[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3901 Post by SBD » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:24 pm

The 2015 scoping study proposed an elevated structure from north of Edward Street to South of Daws Road. It doesn't seem to be explicit about how far north of Edward Street, and doesn't clearly articulate a preferred plan between that structure and Anzac Highway (including Emerson Crossing). The rationale includes contaminated industrial soil, east-west movements across the corridor, and shallow groundwater leading to ongoing maintenance.

I imagine an elevated structure would give nice skyline views of the city centre.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] North-South Motorway

#3902 Post by Vasco » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 pm

SBD wrote:The 2015 scoping study proposed an elevated structure from north of Edward Street to South of Daws Road. It doesn't seem to be explicit about how far north of Edward Street, and doesn't clearly articulate a preferred plan between that structure and Anzac Highway (including Emerson Crossing). The rationale includes contaminated industrial soil, east-west movements across the corridor, and shallow groundwater leading to ongoing maintenance.

I imagine an elevated structure would give nice skyline views of the city centre.

I also imagine a continuous elevated structure (particularly of the size/scale of Superway) would be very unwelcome in the minds of the residents on either side of south road. Business’ on at least one side would still need to be acquired, further exposing the road closer to housing.

The local Liberal member for Elder, Carolyn Habib would lose her seat in a heart beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [U/C] North-South Motorway

#3903 Post by Waewick » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Vasco wrote:
SBD wrote:The 2015 scoping study proposed an elevated structure from north of Edward Street to South of Daws Road. It doesn't seem to be explicit about how far north of Edward Street, and doesn't clearly articulate a preferred plan between that structure and Anzac Highway (including Emerson Crossing). The rationale includes contaminated industrial soil, east-west movements across the corridor, and shallow groundwater leading to ongoing maintenance.

I also imagine a continuous elevated structure (particularly of the size/scale of Superway) would be very unwelcome in the minds of the residents on either side of south road. Business’ on at least one side would still need to be acquired, further exposing the road closer to housing.

The local Liberal member for Elder, Carolyn Habib would lose her seat in a heart beat.

Why?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: [U/C] North-South Motorway

#3904 Post by rev » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Waewick wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 pm
Vasco wrote:

Why?
There's not enough room for a Superway style elevated motorway. And even if there was, the area isn't heavily industrial well beyond South Road so it would impact on residential properties. An elevated motorway isn't ideal therefore in that area. That's why I believe they'll do a trench that connects to Darlington. Again, just my opinion.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3905 Post by Eurostar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:42 am

Whilst the motorway tunnel is being built i can imagine the A21 (Port Road) and James Congdon Drive will be used as a detour for many drivers.

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3906 Post by croweater888 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Last edited by croweater888 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3907 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:53 pm

croweater888 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 pm
New Darlington video released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOYD5EBRJ0U

Thanks for that - looks like a pretty substantial immediate improvement for users of this stretch of road.
Southbound
- the expressway now will effectively start at Ayliffes road and use the trench from there.
Northbound
- the expressway effectively ends where it currently does, If your destination is South Road.
- the expressway effectively now ends at Ayliffes road, if your destination is Ayliffes road and uses the trench.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#3908 Post by kymbosa » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:42 pm

And the map version;
5512B6D1-4B13-4E6B-8E26-FF8017FAA422.jpeg

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3909 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 pm

And what will the speed limit be on the Southern Expressway extension?

SBD

#3910 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 pm
And what will the speed limit be on the Southern Expressway extension?
I'd guess it might still be 60 km/h as it's a temporary solution and a work zone, due to the work on the eastern retaining wall. New asphalt tends to be restricted to that speed for a few weeks quite often anyway.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#3911 Post by phenom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:34 pm

croweater888 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 pm
New Darlington video released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOYD5EBRJ0U (deleted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5D2ME7ZKzw (updated link)
Thanks for the update - I sent the original link to some people to view and noticed it had gone. From looking at the update, they fixed the bit at around 1:58 where in the original it 'merged' the red and blue line for no reason into one lane then back into two as it went under the bridge. I'm not keen on the way they regularly delete videos without explanation!

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#3912 Post by kymbosa » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:26 pm

And it’s still not open.... 5am Saturday morning... 🤦‍♂️

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3913 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:50 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:26 pm
And it’s still not open.... 5am Saturday morning... 🤦‍♂️
The DPTI flyerhttps://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... 19_PDF.pdf has the heading "Major traffic switch 20–22 July" and contains the statement
DPTI wrote:The Darlington Upgrade Project is being constructed in stages to ensure traffic continues to flow efficiently through this important section of the North-South Corridor.

To enable works to progress to completion, several major traffic switches need to occuron Main South Road between the Southern Expressway and Ayliffes Road. They will involve traffic being moved progressively into the lowered motorway and onto the new Main South Road bridge to the lowered motorway and the Ayliffes Road bridge.

Works to implement the first of these major switches will commence at 5am Saturday 20 July.
This seems to imply that the switch described in the flyer will be implemented over several days.

At 1630 this afternoon none of the lowered section seemed to be in use. All traffic southbound from Ayliffes/South Rd was still on the surface road and from Main South Rd northbound the second bridge over the expressway on to the lowered section was not open. On South Rd southbound before Ayliffes Rd a gantry complete with brackets but as yet no signs is in place.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#3914 Post by Tonsley213 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:09 pm

At 4:45pm the motorway was opened for southbound, northbound followed shortly after. It’s a very pretty motorway. Far nicer than T2T

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3915 Post by aceman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 pm

so it's two lanes in each direction on the western side of the lowered motorway?