Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Message
Author
User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2301
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3001 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Bob wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 am
So, based on your logic Adelaide Oval should be twice the capacity it is today? In 1965 over 62K turned up for a football match at AO when the population was 700K, or in 1976 over 66K turned up for a football match at FP West Lakes when the population was 930,000. I should rephrase that - only 66K got in, there up to another 10K outside who had the gates shut on them and couldn’t get in. Since AO redevelopment one football match squeezed in over 54K when the population was 1,350,000. And afterwards there were complaints about the viewing restrictions, if you search through the newspapers articles you will find reference to this. No relationship between population and football match attendances in those examples.

Or we could look at it in reverse, was MCG capacity overbuilt, when they fitted in 120,000 for the 1970 VFL GF when their population was 2,500,000 or was it under built because today in a redeveloped configuration the MCG capacity is only 100,000 for a city with a population approaching 5M? Except today everyone in the MCG gets a seat.

So, is Adelaide Oval underbuilt or overbuilt? Well football matches are one thing but to become relevant in the new world international events must be attracted and on a regular basis. Inflows of international $$$ are mandatory to ensure taxpayer $$$ for AO redevelopment are made worthwhile. International corporations and spectators expect comfort, that you must provide for, or miss out.

Meanwhile as we continue to trash this out on here, Perth last night hosted Aus v NZ Rugby where every seat in Optus Stadium was sold out. Thousands of NZ fans travelled to Perth – Optus Stadium is doing far more for WA tourism than AO is for SA tourism. Do you want that trend to continue or start getting a bigger slice of the pie?

Too many here is SA still think AO is for the extended suburban football competition and going to the hill is just an expansion of going to stand at Norwood Oval or similar, the SMA would know what they need to do about it in the medium term – getting the CW games and funding to finish AO with a northern stand and give everyone a seat would be a big step in the right direction and put the final jigsaw piece in place for AO once and for all.
Just a quick remark. The Commonwealth Games will only attract people from a limited number of countries. Most of these know about Australia and perhaps to a lesser degree Adelaide. What we want are international events on a continuous basis that will attract people from all over the world. These don't have to be all specifically aimed at the Adelaide Oval. The Olympic Games, FIFA World Cup, University Games or a World Championship would give us the widest possible exposure. Adelaide should be thinking big. We did it for a decade with the FIA Formula One Championship, and successfully too, so why not do something on that scale again, we have the know how?

As for the northern stand in a few years the Moreton Bay Figs will be dead. They should be thinking about a new stand right now instead of the hotel. All they have to do is replicate the Southern Stand (even though I think it is one the worst stands around), but at least it will make the oval look good until in future they rebuild the Western Stand with the same design as the Eastern Stand. Then Adelaide Oval at least in looks will be the best in the country.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:21 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3002 Post by andynguyen » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 pm
Just a quick remark. The Commonwealth Games will only attract people from a limited number of countries. Most of these know about Australia and perhaps to a lesser degree Adelaide. What we want are international events on a continuous basis that will attract people from all over the world. These don't have to be all specifically aimed at the Adelaide Oval. The Olympic Games, FIFA World Cup, University Games or a World Championship would give us the widest possible exposure. Adelaide should be thinking big. We did it for a decade with the FIA Formula One Championship, and successfully too, so why not do something on that scale again, we have the know how?
I totally agree! Anything that showcases Adelaide to the whole world would be a huge plus to South Australia's economy, tourism, jobs and social wellbeing! Particularly when we are able to attract visitors and new residents from countries such as China, the US and a number of European countries!

In particular, if Australia chooses 2036 as the year they want the Olympic Games, then ADELAIDE should be the bid city, as 2036 is South Australia's 200th anniversary! Adelaide could also benefit by participating in future Australian bids for the FIFA World Cup and Rugby World Cup, as well as bidding for world championships in aquatics and cycling, which could prepare Adelaide well for a possible Olympic Games bid. I'd also love to see the F1 return to South Australia, using the Adelaide Street Circuit or the newly opened The Bend Motorsport Park, as well as international golf tournaments at an upgraded North Adelaide Golf Course!

It's a shame we didn't have the adequate facilities for a FIFA Women's World Cup bid, maybe the government should use this as an opportunity to develop a 30,000 seat rectangular stadium (with the room to expand to 40,000 if need be), at or near the existing site of SA Athletics Stadium, connected by a new suburban train station at Keswick as part of a future Adelaide underground rail.
Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 pm
As for the northern stand in a few years the Moreton Bay Figs will be dead. They should be thinking about a new stand right now instead of the hotel. All they have to do is replicate the Southern Stand (even though I think it is one the worst stands around), but at least it will make the oval look good until in future they rebuild the Western Stand with the same design as the Eastern Stand. Then Adelaide Oval at least in looks will be the best in the country.

Cheers
I agree with the expansion of the Western Stand, if that happens I think it would bump up capacity to 60,000 people, meaning more sports and concert fans have the opportunity to attend events at Adelaide Oval and cheaper ticket prices. I don't think the Moreton Bay Figs will be dead in the foreseeable future - that, along with the old scoreboard, are something that distinguishes Adelaide Oval from many stadiums across the globe, and those two significant features should be protected!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3003 Post by rev » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 pm
Just a quick remark. The Commonwealth Games will only attract people from a limited number of countries. Most of these know about Australia and perhaps to a lesser degree Adelaide. What we want are international events on a continuous basis that will attract people from all over the world. These don't have to be all specifically aimed at the Adelaide Oval. The Olympic Games, FIFA World Cup, University Games or a World Championship would give us the widest possible exposure. Adelaide should be thinking big. We did it for a decade with the FIA Formula One Championship, and successfully too, so why not do something on that scale again, we have the know how?

As for the northern stand in a few years the Moreton Bay Figs will be dead. They should be thinking about a new stand right now instead of the hotel. All they have to do is replicate the Southern Stand (even though I think it is one the worst stands around), but at least it will make the oval look good until in future they rebuild the Western Stand with the same design as the Eastern Stand. Then Adelaide Oval at least in looks will be the best in the country.

Cheers
I wont comment too much on Adelaide Oval, except to say that it's a dog breakfast both it's exterior and the surrounding area. Three different stands, of three different heights, ridiculous. And when we finally get a northern stand I wouldn't be surprised if that too was of a different height. Maybe we can have a gold and silver exterior on that one lol..or brown brick to match the exterior of the lower section of the festival center where the cafe is. :lol: :wallbash:

You are right that we need a big international event. How many people tune in to watch the TDU overseas? We only get about 40,000 people visit for it, from both interstate and overseas, most probably from interstate anyway. I know what some others will say, we have festivals. But they barely register internationally that they exist. They're not that big internationally, or significant, and that view that they are somehow massive things is only held locally because of how hyped up Mad March is in the local media.

We need something that appeals to a wider demographic. Watching a bunch of people in lycra for hours riding their bikes on a road with the occasional individual or small group trying to speed past the main group isn't exactly enthralling viewing that appeals to the majority.

One off events of global significance are great to raise the profile, and we should be taking part in the womens world cup bid with a new rectangular stadium in the city. But an annual event or two are needed for continued exposure that will grow the city's profile beyond those events.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2301
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3004 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm

andynguyen wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:55 pm

[...] as well as international golf tournaments at an upgraded North Adelaide Golf Course!
Adelaide already has three world-class golf courses: Grange, Royal Adelaide and Kooyonga. So upgrading the metro golf course is not really required if one is only looking at attracting major tournaments. Although I do understand the value of doing an upgrade. Not many cities in the world have a golf course in the heart of the city. So from a tourism marketing point of view yes it would be great.
It's a shame we didn't have the adequate facilities for a FIFA Women's World Cup bid, maybe the government should use this as an opportunity to develop a 30,000 seat rectangular stadium (with the room to expand to 40,000 if need be), at or near the existing site of SA Athletics Stadium, connected by a new suburban train station at Keswick as part of a future Adelaide underground rail.
Adelaide definitely needs a world-class rectangular stadium. No ifs or buts. I think most here on this forum agree.

The location could be the SA Athletics Stadium, but it would be sad to see that go as many use it including schools. I think the best bet is the netball stadium next door. Raise that and build a new stadium. Sell Hindmarsh for housing and move netball to Adelaide Arena (Titanium Security) Findon or a new Memorial Drive indoor stadium (tennis, etc.).

In a vision posted here years ago I mentioned an expanded railway station at Keswick that would combine the Interstate Terminal with a suburban station. The underground rail would come from the Adelaide Airport with most of it above ground until reaching Keswick and then through the city (underground) onto the eastern suburbs as a cross-town line. I also have plans for other underground rail lines passing through the CBD. There are many options available here except that you need to tunnel away from highrise basements, foundations and pilings. Underground lines preferably should run under roads, squares and parks where you can easily have access points. I have drawn up maps over the years. None have been posted here. I've lost several in my latest hard drive failure in December 2018 and haven't since had time to redraw them. If I find the time I'll retrace my steps and put together those that were lost, but if you are interested in my ideas you can message me.

An idea you should look at seriously is for Keswick to become a full-on TOD. Sensational-Adelaide has discussed TODs and their value in urban renewal and as hubs for public transport, rail, etc. The new Keswick station in this vision will have three levels: at ground level interstate and regional trains; at underground level the metro-suburban trains; and at the above ground level apartments, shops and offices.

This is how Adelaide should be looking at all its new developments. Singapore and Montreal are two good examples how this has been implemented because of their weather conditions. Adelaide will be the same if our summers are going to be hotter than average from now on.

I agree with the expansion of the Western Stand, if that happens I think it would bump up capacity to 60,000 people, meaning more sports and concert fans have the opportunity to attend events at Adelaide Oval and cheaper ticket prices. I don't think the Moreton Bay Figs will be dead in the foreseeable future - that, along with the old scoreboard, are something that distinguishes Adelaide Oval from many stadiums across the globe, and those two significant features should be protected!
I also like Adelaide Oval because of the Moreton Bay Figs, but let’s be realistic with the current weather we are getting in summer these trees will have probably five years at the most. The old scoreboard should be in a museum. That too will suffer from weather conditions if not maintained. Hence putting it indoors in a sports museum. On that scoreboard it should mention D. Bradman and his score of 299 not out, in reference to the highest test score by an individual player at the Adelaide Oval.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2301
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3005 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:19 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:20 pm
I wont comment too much on Adelaide Oval, except to say that it's a dog breakfast both it's exterior and the surrounding area. Three different stands, of three different heights, ridiculous. And when we finally get a northern stand I wouldn't be surprised if that too was of a different height. Maybe we can have a gold and silver exterior on that one lol..or brown brick to match the exterior of the lower section of the festival center where the cafe is. :lol: :wallbash:
I agree.
We need something that appeals to a wider demographic. Watching a bunch of people in lycra for hours riding their bikes on a road with the occasional individual or small group trying to speed past the main group isn't exactly enthralling viewing that appeals to the majority.
The TDU is great to show off Adelaide and its surrounds. Good for tourism marketing. Pity it doesn't pull in large numbers of international visitors. That's where the other events come in. Rev, as we both mentioned before, Adelaide should do a World Fair. We have food and wine, bio-medical, defence technology and soon space technology etc., so why not?
One off events of global significance are great to raise the profile, and we should be taking part in the womens world cup bid with a new rectangular stadium in the city. But an annual event or two are needed for continued exposure that will grow the city's profile beyond those events.
Agree.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:21 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3006 Post by andynguyen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Adelaide definitely needs a world-class rectangular stadium. No ifs or buts. I think most here on this forum agree.

The location could be the SA Athletics Stadium, but it would be sad to see that go as many use it including schools. I think the best bet is the netball stadium next door. Raise that and build a new stadium. Sell Hindmarsh for housing and move netball to Adelaide Arena (Titanium Security) Findon or a new Memorial Drive indoor stadium (tennis, etc.).
Yeah, I agree with you. It’s best for a major rectangular stadium to be close to frequent public transport. The SA Athletics stadium could be kept in its current site however will need a redevelopment including replacement of the athletics track and an increase in seating capacity.

Hindmarsh Stadium should be kept until after 2036 if the Olympics come to Adelaide, then it could be developed, along with surrounding lands, into a dedicated state soccer centre for South Australia or a hockey centre with one or two soccer pitches. Regardless of what happens with the Hindmarsh site, it could be the training ground for West Adelaide soccer club. Netball could still be held at Mile End although they need a new 5000 seat arena for that and the outdoor netball courts could be relocated to the east of the indoor netball facility. I do agree with you a bit in terms of using Titanium Security Arena, but probably only for some netball games that attract large crowds, whilst a new indoor stadium could be located in the railyards north of the Royal Adelaide Hospital so that the tennis facility have room to expand if need be!
Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm
In a vision posted here years ago I mentioned an expanded railway station at Keswick that would combine the Interstate Terminal with a suburban station. The underground rail would come from the Adelaide Airport with most of it above ground until reaching Keswick and then through the city (underground) onto the eastern suburbs as a cross-town line. I also have plans for other underground rail lines passing through the CBD. There are many options available here except that you need to tunnel away from highrise basements, foundations and pilings. Underground lines preferably should run under roads, squares and parks where you can easily have access points. I have drawn up maps over the years. None have been posted here. I've lost several in my latest hard drive failure in December 2018 and haven't since had time to redraw them. If I find the time I'll retrace my steps and put together those that were lost, but if you are interested in my ideas you can message me.
An expanded train station at Keswick to house suburban, interstate and possibly regional trains could be one option, there’s also the option of the existing Adelaide Railway station platforms being used for interstate trains as well, as part of a plan for an underground rail line. Given the very short distance between Adelaide Airport and the CBD and the capacity needed for the Adelaide underground rail to serve the northern and southern suburbs, trams would be the most viable option to serve the airport, at least until the long term.
Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm
An idea you should look at seriously is for Keswick to become a full-on TOD. Sensational-Adelaide has discussed TODs and their value in urban renewal and as hubs for public transport, rail, etc. The new Keswick station in this vision will have three levels: at ground level interstate and regional trains; at underground level the metro-suburban trains; and at the above ground level apartments, shops and offices.

This is how Adelaide should be looking at all its new developments. Singapore and Montreal are two good examples how this has been implemented because of their weather conditions. Adelaide will be the same if our summers are going to be hotter than average from now on.
Keswick station has great potential because it would enable easy access to a significantly expanded sports precinct next door, and the site bordering South Rd, Richmond Rd, Railway Tce and Sir Donald Bradman Dr could be used as an Olympic village for athletes if Adelaide secures the 2036 Olympic Games, which could then be used as part of an urban renewal/housing precinct with a range of apartments, unit and retail facilities.

Between Railway Tce and the railway line, a new sports and aquatic centre could be built, with the following facilities:
- Outdoor heated 50m swimming pool and diving pool to be built, with provisions for seating up to 15000 people if the Olympics come to Adelaide.
- A 50m indoor swimming pool and a leisure pool (with potentially a water slide)
- New indoor courts and facilities for badminton, table tennis, basketball, volleyball and gymnastics

In addition, new fields could be built for rugby, soccer, AFL, cricket and hockey training. This site could become the new training facility for Adelaide United soccer club in the A-League, an Adelaide NRL team and maybe the Adelaide Crows in the AFL if their North Adelaide proposal doesn’t go ahead.

We have an opportunity to create a world class sports hub of that’s close to public transport so the general public (including Adelaide CBD workers) and sports clubs can utilise it, along with major events hosted there.
Attachments
Mile End development.png

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1147
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3007 Post by Nort » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:17 am

andynguyen wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 pm
Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Adelaide definitely needs a world-class rectangular stadium. No ifs or buts. I think most here on this forum agree.

The location could be the SA Athletics Stadium, but it would be sad to see that go as many use it including schools. I think the best bet is the netball stadium next door. Raise that and build a new stadium. Sell Hindmarsh for housing and move netball to Adelaide Arena (Titanium Security) Findon or a new Memorial Drive indoor stadium (tennis, etc.).
Yeah, I agree with you. It’s best for a major rectangular stadium to be close to frequent public transport. The SA Athletics stadium could be kept in its current site however will need a redevelopment including replacement of the athletics track and an increase in seating capacity.

Hindmarsh Stadium should be kept until after 2036 if the Olympics come to Adelaide, then it could be developed, along with surrounding lands, into a dedicated state soccer centre for South Australia or a hockey centre with one or two soccer pitches. Regardless of what happens with the Hindmarsh site, it could be the training ground for West Adelaide soccer club. Netball could still be held at Mile End although they need a new 5000 seat arena for that and the outdoor netball courts could be relocated to the east of the indoor netball facility. I do agree with you a bit in terms of using Titanium Security Arena, but probably only for some netball games that attract large crowds, whilst a new indoor stadium could be located in the railyards north of the Royal Adelaide Hospital so that the tennis facility have room to expand if need be!
Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm
In a vision posted here years ago I mentioned an expanded railway station at Keswick that would combine the Interstate Terminal with a suburban station. The underground rail would come from the Adelaide Airport with most of it above ground until reaching Keswick and then through the city (underground) onto the eastern suburbs as a cross-town line. I also have plans for other underground rail lines passing through the CBD. There are many options available here except that you need to tunnel away from highrise basements, foundations and pilings. Underground lines preferably should run under roads, squares and parks where you can easily have access points. I have drawn up maps over the years. None have been posted here. I've lost several in my latest hard drive failure in December 2018 and haven't since had time to redraw them. If I find the time I'll retrace my steps and put together those that were lost, but if you are interested in my ideas you can message me.
An expanded train station at Keswick to house suburban, interstate and possibly regional trains could be one option, there’s also the option of the existing Adelaide Railway station platforms being used for interstate trains as well, as part of a plan for an underground rail line. Given the very short distance between Adelaide Airport and the CBD and the capacity needed for the Adelaide underground rail to serve the northern and southern suburbs, trams would be the most viable option to serve the airport, at least until the long term.
Ho Really wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm
An idea you should look at seriously is for Keswick to become a full-on TOD. Sensational-Adelaide has discussed TODs and their value in urban renewal and as hubs for public transport, rail, etc. The new Keswick station in this vision will have three levels: at ground level interstate and regional trains; at underground level the metro-suburban trains; and at the above ground level apartments, shops and offices.

This is how Adelaide should be looking at all its new developments. Singapore and Montreal are two good examples how this has been implemented because of their weather conditions. Adelaide will be the same if our summers are going to be hotter than average from now on.
Keswick station has great potential because it would enable easy access to a significantly expanded sports precinct next door, and the site bordering South Rd, Richmond Rd, Railway Tce and Sir Donald Bradman Dr could be used as an Olympic village for athletes if Adelaide secures the 2036 Olympic Games, which could then be used as part of an urban renewal/housing precinct with a range of apartments, unit and retail facilities.

Between Railway Tce and the railway line, a new sports and aquatic centre could be built, with the following facilities:
- Outdoor heated 50m swimming pool and diving pool to be built, with provisions for seating up to 15000 people if the Olympics come to Adelaide.
- A 50m indoor swimming pool and a leisure pool (with potentially a water slide)
- New indoor courts and facilities for badminton, table tennis, basketball, volleyball and gymnastics

In addition, new fields could be built for rugby, soccer, AFL, cricket and hockey training. This site could become the new training facility for Adelaide United soccer club in the A-League, an Adelaide NRL team and maybe the Adelaide Crows in the AFL if their North Adelaide proposal doesn’t go ahead.

We have an opportunity to create a world class sports hub of that’s close to public transport so the general public (including Adelaide CBD workers) and sports clubs can utilise it, along with major events hosted there.
A massive chunk of the area you have marked for "urban renewal" is relatively recent commercial development.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3008 Post by rev » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Apparently theres talk of renovating or rebuilding the netball stadium. Here comes another wasted opportunity and more money wasted.

Isnt the government doing a stadium review or something?

They should be, together with basketball and tennis sitting down and coming up with a plan to present to government and their respective governing bodies, for a new multi purpose indoor arena at Memorial drive.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3009 Post by rev » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:18 pm

And ya'll thought oil rich sheiks where crazy..

X-Seed 4000. Tokyo Bay (actual sea) 1995.
Image

4km tall, 800 floors, 6km wide sea base, home to between 500,000 and 1 million people.
Its apparently the tallest building to ever have been completely planned and designed.
Estimated cost between $300-900 billion.

Ultima Tower. San Francisco 1991.
Image

3.2km tall, 500 floors, home to up to 1 million people.
Estimated cost $150 billion.
140 km2 of floorr space.

Shimizu Mega-City Pyramid. Tokyo Bay 2007.
Image

2km tall, 720 floors+, home to a million people.
8 km2 of floor space.

Apparently the company behind this "proposal", wants to start construction in 2030, and have it completed by 2110.

swapna31
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Beer Garden

#3010 Post by swapna31 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Excellent thread..!!

User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 91 times
Contact:

Re: Beer Garden

#3011 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Four rides will not return to Royal Adelaide Show after failing SafeWork SA checks

They’re four of the biggest thrillseeking rides. But you won’t see them at the Royal Adelaide Show this year, after they failed to comply with South Australia’s strict safety codes.
SafeWork SA confirmed four high-speed rides — The Beast, XXXL, Speed 2 and Xtreme — did not comply with stringent legislation unique to SA as they examined another 13 rides at the Wayville showgrounds on Tuesday.
The State Government’s health and safety watchdog is cracking down on ride operators by “rigorously enforcing” existing safety laws amid scrutiny from the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption.
SafeWork SA executive director Martyn Campbell said all four rides had locking mechanisms which were non-compliant despite being at the Show last year.
He said a “double-locking” device needed to be installed in an over-shoulder harness that pins a rider down in their seat — one of the “extra engineering controls” that do not exist in other states.
“There should be two locking devices engineered into that seat which means if the first one fails, the second one activates and that overhead and shoulder restraint shouldn’t move,” he said.
“If it does move, we say it’s not compliant. Somebody who is of slighter build or a child could be ejected out of that seat.
“There were some codes in SA’s Work Health and Safety Act that don’t appear in other states, that means there are some extra steps ride owners have to go through to show that their rides are safe and comply with our regulation.”
While the four rides have locking devices installed, their harness seats pull forward and were not given the green light from SafeWork SA engineers.
Mr Campbell said owners and operators of those four rides were issued improvement notices last year.
The ride operators appealed — but time had run out for the appeal process to be completed for this year’s event, leaving the operators the only option of pulling out.
Mr Campbell said he would rather cop“criticism” from adrenaline junkies than take the risk of allowing an accident to happen.
On September 12, 2014, eight-year-old Adelene Leong was thrown from the Airmaxx 360 ride at the Royal Adelaide Show. She later died in hospital.
The ride owner, C J And Sons Amusement, and one of its directors, Jenny-lee Sullivan, were fined $157,500 after the Industrial Court found inherent design flaws in the ride and inadequate maintenance.
The state’s anti-corruption watchdog is examining SafeWork SA’s investigation into the fatal accident after the State Government’s health and safety watchdog’s prosecution against the ride’s safety inspector, Safe is Safe Pty Ltd, collapsed in May 2018.
Mr Campbell said the double locking mechanism could have prevented the girl’s death.
“Since I took over at SafeWork, we now rigorously enforcing all of those engineering controls,” Mr Campbell said.
“From my perspective, I’m not prepared to take the risk to allow that to happen again.”
Safework SA will carry out audits on the remaining rides ahead of the Show opening day on Friday and will perform random periodic checks throughout the event.
Royal Adelaide Show general manager Michelle Hocking said they were aware the four rides would not be compliant in time for the show and “as such the rides were not booked to be here this year”.
Help us Fight Back the Retail Apocalypse.
Support Small Business More, Support Small Business Better.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3012 Post by rev » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:56 pm

With China banning imports of our garbage, that national recycli g company going bust, and now the state government wanting to turn the state into the national dumping ground, it got me thinking.

Singapore had a garbage problem.
They built a waste to energy plant. Has worked wonders for them, it reduces waste/pollution and from what Ive read so far emits very little pollution. Even thrle byproduct ash left over isnt that harmful. They dump it in the ocean apparently.

Why aren't we looking at waste to energy plants? Not just in SA but nationally.
Its not like we will ever run out of garbage, on the contrary as populations grow garbage will increase obviously. So we have an infinite resource to generate electricity, but we do nothing with it.

Im no greeny, 1000% behind mining our resources, but surely this is a better option that must be considered by governments.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3013 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Ask the Greens about that one.

They shut down the refineries and the coal fired power stations.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 582 times
Been thanked: 263 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3014 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:21 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:56 pm
With China banning imports of our garbage, that national recycli g company going bust, and now the state government wanting to turn the state into the national dumping ground, it got me thinking.

Singapore had a garbage problem.
They built a waste to energy plant. Has worked wonders for them, it reduces waste/pollution and from what Ive read so far emits very little pollution. Even thrle byproduct ash left over isnt that harmful. They dump it in the ocean apparently.

Why aren't we looking at waste to energy plants? Not just in SA but nationally.
Its not like we will ever run out of garbage, on the contrary as populations grow garbage will increase obviously. So we have an infinite resource to generate electricity, but we do nothing with it.

Im no greeny, 1000% behind mining our resources, but surely this is a better option that must be considered by governments.
It's done widely in Northern Europe too, but it has broader rationale there in that heat from the burning is used to warm homes. I believe in Australia there are a couple small scale plants in Tasmania, and it is something that should be looked at as part of a national investigation into waste. But IMO, the longer term solution is transitioning to a circular economy that considers the whole-life of products and stops needlessly wasting so much shit.
OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm
Ask the Greens about that one.

They shut down the refineries and the coal fired power stations.
Try again?
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3015 Post by rev » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:39 pm

90's Melbourne
Image
80's Melbourne
Image

That riverfront reminds me of our Torrens/Elder Park today...boring, nothing happening, under developed, not fitting of a major capital. Then again, are we even a major capital anymore, or just another regional city as the federal government views us.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest