News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4126 Post by Spotto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:08 pm
The tram extension down North Terrace might have been a total mess and financial blunder, some could say the same about the Entertainment Centre extension. Gawler electrification might only be happening now after a decade since it was first announced. But you know what? At-least Labor tried.
Not to crap on Labor’s other transport developments but I don’t think the North Terrace tram extension is the best example. Irrespective of the problems and delays it encountered, it was given the go-ahead purely to be a ribbon-cutting drawcard immediately before the election. Mighty convenient that it was originally planned to open a mere 2 months before the election...

Labor obviously cares more about public transport than the Libs, but if they actually cared about the North Terrace tram it would’ve been done long before it was.

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4127 Post by EBG » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:08 pm

I hope this is the correct thread , the Tonsley station has been completely removed and the track and overhead wiring has been cut back to the Clovelly park station . pictures 11/812019.
(1) site of former Tonsley station.
(2) looking in the other direction to Sturt Rd there is a piling rig and associated crane. There is no work yet in the triangle between South Rd /Sturt road or university drive.

This is supposed to be open when the south Rd upgrade is finished. Click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20190811_Tonseley 1.jpg
20190811_Tonseley 3.jpg

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4128 Post by Spotto » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:09 am

I feel like I've already asked this but I can't find it anywhere on the forum search.

How come the platform numbers in Adelaide are the wrong way around (i.e. why does Platform 1 face away from the city)? In other Australian (and most international) cities at your typical two-platform stations, the citybound platform is Platform 1 and the outbound platform is Platform 2. However, in Adelaide this order is reversed and the outbound platforms are Platform 1.

Is there a reason why we're the odd ones out?

Aidan

#4129 Post by Aidan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:25 am

Spotto, it used to be that Platform 1 was towards the City and Platform 2 away from the City. But when they installed the new train control system, the numbering was changed to whether its northbound or southbound rather than whether it's Citybound.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4130 Post by Spotto » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am

Aidan wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:25 am
Spotto, it used to be that Platform 1 was towards the City and Platform 2 away from the City. But when they installed the new train control system, the numbering was changed to whether its northbound or southbound rather than whether it's Citybound.
So you’re saying that every Platform 1 is northbound and every Platform 2 is southbound regardless of the line. Because that doesn’t appear to be the case (Gawler Line northbound is P1, Seaford Line northbound is P2); they’re all still based on citybound/outbound just the wrong order.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#4131 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Adelaide train fire leads to audit of entire rail fleet
Elizabeth Henson, The Advertiser
September 19, 2019 5:21pm

The Transport Department has launched an investigation into its entire rail fleet after one of its passenger trains caught fire mid-trip last month.

Department chief executive Tony Braxton-Smith confirmed the audit during a parliamentary committee hearing on Thursday.

It came after a train’s engine caught alight while the railcar was travelling along the Grange line on Saturday, August 17.

Mr Braxton-Smith said no passengers were injured in the incident.

A Transport Department spokesman said the engine and systems on trains were “designed in accordance with relevant standards to minimise the fire risk”.

“In this incident the spread of the fire was limited and passengers were not at risk at any stage,” he said.

The spokesman said the fire was being examined by two independent Forensic Fire Investigation and in the meantime all trains were being checked.

“While there is no definitive cause at present, the department is inspecting the rest of the fleet to provide input into the (investigation) report,” he said.[quote

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4132 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:00 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 pm
Adelaide train fire leads to audit of entire rail fleet
Elizabeth Henson, The Advertiser
September 19, 2019 5:21pm

The Transport Department has launched an investigation into its entire rail fleet after one of its passenger trains caught fire mid-trip last month.

Department chief executive Tony Braxton-Smith confirmed the audit during a parliamentary committee hearing on Thursday.

It came after a train’s engine caught alight while the railcar was travelling along the Grange line on Saturday, August 17.

Mr Braxton-Smith said no passengers were injured in the incident.

A Transport Department spokesman said the engine and systems on trains were “designed in accordance with relevant standards to minimise the fire risk”.

“In this incident the spread of the fire was limited and passengers were not at risk at any stage,” he said.

The spokesman said the fire was being examined by two independent Forensic Fire Investigation and in the meantime all trains were being checked.

“While there is no definitive cause at present, the department is inspecting the rest of the fleet to provide input into the (investigation) report,” he said.
Then it should be converted to electric :D

claybro

#4133 Post by claybro » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Ironically it was a fire on a Gawler bound red hen in the 90's that finally forced the government to retire the remaining Red hen fleet. That fire was more serious, with passengers assisting operating the fire extinguishers.

EBG

#4134 Post by EBG » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Update on the Tonsley rail extension as at 7/10/10.
1. start of the earth ramp up.
2. footing for bridge over Sturt road.
3. the base of the columns for the elevated sections are being formed up in the triangle area between Sturt Rd and South road. Click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20191007_tonsely 1.jpg
20191007_tonsely 2.jpg
20191007_tonsely 3.jpg

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#4135 Post by Bob » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:29 pm

As the various preliminary works continue this month in preparation of the Gawler Electrification project, we should be reminded that the original electrification plan for Adelaide's suburban railways was agreed in principle seventy (70) years ago this month - October 1949, when Sir Thomas Playford was Premier of SA.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... y=dateDesc

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#4136 Post by Joelmark » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 am

Labor will announce this weekend that they will take back any tram or train services that are outsourced by the Liberals if they are elected at the 2022 state election. I believe the option of taking back the bus contracts will be explored too. Good news for those of us who have concluded that there's not a single good reason to transfer these services to the private sector. It will hopefully make the private bidders think twice before competing for the contracts in the first place. This keeps the pressure up on the State Libs and their train-wreck of a public transport policy.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4137 Post by Spotto » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 am

Joelmark wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 am
Labor will announce this weekend that they will take back any tram or train services that are outsourced by the Liberals if they are elected at the 2022 state election. I believe the option of taking back the bus contracts will be explored too.
They say they will, but they had 16 uninterrupted years to undo the bus privatisation.

I don’t want privatisation to happen either, but is this just a promise for appearances sake?

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4138 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Labor will announce this weekend that they will take back any tram or train services that are outsourced by the Liberals if they are elected at the 2022 state election. I believe the option of taking back the bus contracts will be explored too. Good news for those of us who have concluded that there's not a single good reason to transfer these services to the private sector. It will hopefully make the private bidders think twice before competing for the contracts in the first place. This keeps the pressure up on the State Libs and their train-wreck of a public transport policy.
If the services are re-nationalised, does the government have to pay a penalty to cancel the contract? Usually the Liberals include these clauses so that Labor can't re-nationalise.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#4139 Post by Hooligan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 am
Joelmark wrote:
Labor will announce this weekend that they will take back any tram or train services that are outsourced by the Liberals if they are elected at the 2022 state election. I believe the option of taking back the bus contracts will be explored too.
They say they will, but they had 16 uninterrupted years to undo the bus privatisation.

I don’t want privatisation to happen either, but is this just a promise for appearances sake?
While building the new RAH, basically every service in the hospital was privatised under Labor. Example, old RAH's kitchen was government, New RAH's is run by Spotless.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

ChillyPhilly

#4140 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:15 pm
Spotto wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 am
Joelmark wrote:

While building the new RAH, basically every service in the hospital was privatised under Labor. Example, old RAH's kitchen was government, New RAH's is run by Spotless.
That's no secret though - right from the start, the new RAH was announced as a PPP (public-private partnership).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.