Redesigned Bus Routes Post-Flinders Extension

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Westside
High Rise Poster!

Redesigned Bus Routes Post-Flinders Extension

#1 Post by Westside » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 pm

I thought I'd start a thread for the budding designers on here to share their thoughts on the updated southern bus routes once the new Flinders Interchange is completed. My suspicion is that very little, if anything, will change. But my hope is the southern routes all become feeders into a high-frequency Flinders train line. I think you can easily create a few extra Go Zones to give a much needed boost to outer suburbs services, from the time savings removing express routes travelling down South and Goodwood Rds. I'm not sure of the viability of regular route on the Southern Expressway, but that does avoid the double transfer and this is a vision's thread, right?!

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Sir Donald Bradman Dr/South Rd Go Zone
720 – now via Flinders Interchange. 720H removed
729 – Previous 719, now via South Rd and Sir Donald Bradman, not Anzac Hwy

Main South Rd/Southern Expressway Go Zone
731 – Marion SC to Noarlunga Ctr via Sturt Rd, Flinders Interchange, SExy, Panalatinga Rd, Old Reynella, Main St Rd, then old 721
T721 – Reduced schedule, not stopping at Panalatinga PnR or Old Reynella
N711 – Current N721
711 – Night and weekend service. 731 via Main South Rd, not SExy
736 – Marion SC to Noarlunga Ctr via Sturt Rd, Flinders Interchange, SExy, Panalatinga Rd, Old Reynella, Main Sth Rd, Doctors Rd, Collins Pde then old 743/4.
716 – Night and weekend service. 736 via Main South Rd not SExy

Main South Rd/Old South Rd Go Zone
712 – Flinders University to Noarlunga Ctr via University Dr, Flinders Interchange, Main South Rd, Old South Rd, Old Reynella, Panalatinga Rd, then old 722 to Penneys Hill Rd, then Main Sth Rd, Glynville, Majorca, Beach Rd, Elizabeth Rd and Colonnades.
702 – Night and weekend service. 712 via Bluehills and Tripoli Rds not Main South Rd.
T722 – Reduced schedule. Now via Old Sth Rd between Old Reynella and Panalatinga PnR
715 – Flinders University to Noarlunga Ctr via University Dr, Flinders Interchange, Main South Rd, Old South Rd, Old Reynella then old 725. Nights and weekend terminate at Old Reynella.
Main South Rd Go Zone maintained at night with 731/736

Bluehills Rd Go Zone
703 – Flinders MC to Noarlunga Ctr via Flinders Dr, Sturt Rd, Flinders Interchange, Main South Rd, then old 733 to Kenihans Rd, then Chandlers Hill Rd, Glenloth Dr, then old 733.
703X – Express between Flinders Interchange to Kenihans Rd via SExy and Panalatinga PnR
704 – Flinders MC to Noarlunga Ctr via Flinders Dr, Sturt Rd, Flinders Interchange, Main South Rd, then old 733 to Tripoli Rd, then Braeside, Malbeck, Old Reynella, Concord Dr then old 734. Nights and weekend terminate at Old Reynella.

Flagstaff Rd, Black Rd Go Zone
320 – Full 7 day service
321 – Marion SC to Aberfoyle Hub via Sturt Rd, Flinders Interchange, then old G21
322X – Flinders Interchange to Aberfoyle Hub via old G22X
327 – Marion SC to Chandlers Hill via 320 then old 737

Other changes
T721X – removed
737 – removed
743/744 - removed
G40 – reduced service
682 – detour via Adams Rd to Whitely Dr

Network Map

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Redesigned Bus Routes Post-Flinders Extension

#2 Post by Aidan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm

The Flinders Extension of the Tonsley Line is not a certainty — the SCAP deferred making a decision as they tound the information DPTI had supplied was inadequate. I'm still hoping they straighten the line and locate the station above Flinders Drive instead, as that would enable it to be extended further south. A rail extension to the Old Reynella bus interchange would enable far greater bus network improvements than just to Flinders, and also provides the opportunity for s further rail extension to Hackham.

Anyway, regarding your ideas:
What DPTI are planning is not an adequate substitute for bus services to the City.
It would be better if you explained your reasoning for each route.
Rather than trying to make Go Zones out of long sections of concurrent routes (which can lead to erratic service) it's better to try to avoid those, and upgrade individual routes to Go Zone frequency.

The 734 was diverted through Sheidow Park to replace the 680. Making the 682 even more indirect is not an adequate substitute.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#3 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Why remove T721 from visiting Old Reynella Int? this is where the majority of passengers actually get on the bus...
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Eurostar » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:46 pm

702/712 has many right turns i.e Glynville onto Main South Road or Molbeck onto Beach Road that would be a slow turn during morning peak or arvo peak.

In my opinion the full 721 route should run at least every 15-20 minutes during the day on weekdays. Outside peak 720 should be a feeder (as 680) only running between Hallett Cove (Perry Barr Road) and Old Reynella. 722 should be a feeder (detouring via Woodcroft Centre) most times except peak. 723 feeder most times. During peak you can still have 721X, 722X, 723, 725 and 726 (Panalatinga Park N Ride to Hackham via Panalatinga Road, Bains Road and States Road).

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Westside » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Yeah, the 702 could do with a few intersection upgrades to traffic lights to be viable. Potentially, you could just have the 702 run the current 722 and route the 726 to cover the 743/4 route from Majorca all the way around...

I guess in response to the rationale behind the changes. The idea is to push all of these routes as direct feeders to the new Flinders station. There are currently 6 routes that converge around Old Reynella, and continue to the city and Marion. By combining these into 3 GoZones, you increase transparency of combined high-frequency routes without actually increasing frequency - apart from increasing along Main South Road to Beach Rd, which sorely needs a frequency upgrade.

Unfortunately if you have a transfer point at Flinders then ideally you wouldn't have another at Old Reynella as well, so all terminating services have to be run all the way to Flinders. This is where using the SE Expressway at all times during the day comes in. Passengers should be ok with changing modes once, but twice is getting far too detrimental.

This plan does remove the 734 from Sheidow Park, but it should allow for a frequency increase on the 682 which will allow for more interchanges with the 720 for transfers to Marion and Flinders. Trying to remove the current 743/744 was another aim, to provide these routes a full time service and direct access to Marion/Flinders. The only other major change was removing the 727 between Happy Valley and Old Reynella, but this was underutilised anyway. Creating a direct service down Flagstaff Hill Rd will be a huge improvement for this service.

Oh, removing T721 from Old Reynella means it can take the express route of Main South Rd - it is meant to replace the T721X. All 721s will take the expressway, so will have an express journey anyway.