News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4021 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:55 pm

Public consultation on relocating Tonsley Station has begun

Government workers wearing red hats — ironically the traditional colour of Labor — will be out on the streets this month fulfilling a State Government promise to consult on a major new railway station.

The views of commuters and the community will be canvassed on the location and design for the Tonsley Railway Station at Mitchell Park.

The current station is being repositioned as part of the $125 million Flinders Link project that will see a 650m extension of the Tonsley rail line to Flinders University and Medical Centre.

The project will involve the elevation of the train bridge to clear Sturt Rd and Main South Rd. Transport Minister Minister Stephan Knoll said the community consultation would take place in the coming weeks and months.

“It will involve direct communication as well as community events where locals can have their say,” he said

“There are a lot of technical and safety requirements that are involved with train station placement, so we will be consulting the experts too for that technical advice.”

Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure staff will be out and about until June 20 collating the views of those travelling the line.

Community workshops in the area are also being conducted to inform residents and gain feedback

Further submissions can be made online at to www.tonsleylinereview.com.au

Elder MP Carolyn Power said she was pleased that residents will now be able to have their say.

“Access to quality and efficient public transport is so important and I know many residents in Mitchell Park, Clovelly Park and Tonsley rely on the Tonsley Line as part of their everyday lives, she said.

The Flinders link plan also includes the creation of the new “Flinders Station”, on the southern corner of the university playing fields.

Consultation sites and dates:

Monday 3 June
7.00am - 8:45am Clovelly Park Station
11.00am - 12:30pm Flinders Medical Centre — Flinders Drive bus interchange zone A

Tuesday 4 June
7.00am - 8.30am Mitchell Park Station
11.00am - 12.30pm BT Finance/Westpac — Laffer Drive, Bedford Park

Wednesday 5 June
7.00am - 8.15am Tonsley Station
12:00pm - 1:30pm Tonsley Station

Thursday 6 June
7.00am - 8.25am Clovelly Park Station
11.00am - 12.30pm Marion Bus interchange — Sturt Road, Oaklands Park
1:30pm- 3.30pm Flinders University Bus interchange
6:30pm - 7:30pm MarionLIFE Community Meal

Friday 7 June
7.00am - 8.45am Mitchell Park Station

Monday 10 June
7.00am- 8.45am Tonsley Station

Saturday 15 June
8:30am - 12.30pm Mitchell Park Sports and Community Centre

Community Workshops Mitchell Park Sports and Community Centre, 5:45pm for 6pm — 7:30pm:

Thursday 13 June
Workshop 1: Key Issues for the Tonsley Line

Thursday 20 June
Workshop 2: Setting Community Priorities
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... c05e11d52c

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#4022 Post by ginzahikari » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Tonsley Station closing after last service on 28 June :|

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4023 Post by PD2/20 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:31 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:09 pm
Tonsley Station closing after last service on 28 June :|
Link to AdMet webpage https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... on-closing

PeFe

#4024 Post by PeFe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:15 pm

At least this means that Flinders Link construction is getting closer.....after all when the link was first announced it was due to be finished in 2019.....

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4025 Post by Spotto » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Upgrading Clovelly Park station and the Park'n'Ride probably would've been a smart thing to do before building the Flinders extension. Have a brand new, double track station closer to the Park'n'Ride ready to go for new terminating services. Treat it like a "Phase 1" of the extension project, then crews migrate to the Flinders extension for "Phase 2".

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4026 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:53 am

I don't think there will be a double track at Clovelly Park anymore, the existing setup seems to be good enough for DPTI.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4027 Post by Spotto » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 am

Norman wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:53 am
I don't think there will be a double track at Clovelly Park anymore, the existing setup seems to be good enough for DPTI.
I only say double track because that's what the most recent render proposal showed. But regardless, a new station on the other side of Alawoona Avenue is needed.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#4028 Post by mattwinter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 am
Norman wrote:
I only say double track because that's what the most recent render proposal showed. But regardless, a new station on the other side of Alawoona Avenue is needed.
Hopefully the passing loop near Alawoona Avenue will still be on the cards at some point... I expect after this review they'll announce a station rebuild at some point later this year or early next year and we'll get the details then.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4029 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Spotto wrote:
Norman wrote:
When you say "most recent", do you mean the original proposal from 4-6 years ago? That was superseded many times, and as far as I am aware there is no proposal to duplicate any more if the track. Apparently the existing alignment is sufficiently set up for a 15 minute frequency.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4030 Post by Spotto » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm
Spotto wrote:
Norman wrote:
When you say "most recent", do you mean the original proposal from 4-6 years ago? That was superseded many times, and as far as I am aware there is no proposal to duplicate any more if the track. Apparently the existing alignment is sufficiently set up for a 15 minute frequency.
Some pre-Flinders Link concept art for an upgraded Tonsley Line (Clovelly Park'n'Ride, Tonsley bus interchange in Laffer Triangle) featured an updated Clovelly Park station (same location) and a completely rebuilt Tonsley station (same location), both single platform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beWhNlVPUfI&t=54s

I recalled seeing concept art leading up to the March 2018 state election of Clovelly Park station with double track and side platforms. The image below is what I recall seeing, and the only other place I could find such an image was a news update from DPTI: https://dpti.sa.gov.au/m/newconnections/news?a=142342. I do accept the image may have just been a re-release of old concepts though...

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#4031 Post by OlympusAnt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:18 pm

The Tonsley line doesn't need to be double track. What's the point of duplicating a line that not many people use anyway. Just cause a few gunzels said its a good idea?

The money is better spent upgrading stations and working on other busier lines.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Patrick_27

#4032 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:58 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:18 pm
The Tonsley line doesn't need to be double track. What's the point of duplicating a line that not many people use anyway. Just cause a few gunzels said its a good idea?

The money is better spent upgrading stations and working on other busier lines.
Well that's the idea of extending it, mate, so that more people use it...

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4033 Post by Eurostar » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:12 am

Tonsley area is growing in population, Flinders University area is growing in population. A single track terminus is not smart , it needs to be a double track branchline and terminus to cater for any breakdowns, late running and more train services. I am and South Australians are fed up with infrastructure not being built properly i.e Oaklands Station and then it has to be fixed up, by the way grade separation was demanded by voters ages ago. Noarlunga Line was closed for many months to upgrade track and install poles and wires for electrification in that time grade separation should of been done at Oaklands, Hove/Brighton and Woodlands Park.

In my opinion the Government should build a multilevel carpark near the new Flinders Station because i think it will encourage people to park and catch the train to the City to reduce congestion on South Road and Goodwood Road.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4034 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:55 am

Here's a new render I found on the DPTI website

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4035 Post by Spotto » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:12 am
In my opinion the Government should build a multilevel carpark near the new Flinders Station because i think it will encourage people to park and catch the train to the City to reduce congestion on South Road and Goodwood Road.
I personally think Clovelly Park station should be the one focused on as a Park'n'Ride (as it is now), while Flinders station should instead be served with better bus transport links. Flinders station isn't really in a good location to be used as a Park'n'Ride, any parking around Flinders station should primarily be for the Flinders Village residents and uni students; can be built as an underground carpark beneath the village development.