[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
aceman
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3556 Post by aceman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 pm

yep and that's how it will remain until there is funding, that's the reality unfortunately. in my old job I would often get caught out for hours at times. all it takes is a vehicle breakdown, accident or in this case a water main and it quickly turns into the south road car park. there's no quick fix it's at least another decade away.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#3557 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 am
It's wider because it accommodates 4 lanes each way, plus merging lanes.
I mean seeing it in real life made the size of it really apparant. For me at least things look bigger in real life than they do in pictures and videos.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3558 Post by muzzamo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:49 pm

phenom wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm
Norman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm
A new video has been posted by DPTI showing the journey from Tonsley to Flinders Drive.

https://youtu.be/A1cAjoM-c_A

And Ayliffes Road to Southern Expressway

https://youtu.be/wIUhogWAHGU
Interesting that they deleted the Ayliffes Road to Southern Expressway video at some point today - it was there earlier but it's now unavailable. I didn't see anything too controversial about it so I don't know why they took it off... hopefully comes back on soon though..
There is a classic episode of utopia about this - season 3 episode 1 from memory. The people walking around in the render probably weren’t diverse enough or something.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3559 Post by aceman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 pm

has anyone seen whether they have started laying bitumen in the trench near flinders drive? I swear I could smell it as I was travelling south today but you can't see into the trench while travelling in that direction.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#3560 Post by kymbosa » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:04 am

aceman wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 pm
has anyone seen whether they have started laying bitumen in the trench near flinders drive? I swear I could smell it as I was travelling south today but you can't see into the trench while travelling in that direction.
Yes they have and by the end of April, south bound traffic should be able to drive on the lower section. Entrance on to it will be 30m past the Shepards Hill road intersection.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3561 Post by rev » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:46 pm

On the northern end of the stretch between T2T & Superway there's demolition that has started on at least one property. While on the southern end a new property has been built.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3562 Post by aceman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm

at the northern end which side of south road have they demoed? east or west? on the western side u have the mattress factory etc

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3563 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:05 pm

aceman wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm
at the northern end which side of south road have they demoed? east or west? on the western side u have the mattress factory etc
The property is on the eastern side of South Road.

Darsfreer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] North-South Motorway

#3564 Post by Darsfreer » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:37 pm

On the western side there’s a house demolished (next to a newer to be demolished double story house) next door to the block of shops on Pym St corner..
On the Eastern side there’s been about 5 houses (and units) demolished in recent weeks. 3 on the block after the soccer oval.. (but not right on south rd) and 2 on the corner of Wolseley and South Rd..
Lots of other houses etc are empty and or bordered up and fenced off ready for demolition. (Frequent south rd user and interested observer of civil works )

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3565 Post by muzzamo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:12 am

South Australia’s most ambitious infrastructure project will finally be completed after Prime Minister Scott Morrison pledged a further $1.5 billion for the North-South Corridor.

The new promise means tomorrow night’s Federal Budget will include $2.7 billion for the project, which will create a non-stop 78km route from Gawler to Old Noarlunga. That figure includes a $1.2 billion commitment in last year’s Budget.

Mr Morrison told The Advertiser the funding would help complete the final “key central section” of the South Rd redevelopment.

The two stages, totalling 10.5km, stretch from the River Torrens to Anzac Highway and from Anzac Highway to Darlington.

The 67.5km of the corridor route that has been completed or is under construction has so far cost the state and federal governments $4.3 billion.

However, the final two stages are expected to cost in excess of $5 billion. The exact figure is still to be determined, with the State Government considering a range of options, including tunnels.
Artist impression of proposed tunnels under South Rd for the North-South Corridor.

Other sections of South Rd, which stretches from Adelaide’s north to south, have already been upgraded under a Coalition promise to complete the work within a decade.

Tomorrow’s funding announcement will ensure the project can be completed.

The State Government will be expected to match the funding and, along with the Opposition, will be keeping a close eye on how much money is allocated over the next four years.
Where the possible tunnels would run under South Rd.

Last year’s Budget included $1.2 billion for the North-South Corridor but the Government faced accusations from the Opposition that it was “all smoke and mirrors” when documents showed $177 million was allocated over the forward estimates.

The State Government has not been concerned, arguing work on the project is not expected to start until 2022 and the money is locked away in a 10-year infrastructure budget established to provide states and territories with certainty.

Any money announced in the forward estimates tomorrow is expected to be focused on compulsorily acquiring properties to make way for the road.

The Avoca Hotel on South Rd, owned by the RSL, is among properties which have faced an uncertain future.

The organisation’s chief executive for SA and NT, Kim Henshaw, has previously said the building would be for sale at a reasonable price.
RSL CEO Kim Henshaw at the Avoca Hotel, which is in the path of the wrecking ball — should the South Rd upgrade be finished. Picture: AAP / Dean Martin

Mr Morrison said his South Australian colleagues had made sure the North-South Corridor was at the top of the agenda for the Federal Budget.

“This investment is about getting Australians home sooner and safer. I want people to spend less time in traffic and more time doing what’s important to them,” he said.

Federal Infrastructure Minister Alan Tudge said completing the North-South Corridor would make a huge difference for the people of Adelaide.

“It’s been truly great to work with the Marshall Liberal Government on the remaining stages, which will be the most complex,” he said. “But they are progressing well so we can get on with delivering the final section.”

The connector is the biggest infrastructure project in South Australia’s history, ahead of the new $2.3 billion Royal Adelaide Hospital and the $1.8 billion desalination plant.

Federal and state Labor have also been long supporters of the project, which started with the construction of the Gallipoli Underpass in 2007.

Other SA projects in the Federal Budget include:

GOODWOOD and Torrens Junction, $189.4 million;

JOY Baluch Bridge, $160 million;

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3566 Post by Nort » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:36 am

Mr Morrison said his South Australian colleagues had made sure the North-South Corridor was at the top of the agenda for the Federal Budget.

“This investment is about getting Australians home sooner and safer. I want people to spend less time in traffic and more time doing what’s important to them,” he said.
Uh-huh.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3567 Post by muzzamo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Political of course, but worth sharing:

Steven Marshall's announcement
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=648808915577859

DPTI videos of some of their concept design/options

https://www.facebook.com/StevenMarshall ... 0431191043

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3568 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:03 pm

So that's both major parties committing the same amount of money. Now it's up to the engineers to come up with the solutions on which option should be taken. Exciting times!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3569 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:48 pm

Whatever they do, it's crucial it's at least 3x3 lanes.

We already made the mistake decades ago with not implementing the MATS plan, let's not repeat history by not future proofing this motorway.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3570 Post by aceman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:13 pm

so does this funding include the pym st - superway section or is that funded separately?