[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#496 Post by citywatcher » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:27 pm

SRJ wrote:This has nothing to do with A political Party. At least Liberal got us a tennis tournament. Rann, weatherall and the labor cronies couldn’t do that in their 12 years in office. In fact we lost our last tournament when they were in power. Even if the upgrade is not what we hoped at least it has got us an international tournament that we can build the stadium around. Just enjoy the tennis being back in your city.
You competely contradicted yourself after your first sentence. Nothing political then went into a rant about politics.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#497 Post by madelaide » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 am

Okay, this is my final offer.

As a football/rugby pitch requires a lot of soil, building over the train lines is both complicated and time consuming. Tennis centre / events venue is a much easier build. Turn current tennis spot into Memorial Drive Aquatic Centre, retaining current stands for diving and swimming. Use Next Gen as the integrated fitness and wellness centre.

This combination should maximise day to day civic use, large scale events and usage of the riverbank connectivity.
Attachments
Adelaide Sports Precinct 2020.jpg

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#498 Post by how good is he » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:57 am

You would think any new SA acquatic centre would be built at its current site at North Adelaide...especially if the Fed. Govt and/or Crows part/wholly fund it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#499 Post by rev » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:41 pm

madelaide wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 am

As a football/rugby pitch requires a lot of soil, building over the train lines is both complicated and time consuming. Tennis centre / events venue is a much easier build. Turn current tennis spot into Memorial Drive Aquatic Centre, retaining current stands for diving and swimming. Use Next Gen as the integrated fitness and wellness centre.

This combination should maximise day to day civic use, large scale events and usage of the riverbank connectivity.
A new rectangular stadium, should and probably would be, up to international standards that would allow Adelaide to host Asian Cup and World Cup Qualifier matches, if not also World Cup matches. Wouldn't be able to fit a suitably sized stadium with the necessary facilities and infrastructure in that location. 2026 FIFA World Cup group round matches stadium capacity minimum is 40,000. It's not a requirement that they are going to revise down for Adelaide. That's just one of FIFA's requirements. I'll tell you now, Australia will in the not too distant future host a World Cup.

Cute little stadium pic you put in though, too bad it's not to scale.

There probably will never be a stadium of any kind built over the rail yards, since that whole area is now the bio-med precinct. A new WCH is going to be built in the area, the SAHMRI 2 is U/C, and that land will probably be kept as a reserve for future RAH expansion.
At the very most they might expand the convention centre behind the SAMHRI/UNI buildings.

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#500 Post by madelaide » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:41 pm
madelaide wrote:

A new rectangular stadium, should and probably would be, up to international standards that would allow Adelaide to host Asian Cup and World Cup Qualifier matches, if not also World Cup matches. Wouldn't be able to fit a suitably sized stadium with the necessary facilities and infrastructure in that location. 2026 FIFA World Cup group round matches stadium capacity minimum is 40,000. It's not a requirement that they are going to revise down for Adelaide. That's just one of FIFA's requirements. I'll tell you now, Australia will in the not too distant future host a World Cup.

There probably will never be a stadium of any kind built over the rail yards, since that whole area is now the bio-med precinct. A new WCH is going to be built in the area, the SAHMRI 2 is U/C, and that land will probably be kept as a reserve for future RAH expansion.
At the very most they might expand the convention centre behind the SAMHRI/UNI buildings.

Thanks rev. I agree with everything you wrote. Could you please quickly just update the image with your revised plans for the precinct and upload. I want to put a serious contribution to a name.

rev

#501 Post by rev » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:34 pm

madelaide wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 pm
Thanks rev. I agree with everything you wrote. Could you please quickly just update the image with your revised plans for the precinct and upload. I want to put a serious contribution to a name.
I don't have plans, I have an opinion. My opinion, what I'd like to see happen, is well documented on here.
I'm not going to post it again in this thread as this thread is now about the redevelopment/roof work going on at the tennis stadium.
I also don't want to be a part of any process formal or informal.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#502 Post by Ho Really » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:51 pm

madelaide wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:41 pm
madelaide wrote:

madelaide, do a cut and paste of Hindmarsh (Coopers) Stadium using the same scale. Twirl it around so it slants the same as Adelaide Oval. I've done this before and you'll see that if you want a 40,000 seat FIFA sanctioned stadium it will not fit. Remember you need enough room around it for concourses and for evacuations in emergency situations.

rev, mentioned elsewhere that a stadium should be built east of Adelaide Oval. A perefect location would be the University Oval. Whether they'd be happy we don't know. Of course that is parklands, and you know what happens if we build on parklands.

The idea of a swim centre in place of the current tennis stadium is a novel one. Not something that should be discarded because it would be big enough. Swimming attracts smaller crowds than tennis so it would be perfect. I still think a sunken centre court will bring Memorial Drive to the 8,000-10,000 seat mark. Plenty for tennis in Adelaide and for any other court sport.

As for building over the rail lines, rev is correct. It seems too late for anything in the vicinity of the NRAH. We can forget about sports ending up there unless it is close to the Morphett Street Bridge, which I would think should be room for more convention/exhibition space. Anyhow, something should be built in that location, whatever it is there is room for it.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#503 Post by Norman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:30 pm

I think a 25-30,000 seat rectangular stadium would be sufficient for Adelaide and Adelaide United. Adelaide Oval can host the bigger games, including the games for the world cup. Anyone who has been to a soccer game at Suncorp Stadium can tell you that 8000 people in a 50,000 seat stadium is terrible. Absolutely no atmosphere.

Ho Really

#504 Post by Ho Really » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:20 am

Norman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:30 pm
I think a 25-30,000 seat rectangular stadium would be sufficient for Adelaide and Adelaide United. Adelaide Oval can host the bigger games, including the games for the world cup. Anyone who has been to a soccer game at Suncorp Stadium can tell you that 8000 people in a 50,000 seat stadium is terrible. Absolutely no atmosphere.
Sure a 30,000 seat stadium would be OK for Adelaide United, but it won't be sufficient for any FIFA sanctioned tournament. Adelaide Oval is not for soccer fullstop. No World Cup. The reverse is true for Suncorp when they get 30,000 to 50,000 people.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#505 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:28 am

Ho Really wrote:
Norman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:30 pm
Sure a 30,000 seat stadium would be OK for Adelaide United, but it won't be sufficient for any FIFA sanctioned tournament. Adelaide Oval is not for soccer fullstop. No World Cup. The reverse is true for Suncorp when they get 30,000 to 50,000 people.

Cheers
That rarely happens outside rugby events though. I can't see Adelaide being able to justify a second massive stadium. A boutique rectangular stadium is what we need.

Honestly, I'd even be happy with a renovated Hindmarsh Stadium with more seats, more cover, extra change rooms for the women and a second screen.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#506 Post by SRJ » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am

I love Hindmarsh stadium and its location. Nothing better then grabbing a beer at the joiners before and after the game. I would love to see the corners filled in with seats to add more capacity. The other grounds in the a league are too big and lack atmosphere because they are 3/4 empty.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#507 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:42 am

Photo taken on 13 December 2019.
Attachments
20191213_142656.jpg
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#508 Post by madelaide » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 pm

SRJ wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am
I love Hindmarsh stadium and its location. Nothing better then grabbing a beer at the joiners before and after the game. I would love to see the corners filled in with seats to add more capacity. The other grounds in the a league are too big and lack atmosphere because they are 3/4 empty.
I agree. There is no stadium in Australia like it. I know as I've attended games in most cities. Hindmarsh is pure football, close to the action. The public transport options are pretty decent too... trams and trains within walking distance and a couple of buses pass nearby too. I proposed a redeveloped Hindmarsh stadium concept to Bruno Marveggio a few years ago, a rough draft (I also posted on this site to the expected amount of criticism and silence). Bruno advised that they were 'looking to expand much bigger and more central'. Bruno is no longer associated with the club. Perhaps the new owners have formulated a long term plan.
Attachments
COOPERS STADIUM Future.jpg

claybro

#509 Post by claybro » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 pm

I don't think we should contemplate trying to shoehorn a square field stadium into the Memorial drive site. Surely though a decent undercover arena for tennis and basketball and other one off events is warranted. Beverly is a joke of a location for basketball, and the new upgrade here is a bit of a half arsed effort. Tennis, basketball and some events would make Memorial Drive a year round venue. Soccer/ rugby could have their own venue, maybe reconfigure some of the corner of the golf course, or in that pathetic park of mallee scrub on the old Water corp depot on port road at Thebarton opposite the barracks.

rev

#510 Post by rev » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:13 pm

I'm telling you guys, the best location is east of Adelaide Oval, Park 12. It's an almost identical scenario to Adelaide Oval's redevelopment. If they go ahead with that concept image of a redeveloped tennis stadium/indoor arena, and upgrade the surrounding area in general, along with a rectangular stadium on Park 12, that would create a wider sporting precinct and attraction. Just like Adelaide Oval has a museum of sorts, so could the tennis stadium and new soccer stadium.

Throw in a foot bridge that would take you to Victoria Drive/King William Road/Torrens Parade Ground. Would drive redevelopment of the river front on that side of The City Bridge & Parade Ground vicinity and would further justify bringing the tram further north. Plenty of room in the southern parklands for Uni Oval users to relocate to.
It would basically be an upgrade of a suburban grade oval. Could also offset the whinging and moaning by improving the parklands overall.