Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you support a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

Yes, it would be great for the city
46%
No, waste of money
24%
Not 2018, but 2022 or 2026
30%

Total votes: 104

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

#166 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Adelaide is top contender, says Games chief
Reece Homfray, 17 April 2019, The Advertiser

COMMONWEALTH Games Australia boss Craig Phillips says Adelaide makes the most compelling case as a host city in the Commonwealth, and will engage in talks with the State Government today.

Mr Phillips met business, sport and tourism groups yesterday and will be joined by CGA president Ben Houston for meetings with Sports Minister Corey Wingard, Tourism Minister David Ridgway, the Adelaide City Council and the Office for Recreation and Sport today. The office is leading a feasibility study into the possibility of Adelaide bidding for the 2026 Games.

“You have to go a long way to beat Adelaide in terms of a city that could really come alive with the festival of the Games, along the Riverbank, the Convention Centre and Adelaide Oval,” Mr Phillips said. “We see it being a very vibrant place.

“In fact, we were talking about it in meetings today – you would have to go a long way to find cities anywhere else in the Commonwealth that have the same sort of offering of venues in close proximity to each other but also to the centre of town. There is still a long way to go but if the Government keeps going and finds a compelling enough argument to host the Games here, we think it would be a great Games in 2026.” Mr Phillips said he was aware of the UK-based Commonwealth Games Federation talking with other cities around the world for 2026. The next Games in 2022 will be held in Birmingham, England.

“But the sense we’re getting (from the CGF) is the dialogue they’ve had with others isn’t as advanced as we are here,” he said. “(We are here) to connect with government about the feasibility study and how they’re tracking, and how we can input into their work.

“And to meet with the new council and Lord Mayor to get a sense of their level of support for it happening. As well as key influences in the community and business about the appetite for supporting a Games and what they see as important for beyond the 12 days of sport – what are the benefits and legacies?” Mr Phillips said there have not been any talks about the timing of a Games in Adelaide – touted as either March or October – and how to do so with minimal disruption to normal business at Adelaide Oval.

Mr Phillips has brought with him copies of the “post-Games report” from the Gold Coast that was released earlier this month and detailed a $2.5 billion economic boost to the Queensland Government. Adelaide was described as “largely Games-ready” by a CGF report last year.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#167 Post by Nort » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Hopefully October rather than March! Although the idea of adding a Commonwealth Games into the Mad March pile is quite amusing. :D

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#168 Post by Brucetiki » Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 am

Nort wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 pm
Hopefully October rather than March! Although the idea of adding a Commonwealth Games into the Mad March pile is quite amusing. :D
Late October/early November would make sense. Football commitments end at Adelaide Oval in late September (SANFL Grand Final and potentially an AFL Preliminary Final). It'll still be tight to fit the athletics track into the Oval in this time frame, but it also means you could stack the cricket program into January/February.

A March/April date for the Commonwealth Games would be more problematic, but Melbourne and the Gold Coast have shown it can be done.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#169 Post by Spotto » Mon May 20, 2019 3:22 pm

If the Commonwealth Games do end up coming to Adelaide at some point (hopefully not soon), if planned correctly, this could be the opportunity to complete or at least set into motion our pending public transport and road projects. Adelaide will need them if we plan on hosting, and they will definitely see use long after the games depart. Completing the North-South Motorway, Trams to North Adelaide, Norwood Town Hall and the city loop (plus a second depot), and more train station park'n'rides and bus-train interchanges come to mind.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#170 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon May 20, 2019 6:24 pm

They're just a pissant version of the Olympics, which in itself is just a poor man's football world cup. Hopefully Australia bids on the latter sometime in the medium-term future and Adelaide can host matches for it.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#171 Post by cmet » Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:They're just a pissant version of the Olympics, which in itself is just a poor man's football world cup. Hopefully Australia bids on the latter sometime in the medium-term future and Adelaide can host matches for it.
“The Olympics is a poor mans football World Cup”

Well there it is, the dumbest thing I’ve read all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#172 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon May 20, 2019 10:46 pm

I was clearly being somewhat facetious re: the Olympics being a poor man's world cup. That said, the football world cup is bigger than the Olympics and hosting it would be huge for Australia.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#173 Post by rev » Tue May 21, 2019 11:42 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 am
Nort wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 pm
Late October/early November would make sense. Football commitments end at Adelaide Oval in late September (SANFL Grand Final and potentially an AFL Preliminary Final). It'll still be tight to fit the athletics track into the Oval in this time frame, but it also means you could stack the cricket program into January/February.

A March/April date for the Commonwealth Games would be more problematic, but Melbourne and the Gold Coast have shown it can be done.
March could be a problem with the late bursts of heat we get. We might be used to it, but foreign athletes would struggle and it wouldn't be ideal for tourists/spectators.
If we do get the games, and April is chosen, hopefully we have a mild April like we did this year.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#174 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Aside the usual posturing, the takeaway is that the feasibility study is ongoing:
State Govt tight-lipped on Commonwealth Games plans
3 July 2019, Stephanie Richards, InDaily

A State Government move to exclude the public from an Adelaide City Council meeting about the city’s bid to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games has angered some councillors, who say the community has a right to know.

Last night representatives from the Office of Recreation and Sport briefed city councillors on a “Commonwealth Games Feasibility Study” it plans to undertake to determine the cost and merit of Adelaide hosting the 12-day event.

According to the council’s agenda, the State Government had requested that the study be discussed in confidence as the disclosure of information “could reasonably prejudice the ability of council to undertake/participate in future negotiations relating to hosting a future Commonwealth Games.”

“It is necessary and appropriate to act in a meeting closed to the public as the consideration of… (the item) listed on the agenda in a meeting open to the public would on balance be contrary to the public interest,” the agenda stated.

“At the request of the State Government, this item includes information provided on a confidential basis provided by a public authority.”

But councillors Anne Moran and Robert Simms argued during the meeting that the information was in the public’s interest.

“I do understand that it is a feasibility study, but at the same time with a project of this size it’s very much in the public interest in terms of wanting the community to get information about what’s in the scope and (to) get a sense of discussions that are being had,” Simms said.

“I think there should be open discussions in the community about this so I don’t support it being held in confidence.”

Moran asked the meeting’s chair, Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad, if the State Government would proceed with the meeting if the council decided not to discuss the item in confidence, but he said they “probably” wouldn’t.

The council’s director of growth Ian Hill said the State Government would discuss the feasibility study in cabinet “shortly” and it wanted to “canvas some more detailed conversation with… elected members before going to cabinet”.

Both Moran and Simms voted for the council to not exclude the public from the discussion, but they were defeated with the support of all other councillors.

Moran told InDaily after the meeting that the discussion did not warrant confidentiality as there was no costings mentioned.

“They were just testing whether we (the council) were massively against it,” she said.

“They pointed out that other than two cities (that have hosted the Commonwealth Games), on paper the rest didn’t make a profit but there were uplifts for things like public transport and infrastructure.

“One of the councillors mentioned housing and asked if they could use the houses built during the Games for social and affordable housing afterwards.

“They (the State Government representatives) said that in Queensland they had done that.”

Moran said the State Government was planning to undertake a “detailed cost benefit study” as part of its initial investigations into hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

The 2018 Games, hosted by the Gold Coast, cost taxpayers $2 billion from state, federal and local government coffers.

But it was touted at the time that hosting the spectacle would generate $4 billion in economic activity.

Sports Minister Corey Wingard said in a statement to InDaily that Moran and Simms were “either grandstanding for media attention or a bit confused over the processes which were explained to them at the briefing last night”.

“I hope it is the latter,” he said.

“In the spirit of cooperation with a stakeholder who may be impacted by a Commonwealth Games and have advice to contribute, we approached the Adelaide City Council to offer them a courtesy update on the progress of the study, which is yet to be completed.

“It is a requirement by the Commonwealth Games Federation that the feasibility phase of their process is kept confidential at this stage.”

Adelaide is Commonwealth Games Australia’s preferred city to bid for the 2026 Games.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#175 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:35 pm

Apparently Adelaide is the only city in the bidding for the Commonwealth Games for 2026, so it's pretty much a given we will get it. I can't see the official commonwealth games organisation deciding to skip the 2026 Games?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#176 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:02 pm

I really hope so. Regardless of the sometimes cited second-rate nature of the event compared to the Olympics it will be a great boost to the international reputation of Adelaide and should see a nice influx of visitors over the two week period it is running. Luckily we have a few hotels coming on line in the coming months :)

Also the boost to public transport infrastructure which usually precedes the event will probably be the only expansion likely to happen under the Liberals' watch. It's hard to see how we would come away with anything less than one or more of the city-based tram extensions or even, maybe, an airport extension.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#177 Post by Ben » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:08 pm

6 years is not a lot of time to do what needs to be done. Given some project take 3 years for construction ect. There must be a lot going on behind the scenes.

The Athletes village for example would not be able to go at the WCH site as previously mentioned as the new one won't be complete. Possibly they could use Lot 14 which would cause an uproar. Bowden has all been sold to developers as far as I know. There was talk of the South West CBD but I fail to see how that would work when you have so many different land owners. There was talk of the showgrounds as well which is possible but I think would be a missed opportunity.

I think there would need to be some sort of expansion to Adelaide Oval, memorial Drive. CBD tram loop. A number of private hotels. it would be transformational for the city.

Nathan

#178 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:08 pm
6 years is not a lot of time to do what needs to be done. Given some project take 3 years for construction ect. There must be a lot going on behind the scenes.

The Athletes village for example would not be able to go at the WCH site as previously mentioned as the new one won't be complete. Possibly they could use Lot 14 which would cause an uproar. Bowden has all been sold to developers as far as I know. There was talk of the South West CBD but I fail to see how that would work when you have so many different land owners. There was talk of the showgrounds as well which is possible but I think would be a missed opportunity.

I think there would need to be some sort of expansion to Adelaide Oval, memorial Drive. CBD tram loop. A number of private hotels. it would be transformational for the city.
Lots at Bowden are sold to developers one by one, and nothing between Drayton St and Chief St has been released, nor immediately along the train line. So government still owns most of the undeveloped land, but a large single development like a games village wouldn't match with what they're trying to achieve via that method. I did hear Thebarton mentioned in one similar discussion, perhaps the Coke site?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#179 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Bear in mind, there's a population target for the city of 50,000 by 2030, and at around 27,000 currently, we're not on track to meet it until 2050. To me, the games must therefore be used to drive urban development (residential and transport). My preference would be for 2-3 large sites in the city for the athlete's 'village'. In terms of connectivity and urban uplift, ideal would be around the bus station, the Currie Street bus depot (and possibly Remand Centre), or the former New Mayfield plot. I guess it could also be incorporated into council's mixed use redevelopment of Central Market Arcade scheduled from next year.

In terms of sporting facilities, I imagine the athletics and netball stadiums in the West Parklands/Mile End would need some work, and Hindmarsh would probably need temporary stands. The state swimming centre at Marion and cycling/velodrome at Gepps Cross are probably fine although I wish they were more central. I expect the Liberals will be fairly minimal, so beyond public transport improvement and hotel/residential development, the biggest asset hosting the games might catalyse would be a multipurpose courtsports arena in the city.
Keep Adelaide Weird

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#180 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:27 am

Given that some of the facilities exist next to the old Northfield railway line (eg. the velodrome), that could be relaid and operational. There is plenty of vacant and industrial land that could be turned into an athletes' village.