[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#1006 Post by aaronjameslange » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 am

The new WCR roundabout to motorway is bigger than the rest of the northern expressway ones, so I dunno why people are saying it's smaller. I saw a b double turning to go over the WCR bridge this morning, if I had time I would have followed him to watch him go around the roundabout.

Any vehicles going from Waterloo corner, Burton, direk, Edinburgh etc would either go:
North on Heaslip road then north on northern expressway ( 3 roundabouts at Penfield Rd, womma Rd and Heaslip Rd)
West on WCR then north on port Wakefield Rd (no roundabout)
West on WCR the south on pt Wakefield or motorway. (No roundabout)

Who is going to go west on WCR, then north on NS motorway then NE on Nexy?

Alternatively anyone coming from say Gepps X area, or anywhere south of globe derby, can use port Wakefield road until Bolivar, then use the motorway and Nexy. Why continue up 90km/h port Wakefield road all the way to the Nexy when you have a 6 lane 110km/h motorway instead

Yes, initially some people will not realise that port Wakefield -> Nexy cannot be done at the northern interchange anymore and will have to do a U-turn at the Virginia turn off, but long term this connection is not needed. Just as northbound PWR to southbound NC could easily be built with no flyovers, but why would you, no one is going to use it

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1007 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:22 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 am
The new WCR roundabout to motorway is bigger than the rest of the northern expressway ones, so I dunno why people are saying it's smaller. I saw a b double turning to go over the WCR bridge this morning, if I had time I would have followed him to watch him go around the roundabout.

Any vehicles going from Waterloo corner, Burton, direk, Edinburgh etc would either go:
North on Heaslip road then north on northern expressway ( 3 roundabouts at Penfield Rd, womma Rd and Heaslip Rd)
West on WCR then north on port Wakefield Rd (no roundabout)
West on WCR the south on pt Wakefield or motorway. (No roundabout)

Who is going to go west on WCR, then north on NS motorway then NE on Nexy?

Alternatively anyone coming from say Gepps X area, or anywhere south of globe derby, can use port Wakefield road until Bolivar, then use the motorway and Nexy. Why continue up 90km/h port Wakefield road all the way to the Nexy when you have a 6 lane 110km/h motorway instead

Yes, initially some people will not realise that port Wakefield -> Nexy cannot be done at the northern interchange anymore and will have to do a U-turn at the Virginia turn off, but long term this connection is not needed. Just as northbound PWR to southbound NC could easily be built with no flyovers, but why would you, no one is going to use it
According to RAVNet (the state government heavy vehicle route information), 26m B-doubles are permitted to go north on Heaslip Road, but 30m and 36.5m road trains and 35m B-triples are only allowed to go southbound. I don't know the reason, so have no idea if this could be going to change.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1008 Post by Hooligan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 am

There is sign on port Wakefield road saying the Nexy off ramp will close permanently on the 16th of February.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#1009 Post by mawsonguy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Posted on Facebook on 6 February 2020:
Join us at a community open day for The Northern Connector Project on Sunday, 16 February from 11am to 3pm.

What’s happening:
• A free sausage sizzle
• Refreshments available for purchase, with proceeds
going to local charities
• Free children’s activities
• Construction equipment on display
• Bus tours on South Australia’s first major concrete road

Unfortunately, no bike ride or walk of the connector ... hopefully they will reconsider.

mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1010 Post by mrumley02 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:07 am

This notification on the DPTI website
I imagine a FB post will appear Wednesday-ish

https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... NECTOR.pdf

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#1011 Post by aaronjameslange » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 am

Hooligan wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 am
There is sign on port Wakefield road saying the Nexy off ramp will close permanently on the 16th of February.
Unless im mistaken, I didn't see the word 'permanant' on the sign. I assume it's just a day closure to allow for tour busses for the open day to use the temp ramp to turn around

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1012 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:18 pm

aaronjameslange wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 am
Hooligan wrote:
Unless im mistaken, I didn't see the word 'permanant' on the sign. I assume it's just a day closure to allow for tour busses for the open day to use the temp ramp to turn around
I think it has to be the permanent closure - new road scheduled to open early March, and they need to complete the southbound lanes after that temporary ramp has closed.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1013 Post by Hooligan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
My mistake, i saw it again this morning and it reads "Nexy onramp closure, 16 feb use alt route"

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#1014 Post by aaronjameslange » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 am

Hooligan wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 am
aaronjameslange wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
My mistake, i saw it again this morning and it reads "Nexy onramp closure, 16 feb use alt route"
Apologies, from the website

The Northern Expressway on-ramp from Port Wakefield Road (northbound) will be permanently closed from 8pm, Sunday, 16 February. Location: The Northern Expressway on-ramp from Port Wakefield Road (northbound) will be closed and not reinstated

I think we will be using the detour for a little while as there is still plenty to do.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1015 Post by how good is he » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 pm

On ch 9 news tonight they said this will open in the 2nd week of March (and taken 3 years to complete).

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1016 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:01 am

Did anyone go to the open day yesterday?

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#1017 Post by Mr Messy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am

how good is he wrote:On ch 9 news tonight they said this will open in the 2nd week of March (and taken 3 years to complete).
And 3 prime ministers from announcement

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1018 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:01 am
Did anyone go to the open day yesterday?
Yes, there is plenty of video content on the Sensational Adelaide Facebook page.

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#1019 Post by Bacon » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Can someone please explain the arrangement with service centres in context of the Northern Connector?

Did the Government deem it necessary that at some point along the NC there should be a fuel stop, with the easiest way of achieving this designing the off ramp to go right past the OTR?

or

Did Peregrine pay the Government a lot of money to design the interchange with the OTR in mind?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1020 Post by Goodsy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Bacon wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:32 pm
Can someone please explain the arrangement with service centres in context of the Northern Connector?

Did the Government deem it necessary that at some point along the NC there should be a fuel stop, with the easiest way of achieving this designing the off ramp to go right past the OTR?

or

Did Peregrine pay the Government a lot of money to design the interchange with the OTR in mind?
Probably a whole host of things led to Bolivars design.

The Holiday Park
OTR
Bolivar treatment plant
White Horse Inn

weaving it through the Gordian knot was probably the cheapest option