[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#946 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:25 pm

Is there going to be a south bound exit from the Port River Expressway onto the Superway, when this is complete? This would be the quickest way for anyone from the LeFevre Peninsula to get to the CBD and beyond including freight , theres a lot of industry up that way and having trucks avoid Grand Junction and Port Road is needed.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#947 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm

TorrensSA wrote:Is there going to be a south bound exit from the Port River Expressway onto the Superway, when this is complete? This would be the quickest way for anyone from the LeFevre Peninsula to get to the CBD and beyond including freight , theres a lot of industry up that way and having trucks avoid Grand Junction and Port Road is needed.
Sure will be.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#948 Post by SBD » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm
TorrensSA wrote:Is there going to be a south bound exit from the Port River Expressway onto the Superway, when this is complete? This would be the quickest way for anyone from the LeFevre Peninsula to get to the CBD and beyond including freight , theres a lot of industry up that way and having trucks avoid Grand Junction and Port Road is needed.
Sure will be.
Part of the eventual PWR->superway ramp was used as the interim superway->Salisbury ramp when the new bridge over PWR was opened before the final ramp/bridge replaced it. It looks like it might open at the same time as the traffic switch to the final eastbound carriageway, as it branches from that.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#949 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Good its included, this is Adelaide after all and that connection is not cheap, its important but expensive. Adelaide is known for stupid decisions like the one way expressway lol. Now all we need is to finish the North - South motorway and build a connection to the SE Freeway.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#950 Post by how good is he » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Yes I agree.. and in 10-15 years & with 10-15 billion it should be all done.
Last edited by how good is he on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#951 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:50 pm

Looks like the next traffic switch will take place over the next week. When the Superway reopens the Port River Expressway closes for a week or so. I’m assuming this is so the expressway can be realigned.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#952 Post by mawsonguy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm

Notice dated 2 January 2020 has been published in the SA Government Gazette under the Geographical Names Act assigning the following names to their respective features along the Northern Connector;
  • HARRY TAYLOR WARRITJA BRIDGE to the bridge at the Bolivar Interchange
  • KAWANTA WAMA BRIDGE to the bridge at the Waterloo Corner Interchange
  • TAPA MARTINTHI YALA to the shared-use path adjacent to the Northern Connector
The intention was previously announced but this makes it official.

Any idea of the significance of these names?

SBD

#953 Post by SBD » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:00 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm
Notice dated 2 January 2020 has been published in the SA Government Gazette under the Geographical Names Act assigning the following names to their respective features along the Northern Connector;
  • HARRY TAYLOR WARRITJA BRIDGE to the bridge at the Bolivar Interchange
  • KAWANTA WAMA BRIDGE to the bridge at the Waterloo Corner Interchange
  • TAPA MARTINTHI YALA to the shared-use path adjacent to the Northern Connector
The intention was previously announced but this makes it official.

Any idea of the significance of these names?
Tapa is the Kaurna word for path. Tapa Pariara is the name of the path along the rivers in Gawler. https://www.walkingsa.org.au/walk/find- ... iara-path/

ChillyPhilly

#954 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:42 am

Northbound elevated Motorway has been resurfaced, and is now consistently three lanes from Regency Road to the Southern Interchange. The emergency stopping lane around the on-ramp from Grand Junction Road has been removed to enable this.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#955 Post by aceman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:42 am
Northbound elevated Motorway has been resurfaced, and is now consistently three lanes from Regency Road to the Southern Interchange. The emergency stopping lane around the on-ramp from Grand Junction Road has been removed to enable this.
I could never understand why it went from 3 to 2 suddenly the way it did

ChillyPhilly

#956 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 am

aceman wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Agreed, but it seems to be a common thing across SA projects. The southern end of T2T is like this as well.

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#957 Post by aaronjameslange » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:48 am

aceman wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Because 3lanes of the superway + 2 additional lanes from the grand junction onramp = 5 lanes merging into 2 lanes to go over prexy bridge in a very short distance. It must have been deemed safer to choke the superway to 2 lanes, so there were only 4 lanes merging into 2. I always expected that when the NC was completed that it would be changed to 3 continuous lanes, I'm glad that this has been done

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#958 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:40 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:48 am
aceman wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Because 3lanes of the superway + 2 additional lanes from the grand junction onramp = 5 lanes merging into 2 lanes to go over prexy bridge in a very short distance. It must have been deemed safer to choke the superway to 2 lanes, so there were only 4 lanes merging into 2. I always expected that when the NC was completed that it would be changed to 3 continuous lanes, I'm glad that this has been done
I must admit, as silly as it was having 3 merge into 2 there, I don't recall ever seeing any build up of traffic as a result of it. Nonetheless, it's great that it's now 3 lanes all the way through, which makes sense as the road evolves into it's upcoming new set up.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#959 Post by Eurostar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 pm

New 90 speed limit sign on Port Wakefield Road on southbound side between Waterloo Corner Road and Bolivar Road

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#960 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am

Traffic was tame enough this morning to utilise the southbound lanes of the Superway this morning.

The on-ramp from Salisbury Highway will eventually be reduced to one lane (it's temporarily set up for 2 lanes for now until the northern connector opens), with the lane form Salisbury Highway providing a 4th lane on the Superway until the Grand Junction Rd exit.

So it looks the 3 lanes from the Northern Connector will connect seemlessly with 3 lanes on the Superway without the need to merge.