News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#451 Post by SRW » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:19 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:34 pm
Short article about the potential machinations of the Crows takeover of the aquatic centre: https://www.adelaidereview.com.au/featu ... Newsletter

Tbh, if it's fait accompli that the Crows will get their hands on some parklands, I'd rather the aquatic centre be returned to public space and the Crows given lease over an area that's more conveniently/centrally located so that it can better benefit the surrounding area/businesses. I mentioned 88 O'Connell already, but alternatively the space next Morphett Street bridge/railyards could suffice -- especially if a FINA-compliant aquatic centre was part of the proposal (unlikely, but they are getting $15 million federal money plus free land, so it's a fair demand). As a runner up, the corner of O'Connel & Barton Tce to contribute to North Adelaide's Main Street and interconnect with the potential ProspectLINK.
Guess I can scrap the O'Connell/Barton corner idea: I didn't realise the SA Water facility there is actually an heritage-listed underground reservoir from 1879, so unlikely that space could ever be interfered with or occupied. Looks cool though.
nasr.jpg
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#452 Post by Waewick » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:49 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:The Crows can and should stay at West Lakes.

I am not willing to see my tax money prop up a new headquarters for a franchise that makes close to $50 million a year in turnover.
I don't think they can, that's now the point.

I'm not sure this is the greatest idea, but let's see the plan before we start getting worked up on these things.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#453 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:16 am

SRW wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:34 pm
Short article about the potential machinations of the Crows takeover of the aquatic centre: https://www.adelaidereview.com.au/featu ... Newsletter

Tbh, if it's fait accompli that the Crows will get their hands on some parklands, I'd rather the aquatic centre be returned to public space and the Crows given lease over an area that's more conveniently/centrally located so that it can better benefit the surrounding area/businesses. I mentioned 88 O'Connell already, but alternatively the space next Morphett Street bridge/railyards could suffice -- especially if a FINA-compliant aquatic centre was part of the proposal (unlikely, but they are getting $15 million federal money plus free land, so it's a fair demand). As a runner up, the corner of O'Connel & Barton Tce to contribute to North Adelaide's Main Street and interconnect with the potential ProspectLINK.
The space next to the railyards won't suffice though, because they need at least one attached training ground of MCG proportions (in terms of playing area), and there's no room for it there.

ChillyPhilly

#454 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:23 pm

It's official, Crows are getting the Aquatic Centre - with government assistance. Yuck.

Thanks for the childhood memories!
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#455 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:07 pm

So a private professional sports team that makes multi-million dollar profits, is given parklands, more money, and a community facility. Fuck this shit.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#456 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:55 pm

Nathan wrote:So a private professional sports team that makes multi-million dollar profits, is given parklands, more money, and a community facility. Fuck this shit.
Apparently a completely new facility will be built and some sections will be open to the public. Let's just wait and see what the details are.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#457 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:54 am

A net gain to open space (as in, parklands restoration) as well as full community access would make this tolerable. You'd presume it wouldn't need to be anywhere near as large without the full competitive swimming set up. Car parking can go underground or not at all -- public transport options (including potential ProspectLINK) make it wholly unnecessary.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#458 Post by Norman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 am

The car parks at the existing facility are well used, there will definitely be car parking at this new facility. Public transport to the area is not great.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#459 Post by Pistol » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:40 am

SRW wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:54 am
A net gain to open space (as in, parklands restoration) as well as full community access would make this tolerable. You'd presume it wouldn't need to be anywhere near as large without the full competitive swimming set up. Car parking can go underground or not at all -- public transport options (including potential ProspectLINK) make it wholly unnecessary.
Oh My God, you don't expect AFL players to have to catch public transport do you?
They are a rare and protected species - they will have undercover parking so their Range Rover's don't get dirty.

What a joke!
Where is the Parklands Preservation Society now?
Probably been given corporate tickets to the football to shut them up!

I hate this state sometimes, everything is about football.
Who gives a shit? They kick a piece of kangaroo leather around ffs!!!
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#460 Post by Mpol03 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:54 am

:wallbash:

Waewick

#461 Post by Waewick » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Came for the melts, not disappointed.

How about we act like adults and wait to see the details before having a cry.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#462 Post by OlympusAnt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Its just Rads, people don't like "progress"
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Waewick

#463 Post by Waewick » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:47 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:Its just Rads, people don't like "progress"
I think a lot of people would rather see nothing, than someone else getting a benefit.

This could be a win for all parties, but most on here seem to be not keen on AFC benefiting from the $60m they ate going to being to the table. Government grant or not.

There will be benefit to community and to the ACC i am 100% certain.

But still, if the plans don't show that, then we are entitled (well ACC ratepayers) to complain.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#464 Post by SRW » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:47 pm
I think a lot of people would rather see nothing, than someone else getting a benefit.

This could be a win for all parties, but most on here seem to be not keen on AFC benefiting from the $60m they ate going to being to the table. Government grant or not.

But still, if the plans don't show that, then we are entitled (well ACC ratepayers) to complain.
Well, as a city resident, that's my threshold. I'm open to it supposing a net benefit to parklands and community. But I think where people get put off is the increasing treatment (especially over the last 10 years or so, but broadly since ASER of the 80s) of the parklands as 'free land' -- or at least the view that granting leasehold over public land to private corporations endorses such a principle. The parklands haven't survived mostly unviolated by development for 183 years by people leaving that unchallenged (that's right, there were preservationists even back in the 19th century). So I think it's a fair and natural part of our democracy that the community negotiates opposing views as they arise. Let the record spin.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#465 Post by Waewick » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:08 pm

SRW wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:47 pm

Well, as a city resident, that's my threshold. I'm open to it supposing a net benefit to parklands and community. But I think where people get put off is the increasing treatment (especially over the last 10 years or so, but broadly since ASER of the 80s) of the parklands as 'free land' -- or at least the view that granting leasehold over public land to private corporations endorses such a principle. The parklands haven't survived mostly unviolated by development for 183 years by people leaving that unchallenged (that's right, there were preservationists even back in the 19th century). So I think it's a fair and natural part of our democracy that the community negotiates opposing views as they arise. Let the record spin.
100% agree, it shouldn't be free land and we need to protect whats left.

I'm still curious to see what such a huge investment could do for that already developed area.