Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Do you support de - regulation of shop trading hours ?

Yes
36
90%
No
4
10%
 
Total votes: 40

Message
Author
bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#121 Post by bits » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Here's something to think about.

I have been told Coles will not be opening many of their stores on Easter Monday. The workers must take that day off as annual leave or time in lieu.
So these workers have a choice of losing pay for a public holiday and a day of their annual leave or they can choose to lose pay for a public holiday and pay for 8 hours of overtime.
All this lost income so the stores can remain closed.

Clap clap to this useless Liberal Government for reducing income of South Australians while failing to actually have shops open longer.


PS Radio Rentals has obviously announced it can not compete with larger interstate and international retailers days before this round of public holidays.

neoballmon
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Morphett Vale
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#122 Post by neoballmon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi Bits, where did you hear this?
I work for Coles, they are highly promoting that all metro stores will be open 11-5 Monday including radio ads constantly.
Im currently working in a small store (North East) that's open Monday and my old small store (South) is also open.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#123 Post by ghs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 pm

bits wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 pm
Here's something to think about.

I have been told Coles will not be opening many of their stores on Easter Monday. The workers must take that day off as annual leave or time in lieu.
So these workers have a choice of losing pay for a public holiday and a day of their annual leave or they can choose to lose pay for a public holiday and pay for 8 hours of overtime.
All this lost income so the stores can remain closed.

Clap clap to this useless Liberal Government for reducing income of South Australians while failing to actually have shops open longer.


PS Radio Rentals has obviously announced it can not compete with larger interstate and international retailers days before this round of public holidays.
With radio rentals, they should have realised 10 years ago that everything was going online and then transitioned their business into an
online e-commerce retailer. If they're not prepared to change then that's their own fault.

In terms of deregulation of shopping hours, I am not sure if that situation can be blamed on the libs. As far as I know Steve Marshall
and most of the party wanted that changed.

Verbatim9
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#124 Post by Verbatim9 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:23 pm

ghs wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 pm
bits wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 pm
Here's something to think about.

I have been told Coles will not be opening many of their stores on Easter Monday. The workers must take that day off as annual leave or time in lieu.
So these workers have a choice of losing pay for a public holiday and a day of their annual leave or they can choose to lose pay for a public holiday and pay for 8 hours of overtime.
All this lost income so the stores can remain closed.

Clap clap to this useless Liberal Government for reducing income of South Australians while failing to actually have shops open longer.


PS Radio Rentals has obviously announced it can not compete with larger interstate and international retailers days before this round of public holidays.
With radio rentals, they should have realised 10 years ago that everything was going online and then transitioned their business into an
online e-commerce retailer. If they're not prepared to change then that's their own fault.

In terms of deregulation of shopping hours, I am not sure if that situation can be blamed on the libs. As far as I know Steve Marshall
and most of the party wanted that changed.
The Coles website as well as the Woolworths website states the all Adelaide Metro stores will be trading on Easter Monday from 11am-5pm. As far as Radio Rental's demise changing dynamics such as cheaper white goods and electronics available on the market and the introduction of after pay have all added to the closure of that business model.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#125 Post by bits » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Apparently I don't listen well.
It is Sunday that SA stores are shut and staff need to take annual leave or unpaid leave etc.
NSW, Vic, Queensland and ACT have Easter Sunday as a public holiday and pay employees as such.

The main issue was the talk that opening Easter Monday now makes SA fall inline with the other states while that is wrong. SA employees are getting less than the other states because of the lack of restrictions in SA for public holidays.

Verbatim9
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#126 Post by Verbatim9 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:17 pm

bits wrote:Apparently I don't listen well.
It is Sunday that SA stores are shut and staff need to take annual leave or unpaid leave etc.
NSW, Vic, Queensland and ACT have Easter Sunday as a public holiday and pay employees as such.

The main issue was the talk that opening Easter Monday now makes SA fall inline with the other states while that is wrong. SA employees are getting less than the other states because of the lack of restrictions in SA for public holidays.
Yes on Sunday stores are closed in metro Adl and Syd Other States and Territories open. QLD just recently made Easter Sunday a Public Holiday a couple of years back in exchange for an open trading day for non excempt stores. Some kind of deal that had to be struck with the Unions and Government at the time to allow for the change.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#127 Post by bits » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Verbatim9 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:17 pm
QLD just recently made Easter Sunday a Public Holiday a couple of years back in exchange for an open trading day for non excempt stores.
Yep and what did Liberals give South Australians for losing their public holiday? Zero?
Now South Australian workers have the worst public holiday trading terms in the country.
SA voters should push hard that in 2020 and onwards Easter Sunday needs to be declared as a public holiday so SA Easter holiday period is inline with other states just as the Liberal Government wanted.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#128 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:32 pm

bits wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 pm
Verbatim9 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:17 pm
QLD just recently made Easter Sunday a Public Holiday a couple of years back in exchange for an open trading day for non excempt stores.
Yep and what did Liberals give South Australians for losing their public holiday? Zero?
Now South Australian workers have the worst public holiday trading terms in the country.
SA voters should push hard that in 2020 and onwards Easter Sunday needs to be declared as a public holiday so SA Easter holiday period is inline with other states just as the Liberal Government wanted.
Do you mean supermarket staff were paid ordinary time for Sunday, and Public Holiday overtime for Monday? Did that apply for all workers on Sunday and Monday or just supermarkets?

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#129 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pm

ghs wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 pm
bits wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 pm
Here's something to think about.

I have been told Coles will not be opening many of their stores on Easter Monday. The workers must take that day off as annual leave or time in lieu.
So these workers have a choice of losing pay for a public holiday and a day of their annual leave or they can choose to lose pay for a public holiday and pay for 8 hours of overtime.
All this lost income so the stores can remain closed.

Clap clap to this useless Liberal Government for reducing income of South Australians while failing to actually have shops open longer.


PS Radio Rentals has obviously announced it can not compete with larger interstate and international retailers days before this round of public holidays.
With radio rentals, they should have realised 10 years ago that everything was going online and then transitioned their business into an
online e-commerce retailer. If they're not prepared to change then that's their own fault.

In terms of deregulation of shopping hours, I am not sure if that situation can be blamed on the libs. As far as I know Steve Marshall
and most of the party wanted that changed.
It seems to me that the Liberal members of government wanted to simplify (not completely remove) trading hours restrictions. Parliament as a whole (presumably Labor and crossbench) did not support these legislative changes. As a consequence, the government has reminded the administration that there are legal restrictions and they should be enforced.

To me, a major issue uncovered here is that the public service/police were selectively not enforcing some laws applicable to some businesses. If it's the law, it should be enforced. If it's a bad law, it should be changed. The current Liberal government is being widely criticised for enforcing laws that it tried to change, since these laws had not been being rigidly enforced under previous governments (I don't know for how long). If a modern shop of 450 square metres equates to an older shop of only 400 square metres, it shouldn't be a public servant who decides that "450 is OK but 500 is too much". The law says 400, so 401 should be too much and have to be fixed (subject to measurement errors). If retail conditions have changed and the threshold should now be 450, 600 or 300 square metres, it should be Government that gets to change the rule.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#130 Post by bits » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm


SBD wrote:
Do you mean supermarket staff were paid ordinary time for Sunday, and Public Holiday overtime for Monday? Did that apply for all workers on Sunday and Monday or just supermarkets?
Supermarket staff were not paid if they were rostered to work on the Sunday. Those SA employees simply lost that income for the week.
Then the ones rostered to work on the Monday had to work on their public holiday and have simply lost that time off.

Verbatim9
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#131 Post by Verbatim9 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:40 am

bits wrote:
SBD wrote:
Do you mean supermarket staff were paid ordinary time for Sunday, and Public Holiday overtime for Monday? Did that apply for all workers on Sunday and Monday or just supermarkets?
Supermarket staff were not paid if they were rostered to work on the Sunday. Those SA employees simply lost that income for the week.
Then the ones rostered to work on the Monday had to work on their public holiday and have simply lost that time off.
That's not true Coles and Woolies have National EBAs. Relevant staff would of been renumerated well, according to what has been negotiated with unions and the companies in accordance to the EBA agreement.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#132 Post by bits » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:25 am


Verbatim9 wrote:That's not true Coles and Woolies have National EBAs. Relevant staff would of been renumerated well, according to what has been negotiated with unions and the companies in accordance to the EBA agreement.
Coles SA staff were forced to take annual leave, time in lieu or unpaid leave if they were rostered for the Sunday.
The Coles employees in other states were paid for the public holiday on Sunday.
This is because Easter Sunday is not a declared public holiday in SA unlike in the other states.
Queensland for example added Easter Sunday when they allowed Easter Monday trading.

Verbatim9
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#133 Post by Verbatim9 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:52 pm

bits wrote:
Verbatim9 wrote:That's not true Coles and Woolies have National EBAs. Relevant staff would of been renumerated well, according to what has been negotiated with unions and the companies in accordance to the EBA agreement.
Coles SA staff were forced to take annual leave, time in lieu or unpaid leave if they were rostered for the Sunday.
The Coles employees in other states were paid for the public holiday on Sunday.
This is because Easter Sunday is not a declared public holiday in SA unlike in the other states.
Queensland for example added Easter Sunday when they allowed Easter Monday trading.
^^ That makes sense you don't get paid Public Holiday Penalties if you don't go to work. Just regular leave pay. If stores were open in Adl on Easter Sunday they would of been paid Sunday rates while attending work. People who worked Monday would of been paid PH rates according to the EBA. Queensland has had Easter Monday Trading for a very long time and Easter Sunday as well in all areas except Brisbane Metropolitan and Gold Sunshine coast.

The change a couple of years ago allowed Easter Sunday Trading in BNE Gold and Sunshine Coast. They then made Easter Sunday a Public Holiday. The regional areas prior to that when open on Easter Sunday were still getting paid Sunday rates.

^^The only people getting ripped off here are consumers unable to shop at Coles or Woolies or other larger supermarkets on Easter Sunday in the Adl metropolitan areas.

**Except Rundle Mall and Grote street stores.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#134 Post by bits » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:29 am


Verbatim9 wrote:^^ That makes sense you don't get paid Public Holiday Penalties if you don't go to work. Just regular leave pay.

<..snip..>

**Except Rundle Mall and Grote street stores.
I never said people should get penalty rates, they should just get a regular steady pay week to week. Just like the other states have. SA is unique in workers being short changed for Easter Sunday.

Previously SA was different in several ways but the SA government is pushing for SA to follow other states for Easter trade, so let's do that and add Easter Sunday as an explicitly declared public holiday like the others.

PS Regional towns, like Victor Harbor and Murray Bridge, are also open most public holidays in SA. It is only the metro suburbs that are closed.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Neko Neko Peko Peko and 1 guest