[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#916 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:34 am

I hope I'm wrong, but this is what I've observed so far.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#917 Post by SBD » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:02 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:34 am
I hope I'm wrong, but this is what I've observed so far.

The bend in the median in your diagram suggests you are still looking at imagery of the old bridge.

The new bridges over the Port River Expressway appear to be the same width as at Wing Street which has three lanes each way, with emergency lanes on both sides of each carriageway.

Your drawing also seems to have a lot of wasted space to the left (right side of the picture) of the southbound lane over the bridge.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#918 Post by Hooligan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:55 am

Two lanes continuing south while the left lane is dedicated to turning onto Prexy makes sense to me.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#919 Post by d3v310per » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:43 am

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#920 Post by Hooligan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:51 pm

So once the superway closure is over, i guess there will be a closure at the northern end at some stage?

Signature removed 

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#921 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:51 pm
So once the superway closure is over, i guess there will be a closure at the northern end at some stage?
There's no need to close PWR northbound, it would also be impossible without stopping all B double and bigger trucks from entering or leaving Adelaide

SBD

#922 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:09 pm
Hooligan wrote:
There's no need to close PWR northbound, it would also be impossible without stopping all B double and bigger trucks from entering or leaving Adelaide
I am confused by the intent to have an open day in February before it opens.

After this closure, northbound from the Superway and possibly from Port River Expressway should be very close to being able to open. Waterloo Corner interchange looks complete, and since it is already being used for access to the Waste Water Treatment Plant, I suspect northbound (at least) at Bolivar Road is about done too.

The Northern Interchange needs to have the PWR-> Northern Expressway link broken to complete the southbound connection, and it will not be put back, so those northbound entrances are needed to replace it.

Apart from the open day, I'd expect northbound to be open (with reduced speed until everything settles in, but still quicker than current) within a week of the end of this closure. Southbound still needs major work at both ends, as well as eastbound PRE and possibly more work at Bolivar Road/Hodgson Road.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#923 Post by Hooligan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
Sorry i should have been clearer, i meant a closure of the PWR to Nexy slip lane.

Signature removed 

SBD

#924 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:21 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
Sorry i should have been clearer, i meant a closure of the PWR to Nexy slip lane.
It has to close eventually, but I can't see it being more than a weekend before northbound NC opens from at least Bolivar Road.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#925 Post by Hooligan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:23 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:03 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Hooligan wrote:

After this closure, northbound from the Superway and possibly from Port River Expressway should be very close to being able to open. Waterloo Corner interchange looks complete, and since it is already being used for access to the Waste Water Treatment Plant, I suspect northbound (at least) at Bolivar Road is about done too.

The Northern Interchange needs to have the PWR-> Northern Expressway link broken to complete the southbound connection, and it will not be put back, so those northbound entrances are needed to replace it.

Apart from the open day, I'd expect northbound to be open (with reduced speed until everything settles in, but still quicker than current) within a week of the end of this closure. Southbound still needs major work at both ends, as well as eastbound PRE and possibly more work at Bolivar Road/Hodgson Road.
Waterloo corner interchange has north bound access. The roundabout doesnt look very friendly to B doubles though.

Signature removed 

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#926 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:33 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:21 pm
Hooligan wrote:
Goodsy wrote:

It has to close eventually, but I can't see it being more than a weekend before northbound NC opens from at least Bolivar Road.
why does it need to close? the northbound section of PWR at the interchange is finished

SBD

#927 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:23 pm
SBD wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:03 pm
Goodsy wrote:

Waterloo corner interchange has north bound access. The roundabout doesnt look very friendly to B doubles though.
I can't see B-doubles, and almost certainly not road trains being permitted at Waterloo Corner Road. This seems odd with the developments in Direk near Heaslip Road. Maybe it is bigger than it feels. Bolivar Road seems to be designed for trucks to be able to wind up to freeway speed before merging.

SBD

#928 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:44 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:33 pm
SBD wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:21 pm
Hooligan wrote:

why does it need to close? the northbound section of PWR at the interchange is finished
The end state has no right turn provided from northbound PWR to northbound NExy. It has to close permanently some time in the next two months. The southbound NExy to NC needs to be built across the alignment of that ramp before it can open.

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#929 Post by Bacon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:44 pm
The end state has no right turn provided from northbound PWR to northbound NExy. It has to close permanently some time in the next two months. The southbound NExy to NC needs to be built across the alignment of that ramp before it can open.
It's already built, all they need to do move the barriers around.

SBD

#930 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Bacon wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 pm
SBD wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:44 pm
It's already built, all they need to do move the barriers around.
Really? I hadn't noticed crossing the new road surface on the temporary slip road. I had noticed that the branch off of the slip road southbound is there, but thought there was still work west of the bridge once the slip road is closed.