News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4276 Post by PeFe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:56 am

Stefan wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:44 pm
Guys, this is a bit off topic but what do you think about the kiosk opening up at Woodville? It’s been sitting there empty for god knows how long now and I’ve always thought something could do well there, especially during peak hours. Thoughts?
This can happen after the Outer Harbor line has been electrified with the Woodville station now grade separated and a transit orientated development built around the station stretching to Port Road.

This is of course not forgetting the two tram lines that eminate from Woodville (West Lakes via West Lakes Boulevard and Henley Square via the old Grange train alignment with the tracks running around the golf course)

Ho Really

#4277 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:40 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:56 am
Stefan wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:44 pm
Guys, this is a bit off topic but what do you think about the kiosk opening up at Woodville? It’s been sitting there empty for god knows how long now and I’ve always thought something could do well there, especially during peak hours. Thoughts?
This can happen after the Outer Harbor line has been electrified with the Woodville station now grade separated and a transit orientated development built around the station stretching to Port Road.

This is of course not forgetting the two tram lines that eminate from Woodville (West Lakes via West Lakes Boulevard and Henley Square via the old Grange train alignment with the tracks running around the golf course)
Don't forget tram lines to Arndale and the QEH.

Yes, the Woodville station should go underground with tram tracks above. Of course only if the Grange line fails as heary rail, which I think will eventually happen. However if more housing density happens in and around the area then things might be different, but still the Grange heavy rail line should be underground in the proximity of Woodville Station.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4278 Post by Spotto » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:30 am

The buckets are out in force on Platform 6 this morning. ARS is overdue for a full revamp (should’ve been done in 2013 when the whole station was closed for electrification).
D5BDC058-0F79-4265-A5CB-9F0482FFA3E2.jpeg
(Posted from mobile sorry for rotation)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4279 Post by Norman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Why were the buckets out? It wasn't even raining...

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4280 Post by PD2/20 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:30 am
The buckets are out in force on Platform 6 this morning. ARS is overdue for a full revamp (should’ve been done in 2013 when the whole station was closed for electrification).
D5BDC058-0F79-4265-A5CB-9F0482FFA3E2.jpeg
(Posted from mobile sorry for rotation)
Norman wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:53 pm
Why were the buckets out? It wasn't even raining...
I would guess there was a water problem in the Convention Centre above, which was redeveloped around 2016 and required closure of platforms 5-9 for the construction of new support piers. The station saw a fairly major upgrade in 2012-15 which included the escalators to North Terrace, the new information centre, toilet upgrades and, I think, the present platform seating. New departure and advertising displays have also appeared in recent years. Spotto, what scope of revamp are you envisaging is required? There was only a complete closure of the station for a month in January 2013 while the crossovers near the new RAH were replaced and the electrification gantries were installed over the approach lines to all 9 platforms.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#4281 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Could it be something to do with the Intercontinental Adelaide ?

Fire Alarm
https://sapaging.com/incident?inc_id=FIRE2002160024
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

ChillyPhilly

#4282 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 pm

These leaks are frequent after heavy rain - poor drainage or leaky piping somewhere.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4283 Post by Spotto » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Saw some poor woman waiting on the outbound platform at Salisbury just now. Luckily we eventually convinced her that it doesn’t get used outside of peak times and to come over to Platform 2.

Which begs the question, why is Salisbury the only oddity on the whole network? None of the other interchange stations switch the trains over to the bus-adjacent platform. An attempt at convenience becomes confusion to passengers who aren’t in the know.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4284 Post by Eurostar » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:08 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:33 pm
Saw some poor woman waiting on the outbound platform at Salisbury just now. Luckily we eventually convinced her that it doesn’t get used outside of peak times and to come over to Platform 2.

Which begs the question, why is Salisbury the only oddity on the whole network? None of the other interchange stations switch the trains over to the bus-adjacent platform. An attempt at convenience becomes confusion to passengers who aren’t in the know.
If I recall Gawler , the main platform is used on weekends, same might apply for Blackwood too.

ChillyPhilly

#4286 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Spotto wrote:

Wow, I was there around the same time. 1.56pm train though.

From 7pm, only the main platform is used - apparently this makes the station easier to police and service (trouble is frequent, especially with two pubs neighbouring the station).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4288 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Spotto wrote:

A few other stations probably need a set up like Salisbury. Mawson Lakes, Elizabeth and the Showgrounds are three where this could be handy.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4289 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Spotto wrote:

A few other stations probably need a set up like Salisbury. Mawson Lakes, Elizabeth and the Showgrounds are three where this could be handy.
I get why you would do this for the stations on the Gawler Line, but how would it be an advantage at the Showground station? There's no bus interchange there.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4290 Post by Spotto » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:19 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 pm
Spotto wrote:

No my point was why do they do it at all at Salisbury? It just seems a bit silly to me.

They should absolutely not do it at more stations, it would really mess with the timetable. Funny thing about trains is they often have the outbound and inbound services come into stations at around the same times, so the whole timetable would be slowed down to try and prevent that from happening. You'd basically be implanting the problem of the Belair Line onto a double track, highly patronised line for no reason at all. Not to mention that Mawson Lakes is one of the busiest stations on the Gawler Line; outbound and inbound passengers currently have separate platforms and even then it's pretty full of people. Can you imagine the chaos and lack of any space if you put all of those people onto a single platform?