Adelaide Oval news and events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Nowlistencarefully
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Adelaide Oval news and events

#256 Post by Nowlistencarefully » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Given Adelaide or Pt. Moresby are currently the two remaining candidates for 2026 Commonwealth games and the Oval is earmarked for use in any successful bid. If Adelaide does succeed and accept do you think they be able to carefully augment/extend the western stand keeping lower level parts intact with another tier and improve facilities (weather proof the upper parts) with any funding that might get thrown its way. Possibly bringing capacity over 55000.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#257 Post by ml69 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Nowlistencarefully wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:18 pm
Given Adelaide or Pt. Moresby are currently the two remaining candidates for 2026 Commonwealth games and the Oval is earmarked for use in any successful bid. If Adelaide does succeed and accept do you think they be able to carefully augment/extend the western stand keeping lower level parts intact with another tier and improve facilities (weather proof the upper parts) with any funding that might get thrown its way. Possibly bringing capacity over 55000.
No. Adelaide Oval has enough capacity for the foreseeable future.

If any extra federal funding comes, it should go to funding a new multipurpose arena. Then sell off the Entertainment Centre site.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#258 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2019 10:47 pm

U2 in November was announced today.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#259 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am

HiTouch wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 pm
Would they do the Superbowl in a city that doesn't have a team? The reason I say that is that there's not a huge demand for NRL to be in South Australia so I'm skeptical. If they were serious, they would set up a team here or announce that they're interested in investing in Adelaide to lead to setting up a team.

Not only is there next to no demand for Rugby League in SA. I'd say the number of South Australians who even know that Rugby and League are two different sports is pretty small!
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#260 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:15 pm

I am a Newcastle supporter wish league was on this weekend when there was no AFL.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

rev

#261 Post by rev » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am
HiTouch wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 pm
Would they do the Superbowl in a city that doesn't have a team? The reason I say that is that there's not a huge demand for NRL to be in South Australia so I'm skeptical. If they were serious, they would set up a team here or announce that they're interested in investing in Adelaide to lead to setting up a team.

Not only is there next to no demand for Rugby League in SA. I'd say the number of South Australians who even know that Rugby and League are two different sports is pretty small!
I'm no fan of either league or union, but what do you base either point on exactly? A quick search paints a different picture..

Matches held here have routinely drawn around the 20,000~ mark or higher. For both union and league. We hosted two Union world cup matches in 2003 and around 60,000 people attended, 30,000 attended Argentina vs Ireland. The Rams had the fifth highest attendance records in the defunct Super League series, out of ten teams. Not bad for a state that apparently has no demand for the sport.

Personally I think if we built a new rectangular stadium in the city near Adelaide Oval for the soccer, we could get an NRL franchise setup here, or at the very least more NRL games hosted here which would show there is interest in the code which would entice more grass roots investment to grow their brand in South Australia which would eventually lead to a club being setup here.

Don't be surprised if within a decade the NRL setups two new clubs in Adelaide and Perth, especially if the TV rights deals keep getting bigger. Their current deal brings in $1.8 billion. The AFL's current deal is $2.5 billion, and A League $346 million. It's not like there's no clubs or leagues in SA. Some serious grass roots investment, and campaigning and marketing from the governing body similar to what the AFL is doing in league territory Western Sydney with the GWS Giants, or the A League is doing with the WSW in the same region, could pay off.

Plus, State of Origin is going to hosted here next year. I think you'll be surprised by just how many locals will attend.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#262 Post by Bob » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:25 am

A couple of months back I raised the concern about Adelaide Oval slipping down the pecking order and was the for the most part howled down on this forum. Among my examples I asked why the SMA hadn’t negotiated with CA to lock in Adelaide with a permanent day/night annual Test match slot, and I also raised the concern that India touring in 2020/21 will play only four test matches in Australia, with Sydney & Melbourne automatically locked in for two, and the other two TDB between Ade/Per/Bri.

Well that time has come, yesterday & today in Brisbane, meetings are being held to discuss both. Fingers crossed that Adelaide Oval does get one of the four Test matches for the India tour in the 2020/21 season, as one of the three venues has to miss out – Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#263 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:14 pm

Bob wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:25 am
A couple of months back I raised the concern about Adelaide Oval slipping down the pecking order and was the for the most part howled down on this forum.
No-one denied that other cities were getting events, the debate was entirely over whether Adelaide simply having more seats would have made a lick of difference in them choosing to take events to larger cities.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#264 Post by SRW » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#265 Post by rev » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:26 am

If the argument is about affordability in comparison to other venues, then the whole picture needs to be looked at such as average earnings as well as the overall cost of living.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#266 Post by Bob » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 am

Nort wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:14 pm
Bob wrote:
A couple of months back I raised the concern about Adelaide Oval slipping down the pecking order and was the for the most part howled down on this forum.
No-one denied that other cities were getting events, the debate was entirely over whether Adelaide simply having more seats would have made a lick of difference in them choosing to take events to larger cities.
Once again, you’re ill-informed.
The meeting held in Brisbane last month had all three contingents from Adelaide, Perth & Brisbane present their case why they should get one of the four test matches scheduled for Australia & India nest season 2020/21. Sydney & Melbourne already locked in.
Perth had the strongest case based on these four points:
• Newest, most advanced stadium of the three.
• Highest seating capacity of the three.
• In the closest time zone to India for higher TV audience (ratings & advertising $).
• Closet for India fans travelling to Australia.
Last season Perth took the #3 test match slot, this year they not only took the same slot, but gets one of the three-primary test matches against NZ, Adelaide & Brisbane were relegated to secondary test match slots against Pakistan.
Adelaide had its window of opportunity from 2014-17 when it was the red-hot stadium, at that point a permanent day-night slot in December school holidays should have been locked in, and it wasn't. Now even the SMA admit they are fighting to get an India Test match slot next year whereas six months ago they had the arrogance that Adelaide would automatically get a slot. Complacency. I hope Adelaide Oval prevails and gets a slot next season, if it misses out would be a travesty.
Maybe next time people in authority keep banging on about Adelaide being the best stadium in the country, if not the world, they should spend more time on cementing events first, before shooting off such stupid statements.
The decision will be announced early next year the India Test match schedule for 2020/21, and which of the three misses out.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#267 Post by JAKJ » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Bob wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 am
Nort wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:14 pm
Bob wrote:
Once again, you’re ill-informed.
The meeting held in Brisbane last month had all three contingents from Adelaide, Perth & Brisbane present their case why they should get one of the four test matches scheduled for Australia & India nest season 2020/21. Sydney & Melbourne already locked in.
Perth had the strongest case based on these four points:
• Newest, most advanced stadium of the three.
• Highest seating capacity of the three.
• In the closest time zone to India for higher TV audience (ratings & advertising $).
• Closet for India fans travelling to Australia.
Last season Perth took the #3 test match slot, this year they not only took the same slot, but gets one of the three-primary test matches against NZ, Adelaide & Brisbane were relegated to secondary test match slots against Pakistan.
Adelaide had its window of opportunity from 2014-17 when it was the red-hot stadium, at that point a permanent day-night slot in December school holidays should have been locked in, and it wasn't. Now even the SMA admit they are fighting to get an India Test match slot next year whereas six months ago they had the arrogance that Adelaide would automatically get a slot. Complacency. I hope Adelaide Oval prevails and gets a slot next season, if it misses out would be a travesty.
Maybe next time people in authority keep banging on about Adelaide being the best stadium in the country, if not the world, they should spend more time on cementing events first, before shooting off such stupid statements.
The decision will be announced early next year the India Test match schedule for 2020/21, and which of the three misses out.
The politics and demographics of whether to send a test to Perth (2+ million) or SEQ (3+ million) vs Adelaide (including those States comparative influence at the CA Board level) is not representative of the quality of the venues. Arguably Adelaide's uniqueness, history and reverence in the cricket world are our best chance of getting the India test and while we are still competitive when on a purely population and influence game we shouldn't be. It's not a ticket sale issue, just look at the last ashes where Adelaide had the second highest attendance after Melbourne. Filling the hill end of AO and making it a generic stadium will not change the decision making process for Cricket Australia, and in fact could hurt out chances by removing one of our competitive advantages.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#268 Post by Bob » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:36 am

I’ve said all this before over recent months in these forums, so I will brief.

Adelaide Oval redevelopment is the best thing that has happened since the Formula One GP was held here.

AO redevelopment date is great for Stage One, but in my opinion (and there are plenty who share this view behind the scenes), that Stage 2 and the final stage, is the missing northern stand.

TV shots behind the bowler when bowling to the River Stand end show an international cricket match in progress in a 21st century international world class stadium. However, the same shots for the other end show an international cricket match being played in what looks like a regional or county cricket ground with an identity crisis.

Stage 2 could have been included in a Commonwealth Games bid to expand AO past the magical 60,000 seated capacity mark. It would have served Adelaide as an international sporting hub for many years to come. I am not going to expand anymore on why 60,000 a magical mark is, that’s been thrashed to death already. I should add the top EPL clubs all have this figure as the aim for home stadium seated capacity when expanding their stadiums.

AO needs regular international events to serve its full purpose, SA needs more international tourism, AO needs to play a bigger role.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#269 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:52 am

Recent opinion piece - but relevant nonetheless:
Faultless Adelaide Oval is simply a class above opposing grounds, writes Robert Craddock

The trouble with getting interstate fans to concede the Adelaide Oval is Australia’s best cricket ground is that Test venues are a bit like beers.

Remember those days when people loved their home state’s beer so much they would block their ears to the suggestion a better drop could be bought across the border.

A man’s home (brew) was his castle, so to speak.

Logic was often swept away by deep parochial sentiment passed on from one generation to the next.

Sometimes you just don’t want to know …

But it’s true. Adelaide is now the standard setter. The benchmark.

Ratings are never permanent. If something goes “pop’’ during the weekend’s Test against Pakistan we’ll let you know about it and make any necessary concession.

But when Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood said recently Adelaide had the best pitch in the country that sealed the deal because it had just about everything else covered.

Ambience, beautiful old touches such as the tree-lined hill and old-fashioned scoreboard, easy access from the inner city, spanking modern grandstands … it’s all there.

Last year during the Boxing Day Test snorefest – er, sorry Test – in Melbourne I did a quick sweep of the press box to survey 10 journalists with more than 100 years of cricket watching and asked them to name their top three Australian cricket grounds, anonymously so there was no tummy-tickling.

The scribes made no pretence to speaking for everyone but it was striking that all 10 plumped for Adelaide as top seed.

The Oval picked up a maximum 30 votes compared to Sydney (16 including seven twos) with Perth’s Optus Stadium (seven), the MCG (five) and the Gabba (two).

Only two of the 10 voters lived in Adelaide.

Most of the 10 nominated for their top choice in a few seconds then said things like “right, ok, number two …. Hmmm … let’s see.’’

People like myself got it wrong suggesting the massive Adelaide Oval redevelopment would ruin the ground when, in fact, it has been the making of it.

Adelaide is the only ground in Australia without a fault.

Sydney has a historical charm all of its own and a delightful “new and old’’ feel to it but the match deck has the flavour of a service station sandwich.

Melbourne is big and bold and famous but the problem is the match deck is so timid the contest seems to shrink from Mr Universe to Mr Puniverse once the new ball is taken.

Brisbane has a wonderful pitch but is hot and suffocating, lacks character and has a deflatingly boxed-in feel about it.

Perth is grand and has a surprisingly good deck but, understandably, like any new venue, lacks a sense of history.

The last little edge Adelaide has relates to a theory from the respected cricket writer Mike Coward who said the best grounds have a sense of “place’’ where you know where you are from the scenery you can spot outside the ground from inside it.

Do a lap of the Adelaide Oval and you can spot the hills and the terraces outside forming a serene backdrop to a wonderful venue.
From: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/cr ... 8332de0f30 28th November 2019

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#270 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Just regarding the Perth's place in the pantheon for cricket:
'Perth's WACA Ground is no place for Test cricket in 2020, as laptops melt and spectators sizzle' as reported by ABC News

Basically argues Optus Stadium has not won over fans (yet) but there's no turning back to WACA. Choice quote for the parochial: "If Adelaide can attract consistent Test crowds of more than 30,000 so can Perth".
Keep Adelaide Weird