[U/C] Magill/Portrush Road Intersection Upgrade | $98m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: Magill/Portrush Road Intersection Upgrade | $98m

#46 Post by Norman » Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Here is a concept map from March 2020

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by Ho Really » Sun May 03, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm at 10-15 minute walking distance from this. I think it is a piece of shite. All it does is it gets a few more vehicles across the intersection on a cycle of lights and then the congestion starts again. Band aid solution (perhaps not even that).

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Patrick_27

#48 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:43 pm
I'm at 10-15 minute walking distance from this. I think it is a piece of shite. All it does is it gets a few more vehicles across the intersection on a cycle of lights and then the congestion starts again. Band aid solution (perhaps not even that).

Cheers
Not to mention, the worst part of this intersection, having regularly travelled through it during peak hour from every direction is Magill Road heading east. How does fixing this intersection improve the five other intersections trucks have to cross along Portrush Road, it doesn't. I say leave this and find a better, long-term solution.

Waewick

#49 Post by Waewick » Sun May 03, 2020 11:37 pm

Ho Really wrote:I'm at 10-15 minute walking distance from this. I think it is a piece of shite. All it does is it gets a few more vehicles across the intersection on a cycle of lights and then the congestion starts again. Band aid solution (perhaps not even that).

Cheers
That's exactly the point though, but making turning safer and easier will improve the flow of that intersection. (Turning lanes often trail back so far they impede a non turning lane).

You would think any real solution is decades away and will fundamentally need to acquire the same land being acquired today.

So in reality, this is saving us money in the long term by getting houses bought and bitumen down now, rather than waiting decades and property prices rising even further.

Or do you want the SA position of doing nothing now, until the perfect solution can be found sometime into the future?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by Eurostar » Mon May 04, 2020 8:24 am

A tunnel from north of Magill Road intersection to south of Greenhill Road intersection would work better

bits
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by bits » Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 am

Eurostar wrote:A tunnel from north of Magill Road intersection to south of Greenhill Road intersection would work better
But that is a massively expensive tunnel that is not at all close to the budget for this project.

This gets a few driveways off a major road that should have never had driveways on it to begin with. That is as big a win as the more lanes.
As time goes on I am sure all residential properties will get kicked off Portrush Road as it slowly turns in to the main road it should have always been.

Only in Adelaide do you have every major road lined with driveways and side streets. It is dumb and needs to be undone.

If there is other bottlenecks further up eg Portush/Payneham I am sure they will get upgraded in time also.

If you live on critical sections of South Road, Portrush Road, Cross Road, etc I am sure your house will be removed. It is only a matter of when.

Nort

#52 Post by Nort » Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am

bits wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 am
Eurostar wrote:A tunnel from north of Magill Road intersection to south of Greenhill Road intersection would work better
But that is a massively expensive tunnel that is not at all close to the budget for this project.

This gets a few driveways off a major road that should have never had driveways on it to begin with. That is as big a win as the more lanes.
As time goes on I am sure all residential properties will get kicked off Portrush Road as it slowly turns in to the main road it should have always been.

Only in Adelaide do you have every major road lined with driveways and side streets. It is dumb and needs to be undone.

If there is other bottlenecks further up eg Portush/Payneham I am sure they will get upgraded in time also.

If you live on critical sections of South Road, Portrush Road, Cross Road, etc I am sure your house will be removed. It is only a matter of when.
Portrush Road is somewhat understandable (as compared to South Road) given that Portrush Road was never originally intended to be the sort of major road it has become with the construction of the Heysen Tunnels and Freeway.

SBD

#53 Post by SBD » Mon May 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am
bits wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 am

Portrush Road is somewhat understandable (as compared to South Road) given that Portrush Road was never originally intended to be the sort of major road it has become with the construction of the Heysen Tunnels and Freeway.
Lower Portrush Road and the bridge over the Torrens only date from the mid-1960s. The OG Road bridge is older, but I suspect traffic trying to get from southeast to northwest Adelaide actually used Fullarton and Hackney Roads.

Two lanes each way between Magill and Kensington Roads is less than 30 years old
The Heysen Tunnels are from 2000. The freeway east of Crafers from the 1970s.

Maybe driving around Adelaide now would be easier if the MATS plan had been implemented in the 1970s, but I don't think I can blame my parents' generation for not doing it, either. Less freeways and more people living close to their employment would be better than filling freeways with commuters.

Nort

#54 Post by Nort » Mon May 04, 2020 1:29 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 pm
Here is a concept map from March 2020

Looking at the map again, I hope they are actually buying more property there than they actually need to. With this plan there would be multiple driveways on the South side of the intersection directly on the turn left lane just after it opens up. That seems like a massive accident risk from vehicles entering and leaving driveways.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Magill/Portrush Road Intersection Upgrade | $98m

#55 Post by Vasco » Mon May 04, 2020 2:04 pm

As Burnside Village expansion has now been put on hold, but with demolition already complete on small neighbourhood shops in North East corner formerly facing Greenhill road.

Would be good to see the govt Aquire a bit more land from this vacant lot while it has the chance and expand the intersection, as well as some of the shops on the opposite side of Greenhill. I know this has had a bit of work in the past, however it’s been a bit piecemeal and personally to me seems like the busiest junction to me, especially when Burnside Village is busy with traffic trying to go in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBG

#56 Post by EBG » Mon May 04, 2020 2:47 pm

I agree with Vasco. this is a very busy intersection and now is the time to do something ie at least buy some land.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed May 06, 2020 11:40 pm

There needs to be median bus lanes on Magill Rd from Portrush Rd into the city. That will relieve most of the congestion for buses and it won't cost much. Seeing buses fly past while sitting in traffic will encourage a shift to public transport too.

ChillyPhilly

#58 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 13, 2020 1:00 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:40 pm
There needs to be median bus lanes on Magill Rd from Portrush Rd into the city. That will relieve most of the congestion for buses and it won't cost much. Seeing buses fly past while sitting in traffic will encourage a shift to public transport too.
I agree in principle, but Magill Road is quite narrow. Would you suppose a single median lane that reverses flow based on morning/evening peak?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed May 13, 2020 8:11 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:00 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:40 pm
I agree in principle, but Magill Road is quite narrow. Would you suppose a single median lane that reverses flow based on morning/evening peak?
A single bus lane is adequate for a road like this. It could reverse direction at any time with automatic block signalling (like a single track railway). As far as I know, there is only one implementation of this, in Eugene, Oregon. Here's a video of it in action, on both a fully paved road and on grass in the median strip. It's really cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oKsleOocFM

ChillyPhilly

#60 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 pm

I'd definitely be a fan of the idea. I used to work in the warehouse located next to the OTR on the northeastern corner of this intersection (it's SA's Smokemart & Giftbox Warehouse). Magill Road was generally a mess westbound in the afternoon. Right turns north onto Portrush Road were generally a disaster. Anything that improves this aspect of flow is welcome, but currently it is worsened due to imbalanced green light time in favour of Portrush Road.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.