Rebranding of Adelaide Metro

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

Rebranding of Adelaide Metro

#1 Post by ginzahikari » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm

I know this is defo not an initiative that should be prioritised, but I believe that it is worth a consideration since the current branding has become such a meme. I believe the whole integrated signage system in conjunction with the wayfinding and cycling signage will be perfect for a medium-sized city like Adelaide. Please give me your thoughts!!
Attachments
admet.pdf
(448.61 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Rebranding of Adelaide Metro

#2 Post by rev » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:03 pm

Post screen shots or something, not downloading an unknown attachment.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 am

It's a report Rev, not just a couple of pictures.

It's a nice set of designs. I can see inspiration taken from other design sets such as those used in NSW and the new set used at Flinders Station in Melbourne.

I'm not quite sold on the logos, they seem a bit too simplistic. I do commend you though in trying to get a coherent regional transport brand together, something that really needs to be done to stop the system declining further and further in relevance.

I would love to have the government implement this, but in don't think their current approach to design involves much more than doing the bare minimum.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Saltwater » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:02 am

The destination boards in Melbourne look great, but might be slight overkill in Adelaide given there are minimal stations where multiple lines (or even rail & tram) connect.

For what its worth Adelaide has already done a pretty solid job integrating their journey data into API's that can be used. Google is a good example, where clicking on a bus stop on Google maps already has bus and train arrival data. This data is already being used by developers in other Apps, and is a good example of government making data available and the private sector doing what they need to do with it.

Rebranding Adelaide Metro as a whole will only go so far when the physical bus, rail & tram networks themselves are largely unintegrated.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 am

Props for giving it a go, and identifying some of the issues. Not sure the current branding "has become a meme", but it's certainly an incoherent mess.

My criticism of yours would be that it's a bit of a grab bag from other systems (the overhead signage doesn't match the other way finding signage, which doesn't match the branding, etc.) and that branding of a metro system is far far deeper than a logo and a few bits of signage. That's the result of jumping straight to a solution, instead of spending the time analysing and then planning. What are the requirements that are unique to Adelaide Metro? What are the pain points of the current system? Where is the current communication strategy work or not work? That's just a few questions that would be asked, and there's certainly many more.

(Good) design starts at the strategy stage, which informs the outcome, not the other way around.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by ginzahikari » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 am
Props for giving it a go, and identifying some of the issues. Not sure the current branding "has become a meme", but it's certainly an incoherent mess.

My criticism of yours would be that it's a bit of a grab bag from other systems (the overhead signage doesn't match the other way finding signage, which doesn't match the branding, etc.) and that branding of a metro system is far far deeper than a logo and a few bits of signage. That's the result of jumping straight to a solution, instead of spending the time analysing and then planning. What are the requirements that are unique to Adelaide Metro? What are the pain points of the current system? Where is the current communication strategy work or not work? That's just a few questions that would be asked, and there's certainly many more.

(Good) design starts at the strategy stage, which informs the outcome, not the other way around.
I understand the real process should involve identifying the problems, consulting the public and creating strategic solutions, but these are just some rough ideas I have in my head... I am aware that this needs further refinement, therefore I'm asking you guys for feedback...

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Eurostar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 am

I prefer something simple and easy to understand like:

Adelaide Public Transport (Metro Area)
South Australia Regional Public Transport (Rural)

Or

South Australian Transport Authority (SATA)