[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 60m | 17lvls | Residential

#136 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:59 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:09 pm
A tower on the site of the hall behind would be a good way to block out the view of Dwell from North Tce.

But an idea I've pondered recently is whether it could be acquired by the state government for a long-awaited concert hall. The riverbank is the obvious contender for such a venue, but this site has the advantage of being a grand & iconic edifice, located on North Terrace and in proximity to the Elder Conservatorium of Music.
I appreciate the sentiment of what you're saying, but a concert hall of the size desired by both the ASO and the state government would simply not fit in this building, it might make for a decent recital centre (similar to what Melbourne have, only a heritage building) because it already has the hall with the stage and a recital centre would ultimately require smaller capacity raked seating, but whether a recital centre in Adelaide separate from a concert hall would be viable? Freemason's wouldn't even fit a modest 1,000 seat concert hall and it would be virtually impossible to extend the building too far out the back because this building practically backs out onto Synagogue Place.

IMO this news isn't really positive, with the words 'extensive concrete cancer' what would now stop any developer buying this site and tearing down the building because it's too expensive to repair. This is exactly what happened to the Foy&Gibson/South Australian Hotel building on the corner of Pulteney and Rundle Street(s) in the mid-70s, thrown into the 'too expensive, too hard' basket and torn down.
Yeah, size limitations would be a challenge although I'll note the parking shed on the site to the west (earmarked for development by UoA) could enable some room to manoeuvre. But only a thought bubble.

Regarding the concrete cancer, it is concerning although one hopes the state heritage listing (and the Freemasons' good intent) would protect it. The relevant cautionary tale in my mind is not the Grand Central Hotel (which I don't recall being heritage listed nor particularly compromised) but rather Centennial Hall at the showgrounds (which was a local heritage place but also apparently riddled with decay too expensive to repair).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#137 Post by Alyx » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm

The Advertiser wrote:A 160m tower would rise above Freemasons Hall on North Tce as part of a plan to breathe new life into one of Adelaide’s grandest heritage buildings.

The $120m proposal would include a mix of hotel, student accommodation, office and hospitality spaces, and would be topped with a restaurant and public viewing platform.

If approved, it would become Adelaide’s tallest building by more than 20m, and our city’s first skyscraper, which in modern times is generally accepted as being a building exceeding 150m.

Members of the local Freemasons branch are considering the proposal, which would raise much-needed funds for repairs and ongoing maintenance of the existing heritage-listed building that opened in 1927.

Project consultant Michael Baragwanath has delivered to members a 96-page report that recommends they vote in favour of the development proposal rather than sell the site as is or raise funds elsewhere.

A joint-venture partner likely would be brought in to support the project, which would include 200 hotel rooms, 204 student accommodation beds, two levels of office space and a restaurant and observation area across the top three floors.

It would span more than 33,000sq m across at least 33 storeys. A tapered pillar design, inspired by the architectural principle of “Entasis”, would be seen mainly in the design of classical columns.

Mr Baragwanath also has been in talks with the History Trust of South Australia to explore the idea of restoring and transforming four floors of Freemasons Hall into a museum of South Australian history.

The History Trust is currently developing a business case for a new museum, which would showcase artefacts and significant South Australian items that have not had a dedicated place to display them.

Mr Baragwanath said the proposed development had already attracted strong global interest, particularly from hotel brands wanting to establish a presence in Adelaide.

“North Tce is our state’s cultural boulevard – its proximity to the University of Adelaide, to Lot Fourteen and Rundle St lends itself to a multipurpose building with a strong focus on public use,” he said.

“Multi-functional building design is a modern concept where tall buildings are designed around the idea of an ecosystem, not a single function.

“Our early discussions with leading hotel brands have generated significant interest. In addition, strong domestic demand and rising wealth in the Indo-Pacific region also continues to create a growing need for student accommodation in the Adelaide market.”

Consultation on the development proposal is currently being undertaken with about 1500 members of the local Freemasons branch.

A formal vote on the recommendation will happen in July or August.

Freemasons SA/NT Grand Master David Booker said the project would allow Freemasonry to “retain a visible and active role in the community”.

“This is a unique opportunity to control our future into the next century by generating an estimated $6.5m per year that can be reinvested into preserving heritage in regional and suburban lodges across South Australia and the Northern Territory, and offsetting the significant annual maintenance costs of Freemasons Hall,” he said.

It was revealed last July that Freemasons Hall had “extensive concrete cancer”, and $2.2m was needed for urgent repairs to address public safety concerns.

A further $6.4m was also needed over the coming decade to bring the building up to modern standards and compliance requirements.

The building currently comprises six levels of office and meeting rooms, three lodge rooms, kitchens, reception and banqueting rooms, a Masonic museum and library.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... 8bwFc1cjwk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#138 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:12 pm

I welcome a building in this location both for the opportunity it presents to restore the heritage building and to block out views to Dwell behind. However, I think the proposed height is probably overambitious, especially considering its only access will be from the very narrow laneways.
Last edited by SRW on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#139 Post by cmet » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:13 pm

wow

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#140 Post by floplo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:12 pm
I welcome a building in this location both for the opportunity it presents to restore the heritage building and to block out views to Dwell behind. However, I think the proposed height is probably overambitious, especially considering its only access will be from the very narrow laneways.
Do you mean car access? They can create access on both sides of the North terrace freemason building as well as run it down Synagogue Place, which is also the hotel access for the Crowne Plaza. I assume that student accommodation does not require car parking, so they will likely strike a deal with the car park next door for the hotel parking.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 160m | 39lvls | Mixed Use | NEW TALLEST

#141 Post by HiTouch » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:45 pm

Looks amazing

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#142 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:44 pm

What's the context for that "unprecedented negotiation of aviation authorities height" line in the image?

Is it the proposal saying they have already had those discussions and negotiated that this could happen in the location, or commenting that such a negotiation would be unprecedented?

Patrick_27

#143 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm

This is the kind of development that I welcome! My only concern is the reasonably low $125m price tag, I would expect this kind of development to price in the vicinity of $200m…

Nort

#144 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm
This is the kind of development that I welcome! My only concern is the reasonably low $125m price tag, I would expect this kind of development to price in the vicinity of $200m…
33 levels as well, something doesn't add up here considering so many of the levels are targeted as student accommodation.

After the initial excitement of seeing this proposal, a re-reading is making me think it's a lot more of a vision than a proposal at this point, and cynically that it's a vision designed to show what the location could be used for before putting it up for sale when the Freemasons decide they don't want to build it.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#145 Post by AG » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Yes, it's not technically a proposal at this point as the potential developer hasn't even approved it internally within their own organisation, less even a DA lodged.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#146 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 pm

If this is built, it’ll stand next to the monstrosity next door which will forever be placed in images along side this. Sad

Algernon

#147 Post by Algernon » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:01 pm

Mpol02 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 pm
If this is built, it’ll stand next to the monstrosity next door which will forever be placed in images along side this. Sad
I think the blue glass really brings out the red brick of the wilsons car park

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#148 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:08 pm

Mpol02 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 pm
Which building? the carpark? There is a future tower proposed for there by Adelaide Uni. it won't be there that long.
Attachments
Adelaide Uni.JPG

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#149 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:11 pm

I welcome this! :applause: :applause:

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#150 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:19 pm

Sorry I meant the current student accom currently being built.

Love that ADL Uni proposal