What has been your longest commute?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
HiTouch
Legendary Member!

What has been your longest commute?

#1 Post by HiTouch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:32 am

Hi all,

I am going to be working fulltime for a period of time in Murray Bridge. I live in Adelaide and it's a 1 hour and 20min travel which would be my longest commute but Murray Bridge people who work in Adelaide always talk about how whingey we are as some of them have been doing the commute for decades.

I thought it might be appropriate to ask what's been your longest commute? Has it been around Adelaide or another city? or has it been somewhere more rural?

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: What has been your longest commute?

#2 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 am

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:32 am
Hi all,

I am going to be working fulltime for a period of time in Murray Bridge. I live in Adelaide and it's a 1 hour and 20min travel which would be my longest commute but Murray Bridge people who work in Adelaide always talk about how whingey we are as some of them have been doing the commute for decades.

I thought it might be appropriate to ask what's been your longest commute? Has it been around Adelaide or another city? or has it been somewhere more rural?
I did an hour and a half each way by car for a year and it killed me. But this was in the UK with stop-start traffic - actually moving would take some of the stress off I imagine.

Obviously it's not a possibility in your situation, but I'm much happier doing longer commutes by train than I am by car. It's nice to kick back, grab a book and let the train take the strain...

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by HiTouch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 am

I'd imagine an hour or 2 by public transport would be a little more chilled (unless you're standing). I've been putting podcasts on and audiobooks to keep myself engaged which has worked.

Nort

#4 Post by Nort » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 am

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:32 am
Hi all,

I've done 45-60 minutes drive as my longest.

For those Murray Bridge people saying "well we do it already so stop complaining!" it's worth remembering that there is a difference in commuting into and out of a city. They chose to live somewhere with less jobs and where you can get a larger home with more land for much less.
HiTouch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 am
I'd imagine an hour or 2 by public transport would be a little more chilled (unless you're standing). I've been putting podcasts on and audiobooks to keep myself engaged which has worked.
Yeah, I currently have a 20 min bike ride/10 minute bus ride into the city for work which I love, however I could put up with a longer commute if I could just sit down, relax, and read a book.

SBD

#5 Post by SBD » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:21 am

I lived about an hour from uni with a mixture of driving and public transport (I guess it would be called park'n'ride now).

I continued to live with my parents for about 20 months after I got a "real job" on the other side of town, so my commute was about an hour and 20 minutes, driving all the way, back in the days when Mount Barker Road went through Eagle on the Hill, and Portrush Road was only one lane each way between Kensington and Magill Roads.

There was a 10-15 minute window I could leave home any time in, and I got to work at almost the exact same time.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by JAKJ » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm

New York to Perth, landed 5.30am and was working by 8am. Brutal.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:04 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm
How did you not fall asleep standing up? Perth is just about as far from New York as you can get :shock:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by HiTouch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 pm

yeah that would kill me.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by ml69 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:28 pm

I remember listening to Jodie and Soda on Mix102.3 last year, and they got listeners to phone in with who had the longest commute.

The “winner” was this woman who drove from Port Pirie to Noarlunga EVERY DAY. That’s a 3 hour morning commute and a 3 hour afternoon nightly commute. Hard to beat that!

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by HiTouch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:42 pm

ml69 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:28 pm
I remember listening to Jodie and Soda on Mix102.3 last year, and they got listeners to phone in with who had the longest commute.

The “winner” was this woman who drove from Port Pirie to Noarlunga EVERY DAY. That’s a 3 hour morning commute and a 3 hour afternoon nightly commute. Hard to beat that!
That’s actually insane. I’m trying to work out how that would work... (6am - 9am driving) (8am - 5pm working) (5pm to 8pm driving) ? Dinner at 8.30? Go to bed at 10pm and start again.

Wow. That’s like almost a whole Joe Rogan podcast in 1 trip.

bits
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by bits » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:49 am

The media make stuff up for entertainment purposes. The general public is just as likely to make things up to get on the radio(fame?), win a prize or feel better about themselves because they have told others a story that makes themselves seem noteworthy.
Maybe someone foolishly did a 6 hour unpaid commute a day but it was probably just a lie.

I drive to Port Pirie for work and drive home the same day often. But that isn't a commute, the drive itself is chargeable work. If it is a 16 hour day, it just makes for lots of overtime.
I fly in and back out the same day where flights permit for small jobs in many of the regional towns. But all time is charged.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by JAKJ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 am

OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:04 pm
JAKJ wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm
How did you not fall asleep standing up? Perth is just about as far from New York as you can get :shock:
Lot's of caffeine and will power. Actually fell asleep standing up on the train after work!

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by HiTouch » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Update 2 months in. I was full time for the first month, now I’m permanent part time which is helpful as I can go back to study. Murray Bridge really isn’t that far at all. A nice drive. However in saying that, I would not be complaining if a public train went here kind of like the Sydney to Gosford line. I know a heap of people who would utilise this with their regular commute into town. Murray Bridge may be only 20,000 but it’s the centre of a demographic region of close to 50,000 with people commuting from Mt Barker, Strath, Mannum, Tailem Bend And even Meningie.