Sydney tower Evacuated

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
citywatcher
Legendary Member!

Sydney tower Evacuated

#1 Post by citywatcher » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:27 pm

A 33 storey apartment block in Sydney's Olympic Park was evacuated today after tenants reported loud " cracking noises " coming from the building .

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Sydney tower Evacuated

#2 Post by SBD » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:07 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:27 pm
A 33 storey apartment block in Sydney's Olympic Park was evacuated today after tenants reported loud " cracking noises " coming from the building .

News today says they have let people back into the building, except for 51 apartments. I can't work out how in a high rise apartment building, there can be 51 unsafe apartments, but the rest are OK for occupation. I don't think I could sleep well if I lived either above or below 51 apartments that are structurally unsafe for occupation.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by citywatcher » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:39 pm

SBD wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:27 pm

News today says they have let people back into the building, except for 51 apartments. I can't work out how in a high rise apartment building, there can be 51 unsafe apartments, but the rest are OK for occupation. I don't think I could sleep well if I lived either above or below 51 apartments that are structurally unsafe for occupation.
Evacuated again after a wbole wall collapsed in an Apartment

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:02 am

This is a newly built tower isn’t it? Is this the one that the company teamed up with a Chinese developer or was it merely financing? Kind of reminds me of the fiasco with the asbestos cladding from China from a couple years ago.

Surprising to see they let anyone back in so soon considering they said the building had moved 2mm and there were serious cracks on level 10.

SBD

#5 Post by SBD » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:24 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:02 am
This is a newly built tower isn’t it? Is this the one that the company teamed up with a Chinese developer or was it merely financing? Kind of reminds me of the fiasco with the asbestos cladding from China from a couple years ago.

Surprising to see they let anyone back in so soon considering they said the building had moved 2mm and there were serious cracks on level 10.
Yes, it’s only been occupied for a couple of months. I think the same developers and builders have done the other towers there too, not sure of any Chinese connections.

I was also surprised to let some people back in. It seems they only isolated the apartments on each level up one corner. I guess that shows confidence that corner won’t pull the whole building over.i don’t think I’d want to live in the next one along though.

rev

#6 Post by rev » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:26 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:24 pm
rev wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:02 am

Yes, it’s only been occupied for a couple of months. I think the same developers and builders have done the other towers there too, not sure of any Chinese connections.

I was also surprised to let some people back in. It seems they only isolated the apartments on each level up one corner. I guess that shows confidence that corner won’t pull the whole building over.i don’t think I’d want to live in the next one along though.
Yeh I’d be moving out permanently.
I only mention the Chinese as I heard there was some Chinese involvement with this company that built that tower and others, couldn’t find if they were involved with Opal or another one.

malyzajaczek
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by malyzajaczek » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 pm

This kind of news is dangerous for the building sector and those who develop apartment buildings. Today I read article on abc.net.au that not only the prices of apartments in opal tower are affected but it's having a cascade effect.If this kind of dangerous chatter continues it will make a lot of projects tank before they get off the ground in Adelaide and around Australia.

It's not the first project that had issues with cracking. Few of Adelaide's projects had issues too. One I didn't expect was the tram bridge on south road. I wonder what's next.
When things get intense, just remember "We're bunch of hairless apes, flying through space on a living spaceship".

rev

#8 Post by rev » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 am

malyzajaczek wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 pm
This kind of news is dangerous for the building sector and those who develop apartment buildings. Today I read article on abc.net.au that not only the prices of apartments in opal tower are affected but it's having a cascade effect.If this kind of dangerous chatter continues it will make a lot of projects tank before they get off the ground in Adelaide and around Australia.

It's not the first project that had issues with cracking. Few of Adelaide's projects had issues too. One I didn't expect was the tram bridge on south road. I wonder what's next.
Well that's where the construction industry needs to step up and reassure people that these are one off incidents to do with XYZ reasons, and not common place issues that arise.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:09 am

That Opal Tower will have to be demolished
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD

#10 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:22 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 am
malyzajaczek wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Well that's where the construction industry needs to step up and reassure people that these are one off incidents to do with XYZ reasons, and not common place issues that arise.
The tram bridge itself was fine. The problem appeared to be that the pedestrian/cycle bridge was cantilevered onto the ends of the supports, and then had huge throw screens/wind shelters added that introduced an unintended rotation force onto that section that had not been engineered for the extra load.

There are huge apartment and office buildings all over the world. The ones that don't crack, fall or burn down do not make the news, a bit like we don't get a daily news story about how many planes didn't crash today. It's rare enough that when something does go wrong, we hear about it.