News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#736 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 pm

rubberman wrote:Also, while we're at it, may I put my hand up for modern fast loading 3 door buses.

We had 3 door loading in the days of bus conductors, and European (outside the UK) practice is pretty much 100% low floor, 3 door loading for non-artics, and up to 5 doors for artics.

These modern buses load and unload fast. That not only speeds up the trip, but reduces the number of actual stopping places required in the CBD.
How does it reduce the amount of stops a bus needs to make in the city?

Any additional doors will mean a sacrifice in the amount of seats on the bus. I don't think that will suit a bus operation that travels long distances into the suburbs, but rather areas of high density and short trips such as in European cities.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#737 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 am
There are no more buses from the 80s... They should not be on the road more than 25 years, making the oldest bus from 1995. All buses are now air-conditioned and 98% are wheelchair accessible.
Correct. The last of the SL202's are the last of the non-accessible buses. They'll be retired by the end of the year.

Interestingly the first generation wheelchair accessible buses (the horrid midis that arrived in 1996) have already been retired.

I feel old now - I remember as a kid the SL202's being brand new and looking very sharp with the speed stripes.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#738 Post by PeFe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:41 pm

Come on bite the bullet ! Get rid of single ticket purchases! All Metrocard!! Speed up Adelaide buses!

Melbourne has now coped for years with no single ticket purchases and tourists are still going there!

Sydney can't make up its mind ( but don't try boarding a Sydney bus that has Opal only during peak....you will never know it varies from district to district)

I was on an Adelaide bus a few years ago when six people got on with no Metrocard.....and they all had no idea of the fares....all the other passengers on the bus including me, groaned "we are going to be here forever"

ml69
Legendary Member!

#739 Post by ml69 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:56 am

Just wondering ... aren’t multi all Obahn buses multiple door boarding?

So therefore in these buses, there is a ticket machine next to each door?

rubberman

#740 Post by rubberman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 pm
rubberman wrote:Also, while we're at it, may I put my hand up for modern fast loading 3 door buses.

We had 3 door loading in the days of bus conductors, and European (outside the UK) practice is pretty much 100% low floor, 3 door loading for non-artics, and up to 5 doors for artics.

These modern buses load and unload fast. That not only speeds up the trip, but reduces the number of actual stopping places required in the CBD.
How does it reduce the amount of stops a bus needs to make in the city?

Any additional doors will mean a sacrifice in the amount of seats on the bus. I don't think that will suit a bus operation that travels long distances into the suburbs, but rather areas of high density and short trips such as in European cities.
I meant it reduces the number of physical stop locations.

If each bus is only 30 seconds from pulling in to pulling out (at the most), then each stopping place can accommodate more buses per hour than a typical 1-2 minutes as at present with front loaders. This was the situation with the old MTT buses in the days of 3 doors and conductors. No problems with lack of seats. Fewer stop locations in the CBD. Those buses were high floor with steps too. So, even with those disadvantages, those 3 door diesels loaded faster and had plenty of seats.

rubberman

#741 Post by rubberman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:21 pm

ml69 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:56 am
Just wondering ... aren’t multi all Obahn buses multiple door boarding?

So therefore in these buses, there is a ticket machine next to each door?
Yes. I was putting my hand up for this to be extended.

ChillyPhilly

#742 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 pm

I also would love to see more multi-door loading where appropriate.

One thing I advocate for is for buses to start taking card payments.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#743 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:16 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 pm
Norman wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 am
There are no more buses from the 80s... They should not be on the road more than 25 years, making the oldest bus from 1995. All buses are now air-conditioned and 98% are wheelchair accessible.
Correct. The last of the SL202's are the last of the non-accessible buses. They'll be retired by the end of the year.

Interestingly the first generation wheelchair accessible buses (the horrid midis that arrived in 1996) have already been retired.

I feel old now - I remember as a kid the SL202's being brand new and looking very sharp with the speed stripes.
That's the bus type I was referring to, and based on the interior I'm shocked they're from anywhere later than 1985

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#744 Post by Goodsy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:03 pm

saw this on Reddit (https://old.reddit.com/r/Adelaide/comme ... _the_blue/)

Please tell me this is a joke and not a new livery

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#745 Post by ginzahikari » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:03 pm
saw this on Reddit (https://old.reddit.com/r/Adelaide/comme ... _the_blue/)

Please tell me this is a joke and not a new livery
The livery is surely a disaster, but the other new features are worth a mention - the digital info system (which I doubt will maintain for long) and the USB ports.
But as Stephan Knoll said 'these buses will hopefully change people's impression of public transport and draw more passengers' I'm sure that's the wrong approach and the whole bus system should be redesigned instead to increase patronage.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#746 Post by OlympusAnt » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:39 pm

that livery was designed by the intern who just learnt Photoshop and can't resize a layer
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Nathan

#747 Post by Nathan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 pm

I've thought that an all red (or primarily red with some subtle trims) would be a smart direction, but... not like that. Not the yellow like that, and not the comically oversized logo.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#748 Post by Goodsy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#749 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:54 pm

So after 20 years of our buses looking like the old Tri-skills buses, they now look like a hot mess.

Also I wonder how long will the USB ports last. I note the ones on the Sydney Metro have already stopped working.

Nathan

#750 Post by Nathan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:54 pm
So after 20 years of our buses looking like the old Tri-skills buses, they now look like a hot mess.

Also I wonder how long will the USB ports last. I note the ones on the Sydney Metro have already stopped working.
Yeah, finally install a heap of USB-A ports just as the switch to USB-C finally hits a turning point. Would have been better off with Qi wireless pads.

And the livery is even worse than that original shot. The yellow on the front, the weird swoop between the red and white at the back. We've now got 3 different bus liveries, 2 different trains, and 2 different trams. Even if they standardised on one awful one, it'd be better than 7 awful ones.