[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
waz94
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4201 Post by waz94 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:31 pm

I travel through the West Beach Rd\Tapleys Hill Road multiple times every day and there is absolutely no need (or will there ever be) and underpass at this intersection. I can think of many many many more intersections that require an overpass before that one.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4202 Post by Spotto » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:25 pm

Upcoming R2P Community Information Sessions at Polonia Reserve just posted on FB
CB32C855-008F-4A4D-AE00-4AC92B188465.png

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4203 Post by SBD » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:52 pm
As well as finishing the non stop corridor I think there is two intersections that could be upgraded simply and fast. Firstly an overpass/underpass at the intersection of West Beach Road/Tapleys Hill Road, preferably Tapleys Hill Road going over or under the intersection. Secondly an overpass/underpass at the intersection of Sir Donald Bradman Drive/Tapleys Hill Road , preferably Sir Donald Bradman Drive going under or over because of the river north of the junction.
DO you seriously thing that the second north-south freeway should be Tapleys Hill Road rather than Portrush Road, and more important than upgrade/replacement of Cross Road ? :shock:

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#4204 Post by kenget » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Eurostar wrote:
As well as finishing the non stop corridor I think there is two intersections that could be upgraded simply and fast. Firstly an overpass/underpass at the intersection of West Beach Road/Tapleys Hill Road, preferably Tapleys Hill Road going over or under the intersection. Secondly an overpass/underpass at the intersection of Sir Donald Bradman Drive/Tapleys Hill Road , preferably Sir Donald Bradman Drive going under or over because of the river north of the junction.
DO you seriously thing that the second north-south freeway should be Tapleys Hill Road rather than Portrush Road, and more important than upgrade/replacement of Cross Road ? :shock:
The impression I got from their post was not that it was more important but basically that it was an easier intersection to upgrade. Given there is more room around the airport fringe, it most likely would be easier, this doesnt mean that it should be upgraded just for the sake of it though.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4205 Post by Eurostar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:26 am

If you've ever drove on Tapleys Hill Road on a weekday you'll know that it gets just busy and congested. Especially in between Clark Terrace and Glenelg.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#4206 Post by kymbosa » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:59 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:26 am
If you've ever drove on Tapleys Hill Road on a weekday you'll know that it gets just busy and congested. Especially in between Clark Terrace and Glenelg.
I agree with you around the Glenelg area, but this could be fixed by placing a tunnel/bridge at Anzac Hwy.

That’s all that needs fixing on that road.

ChillyPhilly

#4207 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 am

Or public transport connections could be improved.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#4208 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:18 am

Or people need to lay off the red Mitsubishi pills and stop dreaming pie in the sky stuff thay will never happen.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nort

#4209 Post by Nort » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 am

Has anyone seen any concepts of how a trench or underpasses would work for the remaining section? In a 2km stretch you have Henley Beach Road, Sir Donald Bradman, James Congdon/the Bike Route, and Richmond Road. All four of them at least will need to stay traversable in any solution.

Getting more and more convinced a tunnel is the only real option.

Edit: remembered to check the scoping report, and the preferred 2014 strategy was short tunnels at Henley Beach and Sir Donald Bradman with an intersection at James Congdon.

rhino

#4210 Post by rhino » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:49 am

Nort wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 am
Edit: remembered to check the scoping report, and the preferred 2014 strategy was short tunnels at Henley Beach and Sir Donald Bradman with an intersection at James Congdon.
Intersection? Perhaps Interchange?
cheers,
Rhino

Nort

#4211 Post by Nort » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:28 am

rhino wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:49 am
Nort wrote:
That too :p

Scoping report suggested it would be the main route into the city from that section of South Road. Curious how they would avoid massive backups since it already gets backed up with people waiting to turn right off it towards the city.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#4212 Post by alexczarn » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:28 am
rhino wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:49 am
Nort wrote:
That too :p

Scoping report suggested it would be the main route into the city from that section of South Road. Curious how they would avoid massive backups since it already gets backed up with people waiting to turn right off it towards the city.
If it was a simple interchange to the N/S Mwy, a la the Hahndorf M1 interchange, then it would work. And then have the traffic coming from the north channeled down Port Road and Henley Beach Rd, as that is already grade separated at James Congdon.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#4213 Post by Hooligan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:26 am
I have, many times in fact. I still don't think we a 6 lane freeway there though, guy.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4214 Post by rev » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:08 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Eurostar wrote:
I don't think thats what is being suggested.
Along with connecting a finished nsm to the sef, the next thing that should be addressed is road quality in general for our main arterials.
Imho we wont see the nsm finished before 2030, so they should start on improving main arterials asap.
Sir Donald Bradman is a joke. At the very least the surface needs serious work, at most they should turn it largely into an almost non stop express route into the CBD, remove side street access, on street parking, and only have intersections or a series of overpass/underpass with other main arterials, and obviously access to/from the NSM. The aiport is a huge contributor to the state economy, should be linked to the NSM in the most express way.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4215 Post by Eurostar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm

If I recall the main goal is to allow non stop travel from Gawler to Old Noarlunga and vice versa. The many pedestrian crossings should be removed and replaced with pedestrian overpasses, this would allow pedestrians to safely cross the road and eliminate stopping points for motorists.