[VIS] New inner-city stadium

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#91 Post by Nort » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

Build it over the railyards.

If it isn't worth the cost of building over that, then it isn't worth losing tens of thousands of square meters of park-lands green space for.

Ho Really

#92 Post by Ho Really » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

If it isn't worth the cost of building over that, then it isn't worth losing tens of thousands of square meters of park-lands green space for.
What exactly do you want to be built over the railyards? A rectangular football stadium or an entertainment-style arena?

An entertainment arena that can stage court sports and also conventions, trade shows, etc., should be built opposite the Convention Centre on Morphett Street. A football stadium needs much more room. Hence the idea of the University Oval suggested by rev. I agree that we should not give up good green space. However if they want the best outcome this is a hard location to beat. We still have a lot of parklands that has not even been reclaimed. There's so much potential there for all sorts of parks. The south parklands for example, and I've said this many times, should be used to store water underground. House reservoirs that can be used to water all the parklands. A huge project that is worth looking into but will have long term beneficial effects. Just like any government now should be looking at assisting farmers state-wide in building dams and underground water storage pumped to the surface by solar or wind power. Water, energy and developments must go together FFS!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Nort

#93 Post by Nort » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 pm
Nort wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

What exactly do you want to be built over the railyards? A rectangular football stadium or an entertainment-style arena?
Whatever is actually needed. In this thread the strange thing is that lots of people are starting with the assumption something needs to be built, and then trying to figure out what it would actually be useful for. Let's start with what needs aren't being met and work up from there.
We still have a lot of parklands that has not even been reclaimed. There's so much potential there for all sorts of parks. The south parklands for example, and I've said this many times, should be used to store water underground. House reservoirs that can be used to water all the parklands. A huge project that is worth looking into but will have long term beneficial effects. Just like any government now should be looking at assisting farmers state-wide in building dams and underground water storage pumped to the surface by solar or wind power. Water, energy and developments must go together FFS!

Cheers
I agree the parklands should be better looked after including extra watering, not sure if there is justification for that being through underwater tanks there or elsewhere (I thought more of the recycled water was going to be used than it seems to be).

When it comes to building speculative infrastructure I despair at the people saying we should spend hundreds of millions for reasons like it might help if there is an Australian world cup at some nebulous point in the future. If there is need for that infrastructure and a good business case then hell yeah get it done.

When we talk about spending so much money simply for a piece of prestige for an election campaign I do wonder what different and beneficial to the state things we could do with that. Plans like you suggest to water more of the parklands, green and landscape more (with some areas also made to more closely resemble their native state) are crucial parts of what I think is needed to make people think of the parklands as a standout feature of our city and not just unused space. They should be our Central Park. Our Hyde Park. Our Gardens By the Bay. Adventure playgrounds to beat what we have out at Saint Kilda. The backyard park for everyone who lives in and around the city.

We are never going to be Sydney or Melbourne, and while we shouldn't use that as an excuse to not compete directly with them where we can, we should also take advantage of what we do have to carve out a niche and do things to make Adelaide a better place to live.

Anyway, that's getting off topic sorry.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#94 Post by d3v310per » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Ignore my extremely poor photoshop skills, but would love to see a covered football stadium west of the Morphett Street bridge. Tons of room for an open plaza facing Morphett Street bridge and possibly other smaller venues. Build cost over the railway lines likely to be pricey but worth a dream! Coopers Stadium overlay is the same scale as background image.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by Eurostar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:47 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 pm
Ignore my extremely poor photoshop skills, but would love to see a covered football stadium west of the Morphett Street bridge. Tons of room for an open plaza facing Morphett Street bridge and possibly other smaller venues. Build cost over the railway lines likely to be pricey but worth a dream! Coopers Stadium overlay is the same scale as background image.

I'd rather that area be used for gardens. A soccer stadium would be best in Bonython Park.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#96 Post by ynotsfables » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:00 pm

That area including over the railway tracks, in my opinion should be reserved for a nice high rise building, it's a skyline changer that spot. The stadium does look good there though.

Nort

#97 Post by Nort » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:47 pm
d3v310per wrote:

I'd rather that area be used for gardens. A soccer stadium would be best in Bonython Park.
It's never going to be considered financially worthwhile to build over the rail lines just for a park, however public park space could be part of any stadium plan like this.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#98 Post by Furyan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:06 pm

Yesterday SA Treasurer Rob Lucas has confirmed that because of falling GST revenues, as a result of COVID-19, long term projects that they had not committed to or funded like the 1.3b inner city sports stadium would not be affordable in the immediate future. :(

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#99 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:03 am

Eurostar wrote:
d3v310per wrote:

Putting the stadium near the station makes it convenient to get to, more than Bonython Park.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#100 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Furyan wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:06 pm
Yesterday SA Treasurer Rob Lucas has confirmed that because of falling GST revenues, as a result of COVID-19, long term projects that they had not committed to or funded like the 1.3b inner city sports stadium would not be affordable in the immediate future. :(
I for one am shocked that the Liberal government are failing to follow through on a promised construction project

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#101 Post by rev » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:03 am
Eurostar wrote:
d3v310per wrote:

Putting the stadium near the station makes it convenient to get to, more than Bonython Park.
I'd love to say there's no way it would ever be built there, because of possible hospital expansion or further use for the bio-med precinct, or even convention centre expansions, but this is South Australia and short sighted planning and development is the norm so it's more then possible it gets built there one day lol.

Best locations for a rectangular stadium are east of Adelaide Oval along the Torrens or in the southern parklands near the tram line.
East of Adelaide Oval would benefit from the tram line once it's extended further north, is close to the train station and close to city nightlife and most of the big hotels.
Southern parklands is right by the tram line and could serve to further encourage development of the southern part of the city..more high rise less low rise crap. Would also encourage an improvement of the surrounding general parklands to be better maintained. A short hop away from the NSM corridor as well.

I think despite the new delay due to this pandemic, it will still happen sooner then people think.
The demand, or need for it is there. If we had it, we'd be a certainty for FIFA Womens World Cup games, possibly even a Matildas game.
Demand/need will only grow once this pandemic passes and sports codes return to regular seasons and competitions.
And infrastructure is and will be one of those things that governments can throw money at to stimulate the economy, more so in the aftermath of this pandemic then ever before in any of our life times.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by Honey of a City » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Seems to be an appetite for chewing up some more parklands for this. How about considering the Showgrounds? Multiple train routes and the tram already right on the doorstep, and major traffic arteries radiating in all directions. Local parking infrastructure currently servicing tens of thousands of people at the Show and other events. Financial win-win for the Ag Society and other stakeholders. Worked historically for Centennial Hall, cricket, football, trots and many other major events. Currently under-utilised site most of the year. Worth a look?

claybro

#103 Post by claybro » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:16 pm
Seems to be an appetite for chewing up some more parklands for this. How about considering the Showgrounds? Multiple train routes and the tram already right on the doorstep, and major traffic arteries radiating in all directions. Local parking infrastructure currently servicing tens of thousands of people at the Show and other events. Financial win-win for the Ag Society and other stakeholders. Worked historically for Centennial Hall, cricket, football, trots and many other major events. Currently under-utilised site most of the year. Worth a look?
The idea of spending a lazy few hundred million for a sports stadium is to get vibrancy and activity back into the city and build on the already well facilitated sports precinct. While we agree that Wayville Showgrounds are under utilised, swapping one inner suburban location for another one to build the rectangular stadium is not what they had in mind.

Patrick_27

#104 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:04 am

claybro wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:27 pm
Honey of a City wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:16 pm
The idea of spending a lazy few hundred million for a sports stadium is to get vibrancy and activity back into the city and build on the already well facilitated sports precinct. While we agree that Wayville Showgrounds are under utilised, swapping one inner suburban location for another one to build the rectangular stadium is not what they had in mind.
If an arena is timed to be complete first, build a new football/soccer stadium on ETSA Park and tie in a relocated Mile End train station plus touted tramline to Adelaide Airport, or alternatively, you have the Entertainment Centre site which has tramline access and nearby trainline access. There is no need to chew up more parkland for these projects.

claybro

#105 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:04 am
If an arena is timed to be complete first, build a new football/soccer stadium on ETSA Park and tie in a relocated Mile End train station plus touted tramline to Adelaide Airport, or alternatively, you have the Entertainment Centre site which has tramline access and nearby trainline access. There is no need to chew up more parkland for these projects.
Again, this is not just about proximity to public transport. It is about adding vibrancy and critical mass to the city. Mile end does not do that. There is nothing around the Mile end site. No bars, cafes, pubs..nothing except a giant Bunnings. If we are hyperventilating over building on the parklands, then as others have said, put it next to Morphett Street Bridge behind the medical precinct, or on the Next Generation/Memorial Drive site. And yes I am aware these sites are already technically the parklands.