[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: [APP] [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#406 Post by claybro » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 pm

bits wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:13 pm
rev wrote: Why hasn't anyone complained about the addition of the Roof Climb business to Adelaide Oval? They had to make changes to the roof's of the stands for it you know.
The roof climb is a unique attraction. It is worthy of putting on adverts for the state.

The restaurant is a unique offer, worthy of postcard pictures.

A standard hotel is not a unique attraction. There is countless of them in Adelaide already. Postcards will not be of this hotel or of the views from the hotel, they will be of Adelaide Oval it is in the way of.
It is definitely not a unique offer, it is a standard business opportunity that is taken up by many private companies already.

Non invested people will not be promoting the hotel as anything noteworthy.

SMA may as well build a shop front down there and open an accounting firm selling $50 tax returns, or a jewelry shop where you can buy charms for your bracelet, maybe sell some life insurance.
The AO hotel has rated a few mentions in the media here in Perth, and in a positive light. It is in fact the only time I have seen AO really mentioned in general at all, so it seems only some sad sacks in Adelaide think the hotel is the worse developement to happen in Adelaide.. ever. I've said it before, but Adelaide oval has quickly sunk into obscurity this year, it is no architectural marvel, and without continuing redevelopement will be relegated to second rate status without attracting even sought after international events.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#407 Post by Honey of a City » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Can’t wait for the cheaper beers and chips and ticket prices this uber-ugly hotel will bring to us punters.

Ho Really

#408 Post by Ho Really » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:57 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 pm
The AO hotel has rated a few mentions in the media here in Perth, and in a positive light. It is in fact the only time I have seen AO really mentioned in general at all, so it seems only some sad sacks in Adelaide think the hotel is the worse developement to happen in Adelaide.. ever. I've said it before, but Adelaide oval has quickly sunk into obscurity this year, it is no architectural marvel, and without continuing redevelopement will be relegated to second rate status without attracting even sought after international events.
That's good news about it being portrayed positively elsewhere. Pity the hotel addition and Adelaide Oval as a whole is an ugly development. If they had only thought about the hotel way back in the beginning AO could've turned out better. I hope they make good money out of the hotel and use it to build the Northern Stand when the Moreton Bay figs die.
Honey of a City wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 pm
Can’t wait for the cheaper beers and chips and ticket prices this uber-ugly hotel will bring to us punters.
As long as it creates jobs and pays wages (not Olsen's) I'm happy for the punters to get sucked into paying. :cheers:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#409 Post by rev » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 am

bits wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:13 pm
rev wrote: Why hasn't anyone complained about the addition of the Roof Climb business to Adelaide Oval? They had to make changes to the roof's of the stands for it you know.
The roof climb is a unique attraction. It is worthy of putting on adverts for the state.

The restaurant is a unique offer, worthy of postcard pictures.

A standard hotel is not a unique attraction. There is countless of them in Adelaide already. Postcards will not be of this hotel or of the views from the hotel, they will be of Adelaide Oval it is in the way of.
It is definitely not a unique offer, it is a standard business opportunity that is taken up by many private companies already.

Non invested people will not be promoting the hotel as anything noteworthy.

SMA may as well build a shop front down there and open an accounting firm selling $50 tax returns, or a jewelry shop where you can buy charms for your bracelet, maybe sell some life insurance.
I wasnt making a point on uniquness but since you have..

A hotel isnt unique to Adelaide, sure. A hotel built in/at a stadium is unique to Adelaide/Australia.

Your argument is flawed. Its like saying why open a roof top bar when we already have other roof top bars. Can be applied to practically any business here.

rev

#410 Post by rev » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:14 am

Ho Really wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:57 pm
claybro wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 pm
That's good news about it being portrayed positively elsewhere. Pity the hotel addition and Adelaide Oval as a whole is an ugly development. If they had only thought about the hotel way back in the beginning AO could've turned out better. I hope they make good money out of the hotel and use it to build the Northern Stand when the Moreton Bay figs die.

Cheers
FB_IMG_1567786280802.jpg
People say we dont need a "soulless" concrete bowl. Well we have 3/4 of a concrete bowl.
Look at that exterior, much better then what we ended up with.
Look at it with the new bridge there too..even better. The lighting on the edges of our bridge looks pathetic and cheap.
Even the lighting of the roof canopies is sub standard.

ghs

#411 Post by ghs » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am

rev wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:14 am
The lighting on the edges of our bridge looks pathetic and cheap.
You think that everything is pathetic and cheap.

Ho Really

#412 Post by Ho Really » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:24 pm

ghs wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am
rev wrote:
No he doesn't think everything is pathetic and cheap, it's just those developments that are half-hearted, patch-up jobs... I know many of you here disagree with me and rev on AO. Yes, money can be an issue, meaning cheap, but design can still be done at a reasonable cost if those planning these developments did things with vision. Perhaps the Liberals were all hot air at election time when they promised a multi-purpose covered stadium at the railyards. Perhaps it was too expensive or pie in the sky, but at least they came out with something that Adelaide would have been proud of. That's what we need from both ends of parliament. Adelaide has the foundation of a great city already in place, so we need to aim higher in our standards. We don't want piecemeal developments.

The hotel itself at the AO is not a bad thing. It's probably a brilliant idea. However how does it integrate with the whole design? It's a pimple on top of a wart. We can only hope the Moreton Bay Figs die sooner than later so that this stadium can be completed even if it still will not be up to the standard of Perth (Optus) Stadium. The only way it will look good is if the design has continuity. A Southern Stand should be erected at the northern end and the Western Stand rebuilt or brought up to the same height as the Eastern Stand. The brick walls facing the cricket nets on the western side should be removed so the stand can be enlarged. The heritage value went when the original George Giffen, Sir Edwin Smith and Mostyn Evan stands were pulled down. So no crying here. We don't want a pizza style stadium where components are thrown down at random so that we'll have four different stands, or even three for that matter and a hotel stuck to one facade!

One thing that will help make AO (and its environs) better than present is the tennis stadium next door if developed properly into a multi-purpose sports arena (seating 8,000 to 10,000). There are other things too that will improve AO and surrounds, but I won't mention them here.

Cheers

Patrick_27

#413 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 am

Ho Really wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:24 pm
ghs wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am
rev wrote:
No he doesn't think everything is pathetic and cheap, it's just those developments that are half-hearted, patch-up jobs... I know many of you here disagree with me and rev on AO. Yes, money can be an issue, meaning cheap, but design can still be done at a reasonable cost if those planning these developments did things with vision. Perhaps the Liberals were all hot air at election time when they promised a multi-purpose covered stadium at the railyards. Perhaps it was too expensive or pie in the sky, but at least they came out with something that Adelaide would have been proud of. That's what we need from both ends of parliament. Adelaide has the foundation of a great city already in place, so we need to aim higher in our standards. We don't want piecemeal developments.

The hotel itself at the AO is not a bad thing. It's probably a brilliant idea. However how does it integrate with the whole design? It's a pimple on top of a wart. We can only hope the Moreton Bay Figs die sooner than later so that this stadium can be completed even if it still will not be up to the standard of Perth (Optus) Stadium. The only way it will look good is if the design has continuity. A Southern Stand should be erected at the northern end and the Western Stand rebuilt or brought up to the same height as the Eastern Stand. The brick walls facing the cricket nets on the western side should be removed so the stand can be enlarged. The heritage value went when the original George Giffen, Sir Edwin Smith and Mostyn Evan stands were pulled down. So no crying here. We don't want a pizza style stadium where components are thrown down at random so that we'll have four different stands, or even three for that matter and a hotel stuck to one facade!

One thing that will help make AO (and its environs) better than present is the tennis stadium next door if developed properly into a multi-purpose sports arena (seating 8,000 to 10,000). There are other things too that will improve AO and surrounds, but I won't mention them here.

Cheers
You and rev are about the only people I know of that aren't proud of what AO became after that redevelopment... And what is the obsession with building over the hill... Ever heard of supply and demand? Why would they build something that isn't required? There's this mentality that we should just build shit for the sake of it, there is absolutely no need to bung an extra 10,000 seats onto AO...

Ho Really

#414 Post by Ho Really » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 am
You and rev are about the only people I know of that aren't proud of what AO became after that redevelopment... And what is the obsession with building over the hill... Ever heard of supply and demand? Why would they build something that isn't required?
I haven't asked rev if he is proud or not about the redeveloped AO. I can only talk for myself, and yes, I'm not entirely happy of how this stadium was redeveloped. It seems we waste great opportunities here in Adelaide. I blame both AO management and Labor over this. I'm not exonerating the Liberals either. It seems they all have the same malaise.

There is no obsession about building over any hill. It will bring AO to a better level, admittedly not as good as Perth Stadium, but at least the stadium will be completed and give better viewing conditions for those that choose the northern end. Supply and demand is a weak excuse. Give people improved facilities and they'll use it. The rest is up to SMA to organise events to pull in the crowds.
There's this mentality that we should just build shit for the sake of it, there is absolutely no need to bung an extra 10,000 seats onto AO...
So adding a northern stand to complete AO is just for the sake of it? I do agree that AO is shit, but unless the whole thing is raised to ground and rebuilt - not impossible but extremely improbable - we have to go with what we have. Let us at least finish it and make it look like a proper stadium. Many here want the Commonwealth Games. I'm not too fussed as I know there are better events for Adelaide to get exposure, but if the populace want it then we should give those coming here from abroad the best possible experience at what many here are proud of.

Cheers

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#415 Post by Will » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:15 pm

I do find it interesting that the only people who dislike Adelaide Oval, tend to be our fellow South Australians. I have yet to hear or read a negative opinion piece from someone based interstate or overseas. In fact quite the opposite. Another example of the cultural cringe?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#416 Post by SRW » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Definitely a large degree of cultural cringe. And let's face it, sports tend drive people mad :wink:

Not to zero sum it, but we also don't need and can't afford to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on single stadium every decade while other infrastructure is neglected or never built. Any significant economic uplift to be had was already gained in the original expansion, notwithstanding that stadium upgrades are generally false economies.
Keep Adelaide Weird

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#417 Post by how good is he » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:56 pm

I agree but politicians often go with popular vote winning decisions. There is the argument of say winning a Commonwealth games & the marketing/tourism exposure. Plus the legacy infrastructure (ie stadiums etc) that remain for the future generations may influence our ability to create/attract future athletes, sport teams & tournaments.

rev

#418 Post by rev » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:26 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 am
You and rev are about the only people I know of that aren't proud of what AO became after that redevelopment... And what is the obsession with building over the hill... Ever heard of supply and demand? Why would they build something that isn't required? There's this mentality that we should just build shit for the sake of it, there is absolutely no need to bung an extra 10,000 seats onto AO...
Most of you are proud of it because of how sub standard as an international sporting venue Adelaide Oval was previously.
Just because it's improved, doesn't mean we got the best result possible.

The footbridge in Perth is as big a focal point as the stadium it self.
The surrounds of the Perth stadium are open, big public plaza area, mixture of paved areas and grass. Well lit as well.
The exterior of the stadium is one, it flows all the way around. And the lighting effects on it aren't an after thought.

Our footbridge, besides the lighting on the triangle sections below, is pretty poor. The crappy strip of lights on the edge looks bad. Quite often there's sections of those lights that aren't working. The design it self is so unimaginative and boring. As usual, they went with the safe option. Too scared to be bold and break the mould in Adelaide.
The lighting effects on the roofs of Adelaide Oval were an afterthought, and it shows. The lighting system that was installed, is as bad as the strip lights around the edge of the foot bridge. Have you watched it during an international cricket match or after when they still have the lights on as each section cycles from yellow to green? I've seen backyard DJ's with better lighting setups, even Windows 95 had better flowing effects on Media Player :lol:
We have three disjointed stands, three different heights, three different exteriors. We then have a 1990's suburban feel going on in the northern end, complete with an outdated suburban backwater entry point.
Entry through the western side is just as bad.
The surrounding area I wouldn't even let a stray dog run around in on it's own.
We had to keep the crappy wild grown, unmaintained gum trees out the front of the southern side too.
We had to put a new indoor cricket centre right next to it too.

Why do we need war memorial drive to run right past the oval there?
Why do we need to rebuild the tennis stadium into an indoor arena right on the same spot?
Why can't the tennis stadium, nextgen gym, and outdoor courts all be demolished, war memorial closed/removed, a new indoor arena and a couple outdoor courts built in the western corner where the carpark/courts are, and the space between that, Adelaide Oval, the Torrens and King William turned into a big open public space? Because people in Adelaide are too scared of such big change.

The eastern stands exterior, the more I look at it over the years, the more it looks like the addon extensions and renovations that premier league clubs do to their old outdated stadiums, before they eventually knock them down and build something worthy.

Proud? Of what? Disjointed mediocrity trying to cram as much in as possible to keep everyone happy? :sly:

Ho Really

#419 Post by Ho Really » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Will wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:15 pm
I do find it interesting that the only people who dislike Adelaide Oval, tend to be our fellow South Australians. I have yet to hear or read a negative opinion piece from someone based interstate or overseas. In fact quite the opposite. Another example of the cultural cringe?
We dislike it because it could've been much better. Nothing to do with cultural cringe.

Cheers

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#420 Post by SRW » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Re: the Perth comparison, I'll take a decent stadium in the heart of the city over one that's shiny but far from anything.
Keep Adelaide Weird