News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Allkai
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#466 Post by Allkai » Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 am

Nathan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:18 pm
I think The Standard development is dead. Noticed some of the hoarding taken down yesterday, which put my hopes up that they were getting ready for construction, but it seems to have been scrubbed from the internet — the website now redirects to Arcadian Property with no mention of it anymore on their website, all social media promotion has been deleted, and the one remaining link on the Life More Interesting site leads to a 404.
Confirmed.

Off the plan purchasers are getting their deposits back in the next couple of days.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#467 Post by Nathan » Fri May 17, 2019 10:19 am

Allkai wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 am
Nathan wrote:
I think The Standard development is dead. Noticed some of the hoarding taken down yesterday, which put my hopes up that they were getting ready for construction, but it seems to have been scrubbed from the internet — the website now redirects to Arcadian Property with no mention of it anymore on their website, all social media promotion has been deleted, and the one remaining link on the Life More Interesting site leads to a 404.
Confirmed.

Off the plan purchasers are getting their deposits back in the next couple of days.
Are you aware of the reason? Just didn't sell enough?

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#468 Post by Allkai » Fri May 17, 2019 11:13 am

Nathan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:19 am
Allkai wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 am
Nathan wrote:
Confirmed.

Are you aware of the reason? Just didn't sell enough?
Assume so, although the "sales office talk" was that it was selling well, for what that's worth.

The numbers obviously couldn't be made to stack up, for some reason or another.

Llessur2002

#469 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 am

Not sure it's really part of the TOD but interestingly the warehouses owned by Raptis & Sons on the corner of Port Road and Gibson Street (i.e. opposite the Gov) are being demolished today.

Can't find any development applications for this site, but hopefully whatever ends up here won't have any negative impact on the Gov's live music.

I wonder if this will end up being used as an extension to Raptis' pay & display car park in the short-medium term...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#470 Post by rev » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 am
Not sure it's really part of the TOD but interestingly the warehouses owned by Raptis & Sons on the corner of Port Road and Gibson Street (i.e. opposite the Gov) are being demolished today.

Can't find any development applications for this site, but hopefully whatever ends up here won't have any negative impact on the Gov's live music.

I wonder if this will end up being used as an extension to Raptis' pay & display car park in the short-medium term...
With the proximity of the tram stop probably.
An office tower or two would be good on that corner.

EBG

#471 Post by EBG » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Update from 15/6/2019. This project actually comprise several building all with the common 2 story basement. most recent work has been at the eastern end ( nearest to Park Tce).
Attachments
20190615_BOWDEN 1.jpg
20190615_BOWDEN 2.jpg
20190615_BOWDEN 3.jpg

Nathan

#472 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 am

Plans have been lodged for a microbrewery, with restaurant and retail, for Plant 3. Happy days!

https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... uments.pdf

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#473 Post by Bob » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:00 pm

I was at Bowden the other weekend, and as I hadn't been there for quite a while, I was surprised how much vacant land is still yet to be redeveloped.

As Bowden has been earmarked as the preferred potential site for the Athletes Village should Adelaide bid & win the CW games, maybe that will fill in a big chunk of the vacant land?

Has anyone seen any concept plans for a potential athletes village there?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#474 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:06 pm

Bob wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:00 pm
I was at Bowden the other weekend, and as I hadn't been there for quite a while, I was surprised how much vacant land is still yet to be redeveloped.

As Bowden has been earmarked as the preferred potential site for the Athletes Village should Adelaide bid & win the CW games, maybe that will fill in a big chunk of the vacant land?

Has anyone seen any concept plans for a potential athletes village there?
I hadn't heard that Bowden was on the cards, but I'd find that disappointing if so. There's so much undeveloped land in the city that it'd be far more desirable to catalyse. Bowden doesn't need the spark; The Standard notwithstanding, it's been selling well and will continue to do so.

In the city, however, there's huge parcels of vacant land from long-failed developments around the Bus Station, on Gouger Street and on Sturt Street. Not to mention the soon to be vacated Wakefield St hospital and several Housing Trust townhouse groups around Carrington Street due for renewal (build apartments for athletes and afterwards transfer an increased portion to social housing). Equally, plenty of large sites in the west end of Currie & Hindley that could become a student village linked to UniSA post-games. Perhaps even two or more of the above. I'm not convinced of the need for a sole, consolidated village; our city is compact enough that the athletes can still experience games camaraderie and, ultimately, our investment needs to benefit the city longterm.
Keep Adelaide Weird

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#475 Post by how good is he » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:02 pm

I thought the current W&C hospital at North Adelaide was nominated as a potential site after they vacate.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#476 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:02 pm
I thought the current W&C hospital at North Adelaide was nominated as a potential site after they vacate.
That'd be a great site, but I'm not sure it'd meet the games schedule given the new W&C is unlikely to be complete before 2025. And hospital construction has a way of blowing out..
Keep Adelaide Weird

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#477 Post by Bob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:01 am

Bowden has been earmarked as a potential site for the Athletes Village.

But I am not sure if that was the Games Committee preference as they have had reps visit Adelaide twice in the past 6 months or so for feasibility tours, or if its the State Govts preference.

EBG

#478 Post by EBG » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:32 pm

The 6 story building at the eastern end (closest to the parklands) on the 354 site. pic 14/7/2019.
Attachments
20190714_123030354 bowden.jpg

EBG

#479 Post by EBG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:31 pm

Several other 5 and 6 story buildings have been built on the same site all sharing the same common 2 story basement. picture 9/11/2019. click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20191109_bowden.jpg

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#480 Post by d3v310per » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:11 pm

From AdelaideNow 9/1/2020

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 3e6cd83dc8

Two large concrete floor slabs weighing up to four tonnes collapsed at a high-rise construction site in Bowden within three months, sparking an urgent investigation by SA’s safety watchdog and construction union.

A whistleblower alerted The Advertiser to the collapses at the 354 Bowden site on the edge of Adelaide’s northwestern parklands because managers will not withdraw workers from the building.

A SafeWork SA spokeswoman said an investigation had begun at the site.

The CFMEU building workers union immediately dispatched inspectors to the site on Thursday and secretary Andrew Sutherland said it was likely workers would be withdrawn from sections of the building.

He said two floor collapse incidents had not been reported to the union before the whistleblower raised the alarm.

The developer for the site, Development and Advisory, said the issue was in hand and had been addressed by the builders.

But the anonymous caller told The Advertiser: “Some of us have family in there and they are shitting themselves that this will happen again and kill someone.’’

“All they have done is take the workers of the seventh floor where the collapse happened in mid-December and the fifth floor where there was the same collapse in mid-September,” the caller said.

“As the cause is currently unknown, the risks remains very real for workers on site and for tenants post construction completion, and transparency is required.’’

SafeWork SA has confirmed the authenticity of a photograph of the mid-December incident supplied to The Advertiser.

Mr Sutherland said there were concerns about the use of the floor sections.

“These are prefabricated sections which are brought in and they are cut in minor ways to fit, and it isn’t a product that I like personally,’’ he said

“It is the second deck collapse and there should be a halt to any of the work involving those floor sections.”

Governments are strengthening building standards in Australia after three buildings had to be evacuated in Sydney last year over structural issues.