cities and regional areas."

The Australian Space Agency will be located at Lot Fourteen on the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site by mid-2019, creating 20 jobs.

South Australia's connection to the space industry dates back to just after World War II with the Woomera Rocket Range established in the state's north in 1947.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... 0bf5eaadd5

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#2 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 am

Not that a nation of 25 million people needs it's own space agency, but this is good news for jobs and the local economy. I'm assuming this will be headquartered at Lot 14?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:49 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 am
Not that a nation of 25 million people needs it's own space agency, but this is good news for jobs and the local economy. I'm assuming this will be headquartered at Lot 14?
New Zealand has a national space agency, and their population is much smaller than ours!

claybro

#4 Post by claybro » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Some great news stories coming out of SA at present.

rhino

#5 Post by rhino » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am

claybro wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:35 pm
Yes, there are, but they have been for the previous 16 years too .....
cheers,
Rhino

new improved ghs
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by new improved ghs » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:04 am

rhino wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am
claybro wrote:
This *feels* different though. Like something's really changing this time. Boy I hope so.

Waewick

#7 Post by Waewick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm

rhino wrote:
claybro wrote:
Yes, I've met a lot of them.

Most have good jobs in Sydney and Melbourne now.

rev

#8 Post by rev » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:10 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 am
Why not? That's like saying we don't need a police force, just let some random groups do the policing work.
A space agency brings all the companies and people involved in the space industry under one umbrella. The benefits of that are huge.

Also, this..
British billionaire Richard Branson eyes South Australian space launch pad to send passengers into orbit
Stacey Lee, Sky News, The Advertiser
December 14, 2018 5:13pm
Subscriber only

The man leading the charge to take passengers into orbit is looking at South Australia as a potential destination to establish a launch site for his passenger spacecraft.

Virgin Galactic founder Sir Richard Branson wants to collaborate with the state to send paying travellers into space.

“I would love for our third space port to be built in Australia and to be able to take some of our Virgin Galactic spaceships to Australia and operate them from Australia,” Sir Richard told Sky News.

“I’m sure that’s something our team will be talking to your Space Agency about and hopefully it’s one of the first things that we’ll be able to accomplish together.”

Premier Steven Marshall welcomed Sir Richard’s pledge.

“South Australia is now getting international interest from leading entrepreneurs like Richard Branson, who are looking into opportunities in the space sector,” Mr Marshall said.

“This is just an indication of the worldwide interest we are receiving and the tip of the iceberg. Our state now has an enormous competitive advantage by having the national space agency in Adelaide.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... d1eafe4ffe

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Official Space Thread

#9 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:30 pm

I have created a new Space thread to discuss all things space.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by ml69 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 am

new improved ghs wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:04 am
rhino wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am
claybro wrote:
This *feels* different though. Like something's really changing this time. Boy I hope so.
I think we need to stop thinking that one massive project (eg Olympic Dam) or a new industry (eg Space) will turn our economy around from decades of relative decline vs the rest of Australia.

However, with the space industry, we now have another pillar to build the state economy. When we collectively combine these pillars such as defence, shipbuilding, space, viticulture, agriculture, renewable energy, tourism and mining ... then we see that SA has robust economic pillars which have a bright future post-manufacturing.

SA has experienced a double shock in the past 30-40 years with decline of local manufacturing and the State Bank debacle. The fact that we have almost completely transitioned out of a manufacturing economy with around 5.5% unemployment is not a bad outcome.

The good thing about the space industry is many are small-scale entrepreneurial start-ups (60 firms in SA currently with 800 total employees) and with the space agency announcement there will be much, much more to come. Hopefully this entrepreneurial spirit can spread out to other industries. A more entrepreneurial culture will ultimately lead to more jobs in SA.

claybro

#11 Post by claybro » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:29 pm

ml69 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 am
The good thing about the space industry is many are small-scale entrepreneurial start-ups (60 firms in SA currently with 800 total employees) and with the space agency announcement there will be much, much more to come. Hopefully this entrepreneurial spirit can spread out to other industries. A more entrepreneurial culture will ultimately lead to more jobs in SA.
Have to agree this is a great direction for the SA. Time for a new numberplate slogan "SA-THE START-UP STATE"

ghs (but alot worse)
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#12 Post by ghs (but alot worse) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:13 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:29 pm
ml69 wrote:
Have to agree this is a great direction for the SA. Time for a new numberplate slogan "SA-THE START-UP STATE"
It won’t. Entrepreneurs are freeloaders and will only come here demanding concessions. It wont make any difference anyway.

cricketworldcup
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #Official Space Thread

#13 Post by cricketworldcup » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 pm

If even half of this goes through, it will be awesome. If only I could get a job there. :(
I am a professional blogger at EverydaysGadgets.com and frequently write reviews about latest and trending gadgets. Check my review of

Code: Select all

https://everydaysgadgets.com/snorestrap-review/]Anti Snore Chin Strap

rev

#14 Post by rev » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:39 am

claybro wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:29 pm
ml69 wrote:
SA - Gateway to the Stars.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: #Official Space Thread

#15 Post by mattblack » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:19 pm

A few interesting developments that have been occurring on the space front. Plenty of money being thrown around;

http://theleadsouthaustralia.com.au/?p=40738
http://theleadsouthaustralia.com.au/?p=40569
http://theleadsouthaustralia.com.au/?p=40505
http://theleadsouthaustralia.com.au/?p=40325
http://theleadsouthaustralia.com.au/?p=40406

Sorry, don't know how to post the articles in full.