[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#466 Post by Ho Really » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:37 am

Stryker wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:14 am
Ho Really wrote:I haven’t seen the masterplan so have no idea where the roof can be reused, however if you use your imagination what’s already been done can easily be part of a redeveloped stadium. Said it before, they can dig one or two levels down, add an underground carpark if they want or just have a sunken centre court encircled by seats up to the roof. It can be done and it might even look like the concept image released before last year’s state election.
Or they could unbolt this giant Meccano like set and reassemble it out the back over 3 or 4 of the show courts which is the likely scenario if it’s reused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What’s the point of that? We’re not the Australian Open or Wimbledon. Better still use it for another covered stadium elsewhere and planned from the ground up.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#467 Post by rev » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:37 am
Stryker wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:14 am
Ho Really wrote:I haven’t seen the masterplan so have no idea where the roof can be reused, however if you use your imagination what’s already been done can easily be part of a redeveloped stadium. Said it before, they can dig one or two levels down, add an underground carpark if they want or just have a sunken centre court encircled by seats up to the roof. It can be done and it might even look like the concept image released before last year’s state election.
Or they could unbolt this giant Meccano like set and reassemble it out the back over 3 or 4 of the show courts which is the likely scenario if it’s reused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What’s the point of that? We’re not the Australian Open or Wimbledon. Better still use it for another covered stadium elsewhere and planned from the ground up.

Cheers
True. But imo, we should have two indoor arenas, a larger one and a smaller one, and several outdoor courts capable of being used as part of an international tournament.
These indoor arena facilities aren't used merely for tennis or basketball or netball, but concerts and other types of events.
Across the river, just west of the Morphett street bridge, they should expand the convention centre and move the entertainment centre there..call it the Adelaide Exhibition & Entertainment Centre (it's not like the riverbank is going to be anything exciting in the next 50 years anyway with what they've done)...and expand the Bowden developments across Port Road to the existing entertainment centre.

Ho Really

#468 Post by Ho Really » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:10 am

rev wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm
True. But imo, we should have two indoor arenas, a larger one and a smaller one, and several outdoor courts capable of being used as part of an international tournament. These indoor arena facilities aren't used merely for tennis or basketball or netball, but concerts and other types of events.
The outdoor courts are just that. I don't see why there should be other courts outside the main stadium that should be covered or even another venue for other sports in the surrounding tennis/cricket compound. That's the point I was making to Stryker and I guess you agree.

The Current Memorial Drive site if sunken would still be a large indoor stadium. Perhaps just shy of a good indoor entertainment venue as you need access for trucks etc., to bring in all sorts of materials (stages, dirt, etc.,) for different events. The Entertainment Centre still fulfils that. Unless capacity is insufficient or it's not required anymore it will be difficult for another one to be built in the short or medium term. I think that's the reality regardless who will run this state in future. However we're allowed to dream. You never know what will happen tomorrow.
Across the river, just west of the Morphett street bridge, they should expand the convention centre and move the entertainment centre there..call it the Adelaide Exhibition & Entertainment Centre (it's not like the riverbank is going to be anything exciting in the next 50 years anyway with what they've done)...and expand the Bowden developments across Port Road to the existing entertainment centre.
A second covered stadium as you mention, if there is enough money could be built west of the Morphett Street Bridge. If ever planned they need to look at a development that includes underground, ground level and above ground spaces, whether car parks, underground subway stations, malls, offices, etc. No more major developments in Adelaide should be allowed unless they consider this in their plans.

If a new rectangular stadium is built that too could have a retractable roof permitting indoor concerts and motorsport events. Who knows.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Patrick_27

#469 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:44 pm

rev wrote:
True. But imo, we should have two indoor arenas, a larger one and a smaller one, and several outdoor courts capable of being used as part of an international tournament.
These indoor arena facilities aren't used merely for tennis or basketball or netball, but concerts and other types of events.
Everything you have said is basically what Melbourne already has, what's people's fascination with becoming like other cities around the world? Can't we simply do our own thing...

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#470 Post by Goodsy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:05 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:44 pm
rev wrote:
Everything you have said is basically what Melbourne already has, what's people's fascination with becoming like other cities around the world? Can't we simply do our own thing...
yeah..Lets not try an emulate one of the best sporting and entertainment precincts in the world and just do our own thing :roll:

Waewick

[COM] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#471 Post by Waewick » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:44 pm
rev wrote:
yeah..Lets not try an emulate one of the best sporting and entertainment precincts in the world and just do our own thing :roll:
Yeah, let's do our own thing.

Save the endless loop of trying to copy others only to have them change.

EBG

#472 Post by EBG » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Roof is making good progress picture 10/11/2019
Attachments
20191110_tenis.jpg

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#473 Post by citywatcher » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
rev wrote:
Yeah like making it retractable or one way or run on concrete tracks Image

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly

[COM] [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#474 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:39 am

A series of snaps from 15/11.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#475 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 am

Don't think the thread title is a vision any more, given its been under construction for months!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#476 Post by arki » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Am I jumping the gun or has the translucent roof been replaced by what looks like shade cloth?

claybro

#477 Post by claybro » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

This is actually turning out worse than I thought.. and I never liked the concept in the first place. It appears the stands will still be susceptible to strong winds and rain.. I get that it is primarily for tennis.. and to keep the sun off.. but for any other purpose, next to useless, and not at all attractive.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#478 Post by how good is he » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:46 pm

Yes for me the “grandstands” still look like something you would find in a country/regional town. I did see the courts & roof lit up at night and that may be the only saving grace (night tennis) as it looked very good with all the new lighting. Maybe they will incorporate coloured LED lights to match the AO next door (as the new roof structure does kinda match the Northern grandstand). I think we know it’s a “temporary” fix until a new stadium is ever built but at $10m for what’s been done I am wondering if they should have spent more if this is going to be the best we get for tennis tournaments in the next 10 years?
Last edited by how good is he on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChillyPhilly

#479 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:48 pm

The new tennis roof needs coloured lights.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#480 Post by andynguyen » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 pm

I think the Memorial Drive site could be used to build a new 25000-30000 seat rectangular stadium to maximise use and legacy of the Riverbank precinct, bringing higher capacity crowds closer to the city centre. To allow for more space and vibrancy, parts of Montefiore Rd and maybe War Memorial Drive could be tunnelled before building the rectangular stadium.

Tennis could relocate to the existing Keswick Army Barracks site, opposite the Showgrounds. The new tennis centre can incorporate a main show court, being an 8000 seat retractable roof indoor arena could be Adelaide's secondary indoor arena suitable for tennis, netball, basketball, concerts, festivals and Royal Show events.