News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#691 Post by SRW » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:56 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:33 pm
So how many similar, but pointlessly different, liveries are we up to across buses, trams and trains? It's a fucking dogs breakfast.
Agreed.

Doesn't really make for a cohesive brand identity, but then again, probably reflects the haphazardness of the service.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#692 Post by Joelmark » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 pm

SRW wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:56 pm
Nathan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:33 pm
So how many similar, but pointlessly different, liveries are we up to across buses, trams and trains? It's a fucking dogs breakfast.
Agreed.

Doesn't really make for a cohesive brand identity, but then again, probably reflects the haphazardness of the service.
I think all the liveries have been moving to a single one for years now. With the refurb of the 3000 class rail cars, all the Adelaide Metro trains, most of the buses, and the Citadis trams now all have the common red front/ blue border presentation. It's really only the older buses and Flexity trams still with a yellow front.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#693 Post by adelaide transport » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:17 pm

There are still a lot of the older style yellow fronted buses in service,and we will still see this colour scheme for many years to come.

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#694 Post by EBG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:22 pm

Today's announcement of the production of an electric bus is just a re-announcement of the project by the same company in 2017 ? see
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/sout ... bus-2017-6.

As for the continual need for different colour schemes -this is just a marketing tool. It does not improve the service or the time schedules.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#695 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 pm

I catch the various G20/21/22 buses a lot these days, and boy are there some ancient buses still in service on those lines. Oldest is some single floor level model that must be from the early 80s, is it any wonder people don't want to ride them (along with the route and time issues). Certainly overdue for a new fleet.

jorcoga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#696 Post by jorcoga » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:33 pm

I still think redoing the bus and train liveries in Madrid colours to match the Citadis trams rather than redoing the Madrid trams in Adelaide colours is the most Adelaide thing in the world.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#697 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 pm

EBG wrote:Today's announcement of the production of an electric bus is just a re-announcement of the project by the same company in 2017 ? see
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/sout ... bus-2017-6.

As for the continual need for different colour schemes -this is just a marketing tool. It does not improve the service or the time schedules.
Well, kind of.

Apparently the Liberals cancelled the original contracts from Labor, went back to the market and found that the original contract was already the best possible/cheapest outcome.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#698 Post by ginzahikari » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:42 am

jorcoga wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:33 pm
I still think redoing the bus and train liveries in Madrid colours to match the Citadis trams rather than redoing the Madrid trams in Adelaide colours is the most Adelaide thing in the world.
I think it's better to differentiate the modes with different colours like what Sydney and Melbourne are doing.. is it just me?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#699 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:46 am

ginzahikari wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:42 am
jorcoga wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:33 pm
I think it's better to differentiate the modes with different colours like what Sydney and Melbourne are doing.. is it just me?
I feel like the type of vehicle you're boarding makes that pretty obvious. I prefer a unified livery because it signals a unified service. For visitors especially, that's important. One ticket to ride them all.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#700 Post by Spotto » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:39 am

Joelmark wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 pm
the Citadis trams now all have the common red front/ blue border presentation. It's really only the older buses and Flexity trams still with a yellow front.
The Citadis liveries aren’t even our own, they weren’t repainted when we purchased them from the Madrid Metro.

I think differentiating the modes with different colours like other cities would be nice. The “shattered fractal” livery used by PTV is quite attractive.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#701 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm

I don't think Adelaide Metro/DPTI/SAPTA have the budget to come up with something more interesting than what we have. When the government decides to value public transport, marketing and design more highly, maybe then they can hire some professionals to give public transport the attention it deserves, rather than run everything on a shoestring budget.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#702 Post by SBD » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm
I don't think Adelaide Metro/DPTI/SAPTA have the budget, skill or creativity to come up with something more interesting than what we have. When the government decides to value public transport, marketing and design more highly, maybe then they can hire some professionals to give public transport the attention it deserves, rather than run everything on a shoestring budget.
I saw a red 3000-class on the weekend while I was stopped at a level crossing. I don't know if it was just the morning sunshine or fresh coat of paint, but it certainly looked more striking and attractive/modern to me than the yellow ones.

Not sure if it was the colour or just the freshness, but it worked for me.

Ideally of course, the Gawler line should be running 4000-class electric sets.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#703 Post by adelaide transport » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 pm

The oldest buses are in the Torrens Transit fleet,where the MAN SL 202's are gradually being replaced as they reach their 25 year age limit.e

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#704 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 am

Sealink has taken over the parent company of Torrens Transit.

https://indaily.com.au/news/business/20 ... -services/

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#705 Post by Westside » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 am
Sealink has taken over the parent company of Torrens Transit.

https://indaily.com.au/news/business/20 ... -services/
East-West Buses will now run twice daily on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays with a service on Sundays during school holidays. Bikes will be allowed on buses but will cost you an extra $240 each way.