News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#661 Post by Eurostar » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:09 pm

A-Town wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 pm
The street parking looks like it'll be similar to what's now at King William Rd, Hyde Park.
I wonder how those low cars like Porsche etc handle the new parking spots

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#662 Post by Honey of a City » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:35 pm

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2020/ ... roadblock/

Are we the slowest laneway developers in the world, on top of the slowest carpark/plaza builders?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#663 Post by Eurostar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Are we the slowest laneway developers in the world, on top of the slowest carpark/plaza builders?
I hate to say this but I think Bank Street and Leigh Street should be fully reopened to cars, we should be focusing the money on our squares including Victoria Square.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#664 Post by TorrensSA » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm

The laneways host dozens of small businesses with outdoor dinning / drinking areas, being a lane it has shady and sunny areas the customer has choices, lanes are also more intimate and personal. The Squares should be upgraded but not at the expense of the laneways, the laneways bring in people and money the squares are good for lots of things like festivals, but they don't have any options for small businesses unless you close the roads, which ain't going to happen. We need laneways to gather with friends and family and squares to gather as a community, the parklands are also a wasted opportunity so much space so little is used.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#665 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:08 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm
Honey of a City wrote:

I hate to say this but I think Bank Street and Leigh Street should be fully reopened to cars, we should be focusing the money on our squares including Victoria Square.
Far out, what a digressive attitude...

ml69
Legendary Member!

#666 Post by ml69 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Honey of a City wrote:

Seriously??

I walk along the laneways everyday going to work. The recent laneways upgrades are a wonderful addition to our city. The more the better!

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#667 Post by A-Town » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Honey of a City wrote:

No, especially to Leigh St. But yes, Vic Square south is long overdue for an upgrade.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#668 Post by Eurostar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 pm

I think the East End strip should be extended into Rundle Mall, activate it at night time with restaurants, cafes, etc

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#669 Post by SRW » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:29 pm

Honey of a City wrote:

I wonder if the 'third party construction' is the gas line works presently leaving a scar through city footpaths? Nathan mentioned that was the reason for a delay to the North Terrace upgrade that was meant to finish last year (but has yet to even start).
Keep Adelaide Weird

ghs

#670 Post by ghs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:09 am

On the subject of Chinatown being re - developed, how about some of the chinese shops improve there business practices.
Most of the chinese hairdressers have no idea about how to cut your hair and a lot of the asian food outlets sell food which
can quite easily put you in hospital.

Also, the Central market and Chinatown is only open on Friday nights, how about opening it on the other nights ??

It would be great to improve the vibrancy of Chinatown but we need to sensible about it. I can't see much changing with this
planned upgrade.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#671 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 am

Bentham street should be on hold until the travelodge completed. Bring forward Leigh street it makes sense. Otherwise Bentham will be dug up again.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#672 Post by Eurostar » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:38 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm
The laneways host dozens of small businesses with outdoor dinning / drinking areas, being a lane it has shady and sunny areas the customer has choices, lanes are also more intimate and personal. The Squares should be upgraded but not at the expense of the laneways, the laneways bring in people and money the squares are good for lots of things like festivals, but they don't have any options for small businesses unless you close the roads, which ain't going to happen. We need laneways to gather with friends and family and squares to gather as a community, the parklands are also a wasted opportunity so much space so little is used.
I think Gawler Place should of been upgraded not Bank Street etc.

Llessur2002

#673 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:02 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:38 pm
The bit that already has just been upgraded, or continue the upgrade further south? If the latter, do you mean pedestrianise the whole length? Whilst I'm fully supportive of discouraging car use within the CBD and have no problems with pedestrianisation in general, would the southern part really be a priority given that the retail offering dies off considerably south of Pirie Street? I can see a possible argument for pedestianisation between Grenfell and Pirie but also suspect that the patronage of the eateries in that section is very skewed towards the weekday lunchtime trade and less towards relaxed outdoor dining.

Bank Street, Leigh Street and Peel Street are small laneways where mixing of people and cars isn't really ideal. Pedestrianisation not only improves safety but helps create intimacy and defines them as distinct spaces. Gawler Place is a much wider road and would have more of a mall feel if closed to cars - great for the established retail area that exists between North Terrace and Grenfell, but not ideal further south.

Rundle Street surely has to be the next contender for pedestrianisation? ACC should develop the UPark site for something more worthy of the prime location. Wilson Centrepoint parking could most likely be tweaked for entry off of Pulteney Street.

rhino

#674 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 pm
I think the East End strip should be extended into Rundle Mall, activate it at night time with restaurants, cafes, etc
Eurostar wrote:
I suspect you are verballising thought bubbles as they float to the surface?
cheers,
Rhino

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#675 Post by Eurostar » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:02 pm
Eurostar wrote:
The bit that already has just been upgraded, or continue the upgrade further south? If the latter, do you mean pedestrianise the whole length? Whilst I'm fully supportive of discouraging car use within the CBD and have no problems with pedestrianisation in general, would the southern part really be a priority given that the retail offering dies off considerably south of Pirie Street? I can see a possible argument for pedestianisation between Grenfell and Pirie but also suspect that the patronage of the eateries in that section is very skewed towards the weekday lunchtime trade and less towards relaxed outdoor dining.

Bank Street, Leigh Street and Peel Street are small laneways where mixing of people and cars isn't really ideal. Pedestrianisation not only improves safety but helps create intimacy and defines them as distinct spaces. Gawler Place is a much wider road and would have more of a mall feel if closed to cars - great for the established retail area that exists between North Terrace and Grenfell, but not ideal further south.

Rundle Street surely has to be the next contender for pedestrianisation? ACC should develop the UPark site for something more worthy of the prime location. Wilson Centrepoint parking could most likely be tweaked for entry off of Pulteney Street.
Part between Grenfell and Wakefield Street I am refering to. I think here cars and people can coexist as its only one way. Things that I think should be done is fix the footpaths , the lighting, more greenery, family friendly affordable eateries and a weekend market (around by the Pirie Street intersection).