News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2626 Post by PeFe » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:25 am

Its a bummer that Tiger will ditch the Adelaide - Sydney route.

I have used them quite a lot and I am in no doubt that airfares between Adelaide and Sydney will rise now that Jetstar is the only "budget" airline servicing this route.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2627 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 am

adelaide transport wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:00 pm
Virgin CEO has today announced that it is cutting 5 routes from April. One of those is the Adelaide to Sydney route.
As well they are selling of their 7 Airbus A321 planes and will use only 737 aircraft.
That would be A320's - Tiger don't have A321's, and they've been slowly doing this for years.

It looks like it's part of a broader plan to ultimately ditch Tiger, and possibly revert Virgin back to a LCC.

cammo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2628 Post by cammo » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:07 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 am
It looks like it's part of a broader plan to ultimately ditch Tiger, and possibly revert Virgin back to a LCC.
Do you have a source for this or just your personal opinion?

I know this is the wet dream of certain VirginBlue fanboys on other aviation forums, but the current management of VA have made no indication that this is their plan, and have publicly said the opposite. I also doubt they would be shifting 2 737's from mainline to Tiger if they were secretly hatching a plan to close Tiger down.

Whilst I certainly don't hold much affection for Tiger, I hope they never turn VA back into a LCC - that would be a disaster for the corporate/business segment in Australia.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2629 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:45 am

cammo wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:07 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 am
Do you have a source for this or just your personal opinion?

I know this is the wet dream of certain VirginBlue fanboys on other aviation forums, but the current management of VA have made no indication that this is their plan, and have publicly said the opposite. I also doubt they would be shifting 2 737's from mainline to Tiger if they were secretly hatching a plan to close Tiger down.

Whilst I certainly don't hold much affection for Tiger, I hope they never turn VA back into a LCC - that would be a disaster for the corporate/business segment in Australia.
Purely opinion. VA has an identity crisis at the moment in that it doens't know whether it wants to be a LCC or a full service carrier, so you end up with his weird compromise where they promote food/drink being included on the flights which is a protein ball and a cup of juice

Ho Really

#2630 Post by Ho Really » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:43 am

Just a heads up... Low-cost Filipino carrier Cebu Pacific is exploring expanding routes to Australia over the next few years. They are considering the possibility of adding Adelaide, Perth and the Gold Coast to Sydney and Melbourne where they already fly five and three times a week. They want to bolster those two destinations before expanding. Since the airline has acquired the new Airbus A321neo routes to other Australian cities are now a real possibility.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2631 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:00 am

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:43 am
Just a heads up... Low-cost Filipino carrier Cebu Pacific is exploring expanding routes to Australia over the next few years. They are considering the possibility of adding Adelaide, Perth and the Gold Coast to Sydney and Melbourne where they already fly five and three times a week. They want to bolster those two destinations before expanding. Since the airline has acquired the new Airbus A321neo routes to other Australian cities are now a real possibility.

Cheers
They have some...err..lets just say intimate set ups on their planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rndKN8wzaLg

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2632 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Here are some photos of the newly opened section

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#2633 Post by ginzahikari » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Is that wall next to Gate 14 permanent? Its plain colour seems quite dead considering there are tables and chairs on the other side

Ho Really

#2634 Post by Ho Really » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:59 pm
Is that wall next to Gate 14 permanent? [...]
No it's not. The hoarding will be removed. Go back one page and you'll see the hoardings in the fitout diagram from the terminal expansion newsletter I posted.

Cheers

Ho Really

#2635 Post by Ho Really » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:03 pm

These are the stairs and escalator from Level 2 to the International Departures (Emigration/Security Screening/Passport Control) on Level 1. Travellers then will go back up to to the International Departures Gates.

Cheers

Patrick_27

#2636 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 pm

Looks great! I've had a pretty thorough look through the plans, and as I understand it the whole interior of the terminal will get a cosmetic facelift however it doesn't specify whether the main concourse is part of this, which I'd have said was the most dire in need, the carpet is getting tatty and the seats are both uncomfortable and falling apart.

Probably my only gripe with this whole thing is that HJ's are staying where they are which I've always felt that it's the worst place for a fast food outlet; and whilst I like the fact that there is a much bigger entrance to the international departures, it's kind of weird that you'll go downstairs to do all the security checks then back upstairs to wait for your flight...

Ho Really

#2637 Post by Ho Really » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 pm
[...] and whilst I like the fact that there is a much bigger entrance to the international departures, it's kind of weird that you'll go downstairs to do all the security checks then back upstairs to wait for your flight...
I agree with you. This should've been planned better from the beginning. I mentioned this in an earlier post back a few pages. Perhaps one day if Terminal 1 becomes fully International all this can come back to Level 2. You never know.

Cheers

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#2638 Post by Stefan P » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Afternoon all,

Singapore airlines is suspending flights from and to Singapore from March 31st to May 1st

Qatar is suspending flights from March 21st to March 31st. Then only will operate 5 times weekly been Wednesday and Sunday the flight day they won’t operate until June 1st then it will go back to normal after that.

Malindo also suspended as of Friday

Air New Zealand also suspended until July.

An announcement from Malaysia and Emirates in the coming days.
Stefan

tristanj
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2639 Post by tristanj » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:33 pm

Singapore Airlines flights from Adelaide will now be suspended from 25 March to 1 May.

Emirates also just confirmed their Adelaide flights are suspended from 23 March to 20 May.

Ho Really

#2640 Post by Ho Really » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:19 am

Cathay Pacific reduces passenger flights to near zero
Analysts say Hong Kong carrier will need help from shareholders Air China and Swire to survive

Primrose Riordan and Nicolle Liu in Hong Kong AN HOUR AGO (21 March, 2020)

Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific Airways plans to reduce its passenger capacity by 96 per cent over the next two months because of the coronavirus, fuelling doubts over whether the flag carrier of Asia’s main international financial hub can survive without a bailout.

[...]

Paul Yong, an equity analyst at DBS Bank, said he believed Cathay could survive for six to nine months even if passenger revenue was zero. He said the company would receive a bailout if needed “just because they’re so much an important part of the economic ecosystem” of Hong Kong.

Cathay had about HK$25bn (US$3.2bn) in cash, Mr Yong said. He estimated the airline would burn through HK$3bn in cash expenses each month, mainly consisting of wages, aircraft leases, maintenance and parking.

“They do have the balance sheet strength and cash in hand to manage through the current situation . . . [but] they will need help from their suppliers and potentially from the government,” Mr Yong said.

For the whole article subscribers only see the Financial Times
Cheers