[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3841 Post by Spotto » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:06 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 pm
Screenshot from a friend's short video.

Looks like they are only a few weeks away from the next traffic switch, which my guess is going to start the expressway, southbound, from just after ailyffes road. It initially travels on the the left side of the trench before shifting to the right (wrong) side of the trench before the section of collapsed wall.

It may even have the exit onto south road, so that southbound traffic to flagstaff hill etc hops on the expressway before hopping off again. This would free up some lanes above the collapsed wall so they could conceivably reduce that section to two lanes.
Looks like it’ll be the latter: all southbound traffic diverted into the trench allowing for repairs, while the current southbound surface road between Sturt and Flinders will be reduced to allow repairs.

The way those lines are painted, northbound SEXY traffic will be in the trench too.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3842 Post by muzzamo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Looks like it’ll be the latter: all southbound traffic diverted into the trench allowing for repairs, while the current southbound surface road between Sturt and Flinders will be reduced to allow repairs.

The way those lines are painted, northbound SEXY traffic will be in the trench too.
Either that or flagstaff hill southbound traffic is funnelled into one of those lane pairings at the same time that expressway southbound traffic is funnelled Into the other pairing.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#3843 Post by kymbosa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:53 am

muzzamo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:41 pm
Spotto wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Either that or flagstaff hill southbound traffic is funnelled into one of those lane pairings at the same time that expressway southbound traffic is funnelled Into the other pairing.
There are markings on the second bridge now too, which means they might divert traffic from South Road to the lower deck.

It’s an interesting way they have marked the road.

Went past last night and a lot of movement with barriers again and line marking. Might be an interesting drive in a couple of hours to work.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#3844 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:12 am

Are those lanes temporary or the final thing?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3845 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:07 am

Fairly sure they are temporary.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3846 Post by aceman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:12 am
Are those lanes temporary or the final thing?
they are only going to be using one side of the lowered motorway for two lanes travelling in each direction. that way they can continue working on the collapsed section.

if u look closely at the two photos the one on the left is sturt rd and the one on the right is flinders drive. all 4 marked lanes are on the western side while they are still working on the eastern side.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3847 Post by rev » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Screenshot_20190705-174205_Gallery.jpg
Pym street/South road

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3848 Post by aceman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:06 pm

drove through there today rev and I reckon they have demoed more than 50% on the eastern side. won't be that long until it's all cleared.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3849 Post by how good is he » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am

The Advertiser on the weekend identified about 10 heritage buildings that may need to go for the open cut widening for the final 10.5km of South Rd (similar to what has happened so far). It’s still all being scoped/assessed but it was interesting that even a heritage listing won’t necessarily save the resumption of a property. Which way do you think the Govt will go - tunnel or open shaft?

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3850 Post by Saltwater » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:52 am

The advertiser article was Clickbait and didn't bring in any new arguments. It was written only to draw people into the emotion of losing potentially historically significant buildings, with speculation about the likely outcomes - which the articile even admitted could include tunnel options - once the decision is made.

I've got a house at Mile End close to South Road so follow this very closely. Obviously I'd prefer tunnels, even cut & cover if it helps minimise disruption. Its a unique part of town, and I do hope the State and Federal Libs can work together to deliver this section sooner rather than later.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3851 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:52 am
The advertiser article was Clickbait and didn't bring in any new arguments. It was written only to draw people into the emotion of losing potentially historically significant buildings, with speculation about the likely outcomes - which the articile even admitted could include tunnel options - once the decision is made.

I've got a house at Mile End close to South Road so follow this very closely. Obviously I'd prefer tunnels, even cut & cover if it helps minimise disruption. Its a unique part of town, and I do hope the State and Federal Libs can work together to deliver this section sooner rather than later.
Even Tom Koutsantonis seemed to just be NIMBY and “Liberal has had two years but haven’t fixed it yet” without offering an alternate solution. I thought there had been a master plan five years ago with a combination of overhead (like the superway) and cut-and-cover that protected the heritage buildings.

ChillyPhilly

#3852 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

The plan for the final stretch is as follows:

- new elevated structure over the Torrens
- trench between the above and ANZAC Highway, with short tunnels at Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive
- elevated structure in Edwardstown.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#3853 Post by Nort » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:33 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

- trench between the above and ANZAC Highway, with short tunnels at Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive
That sounds like a decent solution, do you have a source for it?

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3854 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Nort wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

That sounds like a decent solution, do you have a source for it?
It's in the Scoping Report. Whether this remains the plan, is another story.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3855 Post by Saltwater » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:09 pm

Interestingly the Scoping Report is no longer available, at least at the link it used to live.

What stood out more than anything in the report was the "two short tunnels" between HBR and SDBD. Its less than a kilometer between them so they will either be really short tunnels with a cut-and-cover section between them, or an extended tunnel along the whole length (with issues of ventilation that entails). Given how close the area is to the CBD and parklands, I think it is extremely unlikely they would go for an elevated motorway option. Among other things it would ruin the line of sight from the CBD to the beach. Even an at-grade motorway presents challenges, so worst case I'd suggest we are looking at a cut & tunnel tunnel or trench, or best case tunnel through the heritage areas of Thebarton & Mile End.