News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4231 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 am

Who is responsible for the new real time arrivals screens for the tram stops? They're absolutely fucking terrible.

They're mounted on top of the shelters, at the ends, facing out. You can't see the screens if you're standing on the platform, nor if you're waiting on the footpath waiting to cross to it. Why on earth are they not mounted under the shelter halfway along, or embedded in the shelter pylons similar to the ones embedded in the bus signs? This asinine setup is probably also why they're not putting them on any of the new split platform stops.

IMG_0544.jpg

[Shuz]

#4232 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Another fail brought to you by the Department of Incompetence.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4233 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 am
Who is responsible for the new real time arrivals screens for the tram stops? They're absolutely fucking terrible.

They're mounted on top of the shelters, at the ends, facing out. You can't see the screens if you're standing on the platform, nor if you're waiting on the footpath waiting to cross to it. Why on earth are they not mounted under the shelter halfway along, or embedded in the shelter pylons similar to the ones embedded in the bus signs? This asinine setup is probably also why they're not putting them on any of the new split platform stops.

IMG_0544.jpg
I... I can't believe this is actually a thing. This is incredibly daft. It looks absolutely terrible and terribly useless.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#4234 Post by Westside » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Yet the vending machine is centrally located under the shelter... :roll:

claybro

#4235 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 pm

At least when you are standing on the tracks to read it, you will know in real time if you are about to be run over. 😉

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#4236 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:49 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:56 pm
Beyond fare hikes, privatisation and park-and-rides, it appears the Liberals have no plans for public transport infrastructure in this term with the possible exception of an O-Bahn 'extension' to Golden Grove (Gawler electrification is an ongoing project and doesn't count). Also no sign of them commencing investigations into an underground rail loop as promised before the election.
It's almost like public transport existing at all is fundamentally incompatible with the Libs world view

metro
Legendary Member!

#4237 Post by metro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 pm
At least when you are standing on the tracks to read it, you will know in real time if you are about to be run over. 😉
Reminds me of back in 2008 they installed those dot-matrix info screens at some train stations, CityRail in Sydney had them since the late 80s-early 90s and were phasing them out around the late 2000s, just as Adelaide was bringing them in. But they didn't last long at Mawson Lks and Oaklands, both were replaced around 2012 for the current blue info screeens.

I remember those old dot-matrix screens were first installed so they could be read from along the length of the platform, but at some point they got turned 90 degrees so they could only be read if you stood on the edge of the platform. :?

Last one I saw was at Woodville, I think they might still be at Glanville as well, both are/were pointing towards the edge of the platform.

It is pretty funny how every other city just gets these little things right, but in Adelaide the Department manages to cock up the basics so badly..

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4238 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:29 pm

metro wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 pm
claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 pm
Reminds me of back in 2008 they installed those dot-matrix info screens at some train stations, CityRail in Sydney had them since the late 80s-early 90s and were phasing them out around the late 2000s, just as Adelaide was bringing them in. But they didn't last long at Mawson Lks and Oaklands, both were replaced around 2012 for the current blue info screeens.

I remember those old dot-matrix screens were first installed so they could be read from along the length of the platform, but at some point they got turned 90 degrees so they could only be read if you stood on the edge of the platform. :?

Last one I saw was at Woodville, I think they might still be at Glanville as well, both are/were pointing towards the edge of the platform.

It is pretty funny how every other city just gets these little things right, but in Adelaide the Department manages to cock up the basics so badly..
And if the dot matrix screens were exposed to sunlight or heatwave they either didnt work, were hard to see

[Shuz]

#4239 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 am

Smithfield has the dot matrix screens as well.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4240 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:20 pm

I was expecting the tram stop screens to be like Melbourne's. Smaller and mounted in the centre of the platform under the shelters.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4241 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:18 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:49 pm
SRW wrote:
Beyond fare hikes, privatisation and park-and-rides, it appears the Liberals have no plans for public transport infrastructure in this term with the possible exception of an O-Bahn 'extension' to Golden Grove (Gawler electrification is an ongoing project and doesn't count). Also no sign of them commencing investigations into an underground rail loop as promised before the election.
It's almost like public transport existing at all is fundamentally incompatible with the Libs world view
Not that it's a surprise if we revisit the way public transport was run down during their last time at the wheel 1993-2002.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4242 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:18 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
SRW wrote:
Not that it's a surprise if we revisit the way public transport was run down during their last time at the wheel 1993-2002.
Knoll is giving Laidlaw a run for their money in the 'Worst Transport Minister Ever' stakes

claybro

#4243 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:05 pm

SRW wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:
SRW wrote:
A bit harsh. Wasn't it that government that finally retired the "red hens" and completed the 3000 series rollout? And there were more suburban rail closures during the Dunstan era than any since.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4244 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:54 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:05 pm
SRW wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:

A bit harsh. Wasn't it that government that finally retired the "red hens" and completed the 3000 series rollout? And there were more suburban rail closures during the Dunstan era than any since.
No, I think pretty mild if anything.

And, though I'm not interested in traipsing too far back in history, I'm not sure that's true regarding metro rail and Dunstan. That government twice extended the southern line. From memory, most closures and dismantlements occurred through the 80s and early 90s across the Tonkin, Bannon, Arnold and Brown governments - which, fair enough, includes Labor but also unsurprisingly coincides with the peak of the motor industry and expansion of the bus network. The Liberals not tearing up the 3000 series contract doesn't really add to their public transport credentials.
Keep Adelaide Weird

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#4245 Post by aceman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:04 pm

does anyone know if there are any plans to grade separate the tram line over marion road?