[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4291 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:23 am

aceman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:19 pm
can someone please explain how entry and exit points etc are going to work at say Henley beach road?? how on earth can u get on or off the motorway tunnel or whatever it is without having to demolish existing structures nearby?? sorry I'm having trouble getting my head around it..
They'll consolidate interchanges like they've done with the Superway/T2T. You'll likely drive along the existing South Road and there will be entry/exit points along the way.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4292 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:56 am

I did this back in July. I'd change one thing, which is relocate the South Road surface/service road on the east of the corridor south of Henley Beach Road. But this is a decent representation of what a 'short tunnel' below Henley Beach Road could look like.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#4293 Post by Nort » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:35 am

rev wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:56 pm
Nort wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:17 am
rev wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 am
Still doesn't justify extreme costs for a tunnel, nor saving it.
If those businesses are relying on one show a week at Thebby to stay afloat, then those owners should either 1) pull their fingers out and build their business presence, or 3) get out of running a business.
The rest of the state shouldnt have to fork out more money so a handful of businesses can stay afloat. Its not the tax payers responsibility or obligation.
The whole justification for the South Road works is to make things better for business, so it's entirely relevant to consider the negative effects of a development as well as the positive.
Its to improve road transport and efficiency, it's not justified by some small cafes on Henley Beach road.
It's explicitly to improve road transport and efficiency for business, not primarily for commuters. With that being the case taking into account the impact on local businesses is entirely part of that.

It feels like you're being intentionally obtuse at this point, I'm not even arguing that the benefits don't outweigh the costs, just that you can't consider one without the other.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#4294 Post by Listy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:31 am

aceman wrote:
can someone please explain how entry and exit points etc are going to work at say Henley beach road?? how on earth can u get on or off the motorway tunnel or whatever it is without having to demolish existing structures nearby?? sorry I'm having trouble getting my head around it..
95-99% of traffic in the area is either N-S or E-W, so the key concern will be grade separating HB & South roads. I've never noticed much traffic using that intersection to turn left or right, the existing turn lanes only hold about 10 cars and even in peak hour they don't overflow much, so I'd expect a compact intersection designed more or less the same as the new Grange Rd T2T one will work just fine. An alternative might also to be to build better/new slip lanes where HB road passes under James Congdon Drive, and let traffic use James Congdon Dr to access South Rd, as it is only a few hundred metres away.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4295 Post by Spotto » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:08 pm

aceman wrote:
There won’t be interchanges at every single intersection. Take the T2T, there isn’t an entrance from Torrens Road to the motorway or vice versa, or for Grange Road. The interchanges are only there for the numbered arterial roads. There aren’t any on the Darlington Project only at each end. Regency Road on R2P is the exception since it’s halfway between Port Road and Grand Junction Road (which isn’t even a full interchange).

If we get primarily a lowered motorway it will likely have interchanges at Don Bradman (A6 route, Airport and CBD access), Anzac Highway (A5 route) and Cross Road (A3 primary east-west route, and SEF access). Certainly no more than that.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#4296 Post by aceman » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:47 pm

ok that's starting to make sense now, so in the remaining section left it's most likely only going to be;

SDB drive, full access
anzac highway, full access
cross road, full access

Henley beach road no,
Richmond rd no,
james congdon no,
daws rd no,

what are peoples opinion on this am I close to the mark?

also quickly does sturt rd have direct access or not?

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4297 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:04 pm

aceman wrote:ok that's starting to make sense now, so in the remaining section left it's most likely only going to be;

SDB drive, full access
anzac highway, full access
cross road, full access

Henley beach road no,
Richmond rd no,
james congdon no,
daws rd no,

what are peoples opinion on this am I close to the mark?

Henley Beach Road - no
Sir Donald Bradman Drive - yes, for city and airport access (ramps on northern side)
James Congdon Rd - yes (ramps on southern side)
Daws Road - no.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#4298 Post by d3v310per » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:47 pm

aceman wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:47 pm
Sturt Road doesn't connect directly to the lowered motorway. It does connect to the surface South Road

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4299 Post by Spotto » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:05 pm

aceman wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:47 pm
The primary access to the lowered motorway at Darlington is at either end once the full project is complete. But Sturt Road isn't included.

Travelling southbound, you will be able to enter at the start of the motorway next to Quinlan Avenue, at the Ayliffes/Shepherds Hill/MSR intersection (Access from MSR or Ayliffes, not Shepherds Hill), or at the on-ramp next to Flinders Drive. Northbound you can only enter at the very start, the massive bridge over the Southern Expressway.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#4300 Post by Furyan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:52 pm

As reported on 9 News Adelaide on Sunday:
The transport minister Stephen Knoll has delayed any final decision for the N-S corridor for at least another 6 months.
They will employ tunnelling experts to assess the area for viability including what soil types are underground.
More experts more reports more delays. :wallbash:

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4301 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Furyan wrote:As reported on 9 News Adelaide on Sunday:
The transport minister Stephen Knoll has delayed any final decision for the N-S corridor for at least another 6 months.
They will employ tunnelling experts to assess the area for viability including what soil types are underground.
Soil testing is one thing Labor did already do.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#4302 Post by Mr Smith » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Furyan wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:52 pm
Yeah complete BS. Kick the can down the road. This mob have no clue.
At the very least an extension of the Southern expressway from Tonsley to north of Daws Road should be considered as in under 6 months Darlo will be finished and work at the southern end will dry up, potentially for years. Surely that section could be dealt with similar to Regency to Pym with an overpass over Daws Rd and at grade or lowered trench south to Tonsley.

The fantasy of tunneling that section is engineering overkill and a complete WOFTAM IMHO.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#4303 Post by aceman » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:15 pm

so they've just re worded what they said 6 months ago??

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4304 Post by rev » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:07 am

Furyan wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:52 pm
People are surprised??

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#4305 Post by kymbosa » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Some good news;

As part of the Darlington Upgrade Project, another stage of the new motorway is opening to traffic, providing improved connectivity throughout the project.

From 8pm, Thursday 19 until 6am, Friday, 20 December, the following traffic restrictions will apply:
• The Southern Expressway (lowered motorway) will be closed to traffic in both directions. Motorists will be required to use the Main South Road surface roads.
• Intermittent lane closures and speed restrictions will be in place on the Ayliffes Road bridge.

Following the switch, the following traffic arrangements will be in place from Southern Expressway to Ayliffes via motorway northbound:
• Northbound Southern Expressway traffic travelling to Ayliffes Road will need to position themselves in the left lane of the Southern Expressway (motorway) to exit to the Ayliffes Road bridge.

The lowered motorway will now be named Southern Expressway with signage that refers to the “Southern Expressway” installed as part of this switch.

This information is from the DPTI Facebook site.
CF194F38-FFD1-4A04-9470-BC1844808078.jpeg